Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh happy days...  (Read 2963 times)

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
Oh happy days...
« on: 07 March 2007, 14:17:42 »

This morning, I had the GREAT pleasure of out-dragging a Honda Civic Type-R in my 3.0 Elite. Up to about 60ish, it was neck-and-neck, then I started to pull away.

It made my day to see the baseball cap wearing twonk disappear in my rear view mirror.

I feel the need to share my experience.

Paul.
Growing old disgracefully...

Martin_1962

Re: Oh happy days...
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2007, 14:24:34 »

Well Done :y ;D

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2007, 14:27:30 »

Lucky if I could out drag a tractor at the moment  :'(
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2007, 14:38:50 »

As the 0-60 for a manual 3.0l elite is 8sec and a type-R should do it in 6.4, the driver must have been a right idiot ;)
« Last Edit: 07 March 2007, 14:39:20 by STMO123 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2007, 15:13:04 »

As the 0-60 for a manual 3.0l elite is 8sec and a type-R should do it in 6.4, the driver must have been a right idiot

Was going to say, I don't think I could beat my brother's Type-R in my 3.2 with any amount of trying. Then again, most of the Type-R's power is in a final lunge for the red line which starts at about 6.5K RPM and ends at the rev limiter (8.5 + IIRC).

If the driver was chickening out at 6.5K like he would in 99% of petrol engined cars ::) then he's missing a huge chunk of the performance and liable to me embarrassed by all sorts of things.  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2007, 15:49:46 »

Civic Type R also has no torque, so if a passenger was in the car..... he was stuffed!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2007, 16:25:30 »

Civic Type R also has no torque, so if a passenger was in the car..... he was stuffed!

Doesn't really matter... power to weight ratio is what counts as long as you drive it properly. It's the thrust at the driven wheels that drives the car forwards, not the torque at the flywheel And yes, a properly driven Type-R will almost certainly beat even my manual 3.0 MV6 regardless of whether the Type-R has a passenger or not -- it's only about 15 BHP down but weighs a lot less. Loads less torque as mentioned but it will definitely be far lower geared, the Omega's gearing is too high even in manual form and the autos are far worse.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2007, 16:25:54 by Paul_M »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2007, 17:05:56 »

That's a symptom of getting 200 BHP out of a NA 4 pot. You can't have massive torque at low revs and expect it to continue to 8k but you need it to rev to 8K to get the power without bolting on another 2 cylinders! Although the VTEC setup does a good job of widening the power band it can't work miracles and the engine will have to be tuned to rev high at the expense of low-down torque. Even with a passenger or four, he's laughing WRT power to weight ratio compared to an Omega!

However, if the driver was keeping the engine in the power it doesn't matter. Drive to the wheels is irrespective of engine revs and torque and depends on power, assuming the driver is in the right gear. With a nice close-ratio 6 speed manual there's simply no excuse, other than mechanical sympathy ;-) .

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2007, 17:23:52 »

Omega wasn't built to beat hot hatches from the lights. Its absolutely brilliant at what it was built for. A smooth, comfortable cruiser :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2007, 17:36:48 »

Omega wasn't built to beat hot hatches from the lights. Its absolutely brilliant at what it was built for. A smooth, comfortable cruiser

True. You can't really call the Type R a smooth, comfortable cruiser!

Kevin

BTW: For beating hot hatches from the lights I recommend a Westfield

STMO123

« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2007, 17:41:42 »

My wifes MGZT 190 will beat my omega from the lights every time, but when we drive over to Liverpool and back, she insists on going in mine. She dozes away in the back seat on the way home. Believe me, she wouldn't do that in hers, she'd be bouncing off the roof every time we hit a matchstick ;D

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2007, 19:11:36 »

Lucky if I could out drag a tractor at the moment  :'(

Dump that chrome surrounded noisy air thingy...and go back to normal :y ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2007, 20:04:59 »

My wifes MGZT 190 will beat my omega from the lights every time, but when we drive over to Liverpool and back, she insists on going in mine. She dozes away in the back seat on the way home. Believe me, she wouldn't do that in hers, she'd be bouncing off the roof every time we hit a matchstick ;D

Wife in the back  :o Bouncing around  ::) Matchstick  :-/
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2007, 20:13:20 »

Doesn't really matter... power to weight ratio is what counts as long as you drive it properly. It's the thrust at the driven wheels that drives the car forwards, not the torque at the flywheel And yes, a properly driven Type-R will almost certainly beat even my manual 3.0 MV6 regardless of whether the Type-R has a passenger or not -- it's only about 15 BHP down but weighs a lot less. Loads less torque as mentioned but it will definitely be far lower geared, the Omega's gearing is too high even in manual form and the autos are far worse.

Hence it has to be driven properly as you mentioned, although extra weight in the Civic R does affect it a lot.... I have seen fully loaded ones (4 chavs on board) struggling to get going.

However speed to me is not everything (after all i own a 2.2  ::)) its how a car is on the daily drive. Which the Omega does far better than my old 2.0 Mondeo which was faster....

But all this is pointless, you seen the photos of the 2007 Type R? - Looks fantastic:

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2007, 20:21:01 »

But all this is pointless, you seen the photos of the 2007 Type R? - Looks fantastic:

Not sure I'm 100% converted to the new shape. I liked the old ones a lot. The back end looks a bit naff to me but I'm sure it'll grow on me and, by the time it's as old-fashioned as the Omega, I'll love it  ;)

That dashboard is something else though! All sorts of fun and games in store when it starts playing up I bet. :-/

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.