Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of an era  (Read 1386 times)

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
End of an era
« on: 18 June 2021, 21:17:20 »

I no longer own an Omega as I have recently part exchanged my much loved 2004 2.2 automatic CDX estate which I have owned since 2007 for a 1993 Mercedes S124 E220 automatic estate.

The Omega has been ultra reliable all the time I have owned it hence I have rarely had to post on this excellent forum and it had just reached 140,000 miles with all original suspension, apart from new front wishbones a few years ago.  The new owner is really pleased with it and has just had it waxoyled to preserve  the excellent bodywork.  I have told him about this forum and hopefully he will start posting soon.

I bought the Mercedes as it was a Japanese import some years ago and then prepared to concours standard by the enthusiastic owner so it really is in mint condition and too good to miss for the price.  In fact it is a very similar car to the Omega in many ways with the same size 16 valve engine and 4 speed auto box etc.  I will miss the Omega very much but I cannot justify 2 cars any more and I still have my wife's Focus estate as a stand in if needed.  The indestructible Merc will hopefully see me out and I will still keep an eye on this forum.  I must clear out my shed soon and sell the spares I have accumulated over the years.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: End of an era
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2021, 14:02:42 »

The hydraulic self levelling rear suspension will be a notable, useful, difference.

The suspension set up is very different to the Omega, but they both use a steering box and have similar sized wheels/tyres so the driving experience will be quite similar 8)

Servicing parts are very similarly priced as well :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2021, 14:08:59 »

Indestructible Mercedes is, and always ways, a myth. That's especially true if it doesn't get regular open wallet work throughout its life.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2021, 14:14:41 »

To be fair, at least their older service schedule, like Volvo, is comprehensive.

It seems expensive on paper because it includes everything that is required both on time and mileage, rather than the 20k mile wipe over with a rag that passes for mainstream servicing nowadays.

Rust issues aside, even an Omega would last forever given proper maintenance...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2021, 21:19:06 »

Think you will do very well with a 1993 Mercedes my first 190e was that year , I bought it in 2007 totally immaculate sold it in 2010 & it's still going strong.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2021, 20:03:50 »

One of the main reasons for me buying the Mercedes is the quality of the build, it was the golden era of Mercedes before the bean counters stepped in and ruined them to make a bigger profit.

We have a house in The Gambia and spend the winters there, using the local taxis to travel around because they are cheap and plentiful.  Most of them are Mercedes, generally 190 diesels, 124 diesels and even a few 123 models, there are literally dozens of them still in everyday use.  They appear to have minimal servicing and are driven with very little mechanical sympathy on some of the the worst roads imaginable in the blazing heat.  Virtually no other cars of that era are still running around and I was really impressed by the strength of them, if the Gambians can't kill them I must get one for myself.  I have seen just 2 Omegas in our travels there and both had obviously been immobile for a while.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2021, 20:47:31 »

Get on the Barra ferry and deep into Senegal if you think Gambian roads are bad   :o

we used to hire a car and driver for the day 100-200 Delasi

the diff noise ,suspension clanging etc is worrying and annoying till the 10th Julbrew of the morning  ;D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2021, 08:55:25 »

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1788771&i=0

Always good to read up on other owners experiences . There is another thread on PH which is just as interesting , a gold estate , I'll post it once I find it .
Lovely old barges , I wish you much pleasure with it .
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.