Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my built-in phone legal?  (Read 6138 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Is my built-in phone legal?
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2007, 16:54:15 »

i have a fitted mobile kit in my car, it doesnt cut the radio and i have to push a button on it to answer -so its ok. what if your screen suddenly misted up would you get knicked for pressing a demister button etc, id like to see that in court- why did you take your hand off of the steering wheel -answer i was doing 70 down the motorway and had to do it to avoid a 25 car pile up- enough said !!!!
All properly fitted kits should mute radio, and have an option to autoanswer (and hangup)...  :-/
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2007, 17:23:07 »

how do you change the cassette,

Ahh, that's what the other little slot in my CDR2006 is for. Thought I vaguely recognised it!

As for phones, I think, like everything, if a traffic cop has the opinion that it's causing you to drive without due care and attention you'll be nicked anyway. If not, they're unlikely to try to get you on a technicality like what button you used to answer it.

Using a hand held phone is a separate offence on its' own so it doesn't have to have affected your driving for you to be nicked.

You've got to be unlucky enough to be seen by a traffic cop first though. Only ones I've seen in ages have been on blues and twos or at the side of the road attending to a saxo embedded in the bushes.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2007, 17:59:40 »

From what ive heard on the radio......if the phone is secured to the car (ie mounting kit, your not allowed to hold the phone even if you do have handsfree) then its fine to press a button to answer/hang up. Tho excessive button pressing (texting) is not!

I usually press the button on my bluetooth headset to answer/hangup. I dont use auto answer as sometimes it either inconvient or I dont want to speak the caller at that time.
Ive also just finished recording voice tags, so i dont have to use the address book on my phone

Tho be warned for those who dont have handsfree, a ticket and points were dished out to a motorist that had pulled over in a layby to use his phone. Whats wrong with that???....apparently he had left his engine running while making the call and got done on a technicality....that he was still in control of the car.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2007, 18:08:08 »

From what ive heard on the radio......if the phone is secured to the car (ie mounting kit, your not allowed to hold the phone even if you do have handsfree) then its fine to press a button to answer/hang up. Tho excessive button pressing (texting) is not!

I usually press the button on my bluetooth headset to answer/hangup. I dont use auto answer as sometimes it either inconvient or I dont want to speak the caller at that time.
Ive also just finished recording voice tags, so i dont have to use the address book on my phone

Tho be warned for those who dont have handsfree, a ticket and points were dished out to a motorist that had pulled over in a layby to use his phone. Whats wrong with that???....apparently he had left his engine running while making the call and got done on a technicality....that he was still in control of the car.
Yeah, you have to take the keys out of the ignition or be completely off public roads.  However, I would argue that one to death on the points as it is unreasonable to call it a 'moving violation'.  It also seriously undermines the intent of the law, since using a layby in cold weather is not a legal option.  Classic stealth tax/unchecked authority over safety.  T0ssers!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

STMO123

« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2007, 18:14:16 »

None of this matters a toss, because, as I've said before, to enforce the law you need.......coppers.

I haven't seen a TRAFFIC cop for about three months now.

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2007, 18:21:21 »

Using a hand held mobile phone is now an absolute offence when driving.  Even if you're stopped safely with handbrake applied on a public road, talking by holding mobile phone is illegal.  (There will be saddo police out there who'll stick you on).

If you do not need to 'hold' your phone to make or receive a call, this is not an absolute offence.  So if your phone is in a cradle and you just need to press the buttons to make/receive, then this is not absolute offence - so your question is - not illegal.

However, being in proper control of your vehcile is another matter.  If you cause a crash and it's proved that you were on the phone at the time and that your driving standard fell below that of a careful driver, then - irrespective of whether you were using a cradle or not to make the call, you could be found guilty of an offence.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2007, 18:31:39 »

I'm not confident that it is that clear.  They certainly say that the phone has to be 'fixed' in the car even if using Bluetooth.

If they are stinging people in laybys then you are better off to keep driving, there is twice the chance that a cop will see you in a layby since they might be going by in 2 directions.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 04 March 2007, 18:50:11 »

I haven't seen a TRAFFIC cop for about three months now.

Bet they've seen you tho  ;)

If your local force is anything like mine.....they are using more and more unmarked patrol cars....and they seem to be swapping them over quite often.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #23 on: 04 March 2007, 19:03:08 »

I'm not confident that it is that clear.  They certainly say that the phone has to be 'fixed' in the car even if using Bluetooth.

Builtin to car or phone in a cradle (ie holder that is suction stuck to the window) is fine  :y

Picking up the phone even if you have headset is a no no

Small amount of button pressing is allowed

And to my way of thinking using a headset and chatting on the phone is no different to having a passenger sitting next to you and chatting to them.

I have to press buttons on my data unit when i get a job sent through.....never been stopped for that......tho i have wondered and hotel21 might be able to clarify......sometimes the base operator wants to speak to me.....and calls me on the SW radio.....to talk to them i have to hold a mike and obviously speak into it.....how does that fare with the new rules??  :-/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 March 2007, 19:12:59 »

And to my way of thinking using a headset and chatting on the phone is no different to having a passenger sitting next to you and chatting to them.
They make an interesting counterpoint to that.  Supposedly a passenger is aware of the situation as you are driving, so will go quiet if they think you need to pay attention at an intersection, etc.  It isn't completely safe, but it does make a distinction to talking on the phone.  I hadn't thought of that.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2007, 19:35:57 »

They make an interesting counterpoint to that.  Supposedly a passenger is aware of the situation as you are driving, so will go quiet if they think you need to pay attention at an intersection, etc.  It isn't completely safe, but it does make a distinction to talking on the phone.  I hadn't thought of that.

I could agree possibly if they are sitting in the front.....but most of my passengers sit in the back.....and have no idea whats going on in front and can ask or start a conversation and most inconvienent times....like pulling out of a junction etc !!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 March 2007, 19:39:37 »

I could agree possibly if they are sitting in the front.....but most of my passengers sit in the back.....and have no idea whats going on in front and can ask or start a conversation and most inconvienent times....like pulling out of a junction etc !!
Yeah, I doubt they had you guys in mind.  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2007, 19:41:54 »

Studies have shown that more concentration is required to hold a 'remote' conversation than a 'local' one....
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2007, 20:07:13 »

No time to answer this fully at the mo - Top Gear is on.  Will come back later and re-enter the fray.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2007, 20:09:32 »

No time to answer this fully at the mo - Top Gear is on.  Will come back later and re-enter the fray.....

Thanks for reminding me  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.