Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED: Omega V6 Saloon Auto  (Read 5166 times)

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
WANTED: Omega V6 Saloon Auto
« on: 12 April 2013, 13:01:44 »

Hi,

Well my car will be heading to scrap heap heaven soon and I would need another one by Sunday/Monday as I need to get back on the road ASAP. It simply has to be an Omega, I can't drive anything less then that at this point, all the convincing in the world wont work, unless its an BMW E39 or a S-Class. ;D

I had an Estate before but I'd rather try out a saloon this time. I've seen a couple go here literally missing them by seconds which is a real shame. The requirements are:
  • Has To Be An Automatic
  • 2.5 V6 and above, I'd actually like a 2.6 / 3.0 / 3.2 just to get a feel of what they are like.
  • If there is no M.O.T it MUST be M.O.T worthy.
  • Black or Silver Preferred But Not To Fussed.
  • Leather Seats Are A Bonus.

And that's about it. Thanks!  :y

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED: Omega V6 Saloon Auto
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2013, 13:12:55 »

Nowt wrong with the thread a few down from yours fella, 3.2 Elite auto in black. :y :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=113751.0
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2013, 13:21:55 »

:D :D :D

Any advice on the cat sensor thingamajig?

Thanks!  :y

RobseyMV6

• west sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2013, 13:30:59 »

As said my elite is ready to drive away today, very powerful car and a lovely ride.

Common problem on 3.2 cars that eml light, been on the five years I've had it, to me it don't drink anymore fuel the my others.

But up to you of course :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2013, 13:34:31 »

As said my elite is ready to drive away today, very powerful car and a lovely ride.

Common problem on 3.2 cars that eml light, been on the five years I've had it, to me it don't drink anymore fuel the my others.

But up to you of course :)
This fault is easily fixed by moving the 2 rear lamda sensors from behind the starting cat to behind the main cat. About £15 for parts, and a bit of cutting and welding.

Ultimately, this needs to be done for all 3.2 Omegas - I suspect mine will need it soon
Grumpy old man

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2013, 13:38:23 »

Is there any competent mechanics in London willing to do a job like that without butchering the exhaust system completely and charging me an arm and a leg for the privilege?  :-X

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2013, 13:52:20 »

Other option is a code reader /resetter that will reset the codes on the few occasions they appear ... around £80 for a decent one .. cheapo crap off ebay less than £20.

I reset mine twice a year it seems ... and it takes less than 2 minutes :) (including stopping, finding reader, doing the job, putting reader back, driving off..)  :) :)

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2013, 14:58:59 »

Other option is a code reader /resetter that will reset the codes on the few occasions they appear ... around £80 for a decent one .. cheapo crap off ebay less than £20.

I reset mine twice a year it seems ... and it takes less than 2 minutes :) (including stopping, finding reader, doing the job, putting reader back, driving off..)  :) :)

Oh, so the sensor thing is just a bug? It's not actually faulty? Fair enough then.  :y

ted_one

« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2013, 15:10:47 »

I've got two  3.2's both with the problem you are asking about,I've got the bits to fix the problem just need somebody to do the job,but as everyone is saying it does'nt affect the running of the car but I think the EML is going to be subject to the MOT in future.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2013, 16:11:34 »

Some will come back within days...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2013, 16:15:10 »

Oh, so the sensor thing is just a bug? It's not actually faulty? Fair enough then.  :y
Its sort of a fault.

Modern cars (ODBII compliant cars) use a second sensor to measure cat efficiency.

On an Omega, these 2nd sensors (V6 has 2, one per cylinder bank) are after the "starting cat", but in front of the main cat, so in effect is measuring the efficiency of the starting cat, not the main cat.  On the 3.2, these starting cats do degrade, thus flagging the cat efficiency codes (P0420 and P0430).

Solution, move these 2 sensors behind the main cat (involves cutting in a hole, and welding a boss in, to screw the sensor into)
Grumpy old man

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2013, 16:55:51 »

Thanks for the informative right up. So in essence, it is considered a design flaw by cheapskates? (like me  ;D)

How much do starting cats cost to replace? They can't be that expensive can they? Does the same fault apply to the 2.6 or is it just mainly the 3.2? Wouldn't failing / clogged starter cats cause some kind of performance / mpg decrease anyway?

While we are on the subject of starter cats, if I do choose to have the sensors modified, wouldn't it make more sense to also get rid of the starter cats completely? (decat / gutout) seen as the issue is caused by them failing in the first place, why keep them there? Unless I'm missing something here.

Thanks again!  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2013, 18:36:55 »

as your scrapping your 2.5, take the downpipes of and modify to fit 3.2.
Hoof'land storeman.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2013, 20:18:02 »

Thanks for the informative right up. So in essence, it is considered a design flaw by cheapskates? (like me  ;D)

How much do starting cats cost to replace? They can't be that expensive can they? Does the same fault apply to the 2.6 or is it just mainly the 3.2? Wouldn't failing / clogged starter cats cause some kind of performance / mpg decrease anyway?

While we are on the subject of starter cats, if I do choose to have the sensors modified, wouldn't it make more sense to also get rid of the starter cats completely? (decat / gutout) seen as the issue is caused by them failing in the first place, why keep them there? Unless I'm missing something here.

Thanks again!  :y

Not really a design flaw .. more a design compromise. The very small precat heats up quickly and with the lambda right after it the engine will go into "closed loop" very much quicker. The "control" this gives the ECU ensures that the emissions drop from starting values to very low, very quickly .... and with modern legislation the emissions level of an engine control a great many commercial attributes .. advertising, tax bands, etc etc etc.

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2013, 17:39:17 »

Jabe, call me - your inbox is full and I cant send you a PM.
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.