Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spitfire  (Read 1204 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Spitfire
« on: 12 July 2021, 10:20:51 »

My daughter very generously treated me to a Spitfire flight for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a fabulous trip in MJ627 from Biggin Hill, coincidentally where I first went for aircrew selection, longer ago than I care to remember. The hour long trip took us round several of the old Battle of Britain airfields, and also along the coast past the white cliffs. I persuaded the pilot to do a few aeros including victory rolls, he didn't take much persuading!
I was able to fly the Spit for some minutes and had a wonderful day out. The experience included a full tour of the Heritage Hangar where they build, maintain and display Spitfire, Hurricane, and Messerschmitt aircraft, shown in a programme series on More4. This was also a trip down memory lane, as my qualifying exam as an engine fitter, included doing the valve and ignition timing on a Merlin engine, albeit on a Lanc.
Interestingly, I last saw MJ627 several years ago doing a display at East Kirkby (also home to a Lanc which they hope to get airworthy), flown by ex BBMF pilot (of 24 years at  BBMF!) S/L Paul Day. I approached him as he dismounted in the hangar afterwards to congratulate him on the display, to which he said" You're not the police are you?" No doubt as the display was, shall we say, perhaps slightly unconventional, but exhilarating.
A quote attributed to Paul Day was: 'A Lancaster is a waste of four good Merlins'.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2021, 11:05:50 »

Sounds like you had a great day, Chris  :y

I'd hate to think what an hour in a spitfire must cost  :o
Diesel till I die

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2021, 11:34:43 »

Yes, it was a stand-out day in my life. Fortunately my daughter is well paid, but nevertheless it was extremely generous of her. She also paid for herself, her husband and my wife to go up alongside for 10 minutes or so in a small air taxi to get airborne pics. My flight included two films from front and back of my cockpit for the flight duration. I haven't watched them yet as I haven't worked out what gizmo I need to connect it to the TV.
For anyone interested in WW2 aviation, B.of B. etc., I can thoroughly recommend it. Having spent my working life in aviation, starting my aircrew career on Shackletons and retiring on a modern jet, I had forgotten how basic the flying panels were on early A/C, all credit to our young forefathers who went up to fight in these planes, sometimes with as few as 10 hours solo.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2021, 12:32:16 »

What a treat Shackeng!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I just dream about such a flight, always have since I first saw Spitfires that were still crossing over Tunbridge Wells in the 1950's, that my dad loved pointing out.  Now I continually see them over our part of Kent, almost daily, with that incredible sound from their Merlin engine. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Maybe one day..................... ::) ::) ::) ::)

Nice one again Shackeng! :D :D :y

« Last Edit: 12 July 2021, 12:33:47 by Lizzie Zoom »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2021, 12:33:35 »

Film: see my second post.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2021, 12:34:20 »

Film: see my second post.

Yes, just have and amended my post accordingly! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2021, 13:06:35 »

Excellent!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2021, 18:00:38 »

That's some present. 8)

If you were doing it any time around the 2nd to 4th July you probably flew over me as I was camping near Hastingleigh and saw several spitfire "sorties" heading to the coast and back. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2021, 19:51:02 »

Sounds like an awesome day!  8)  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.