Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery TD5  (Read 3956 times)

Martin_1962

Discovery TD5
« on: 18 January 2014, 20:23:57 »

Dec 2003 Auto

Rather nice car.

I reckon it has been chipped as TC comes on in first. 10 sec 0-60

Bit noisy, plenty of character, loads of toys but no cruise.

Cost me a lot but I find so many cars boring and characterless.

I tried a BMW, thought quite nice, but jumped into a smashed up Omega and thought "This is much nicer"

I went round car dealer after car dealer. saying no , no, no, the dealers were understanding.

Went to VX asked if they had any decent cars, they did admit that the best VX in recent years was what I was interested in. They tried to sell me a sodding Meriva, I almost hit the salesman, I sat in a another one he thought I would be impressed by - plastic rubbish and no auto box.

I feel like writing to VX telling them why they lost me.

BTW there is a big dealer near me which sells a few makes of cars and has a lot of SH but they had a Martin repellant on the entrance and I could not enter, a blue sign with a 4 letter F word on it.

MR MISTER

Re: Discovery TD5
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2014, 20:25:46 »

Ah...FIAT, enough to put anyone off.  ;D

A disco TD5....... Don't think they tried for a 0-60 really.

hoody

• Intermediate Member
  • Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2014, 21:01:48 »

Ford owned landrover in 2003,just as well its fiats you dont like ;D

MR MISTER

« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2014, 21:04:26 »

Ford owned landrover in 2003,just as well its fiats you dont like ;D
Could have been ford  ;D

Or even f*** off Martin Imber  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2014, 17:20:49 »

Dec 2003 Auto

Rather nice car.

I tried a BMW, thought quite nice, but jumped into a smashed up Omega and thought "This is much nicer"

I went round car dealer after car dealer. saying no , no, no, the dealers were understanding.

Went to VX asked if they had any decent cars, they did admit that the best VX in recent years was what I was interested in. They tried to sell me a sodding Meriva, I almost hit the salesman, I sat in a another one he thought I would be impressed by - plastic rubbish and no auto box.

BTW there is a big dealer near me which sells a few makes of cars and has a lot of SH but they had a Martin repellant on the entrance and I could not enter, a blue sign with a 4 letter F word on it.

Very nice martin,I run a Disco 2 as well although mine is a v8 manual,at your earliest opportunity when it's dry get the chassis,especially the rear end waxoyled or similar,the rear half chassis is the most fragile part of theses things and very expensive to fix if it fails,the rest of the vehicle is fixable with a good toolkit.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2014, 17:48:54 »

Dec 2003 Auto

Rather nice car.

Very nice martin,I run a Disco 2 as well although mine is a v8 manual,at your earliest opportunity when it's dry get the chassis,especially the rear end waxoyled or similar,the rear half chassis is the most fragile part of theses things and very expensive to fix if it fails,the rest of the vehicle is fixable with a good toolkit.

I was just going to post that as well....waxoil is a must :y

'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2014, 17:50:17 »

if they are chipped they are no slouch :y

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2014, 18:56:07 »

if they are chipped they are no slouch :y

True, I tried a chipped auto with heavy duty t/c and that really pulled well,still prefer me manwell V8 though(consumption aside :-X)
other rides 

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2014, 21:23:31 »

My td5 disco has been chipped and the egr bypassed. Give it a boot full from standstill and it spins 2 if not 3 or more wheels. Leaves a mahoosive smoke screen behind it though until it evens itself out.

Watch out for the rust as others have said but also leaking fuel pressure regulators which drip onto the starter and cause solenoid failure. Steering box seals also leak as does the ACE system. I removed mine and retrofitted standard anti roll bars. No appreciable difference in handling once you get used to it.  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2014, 21:28:56 »

Does it have sunroofs?  If so, remove the cassettes front and rear and reseal. If it doesn't leak now it will sometime....   ;)

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2014, 21:30:55 »

My td5 disco has been chipped and the egr bypassed. Give it a boot full from standstill and it spins 2 if not 3 or more wheels. Leaves a mahoosive smoke screen behind it though until it evens itself out.

Watch out for the rust as others have said but also leaking fuel pressure regulators which drip onto the starter and cause solenoid failure. Steering box seals also leak as does the ACE system. I removed mine and retrofitted standard anti roll bars. No appreciable difference in handling once you get used to it.  :y

This one does trigger TC when pulling away and is very quick up to 30 then starts to slow ACE system works very well (have driven D1) wife likes it all 3 children now like it.

I think I will get rid of EGR when it is warmer depending on what I do for a project first (going to try to pursued a work mate to share a Omega project. Just can't give them up yet).

Will get some pictures up sometime, no longer on Autotrader

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2014, 21:31:32 »

Does it have sunroofs?  If so, remove the cassettes front and rear and reseal. If it doesn't leak now it will sometime....   ;)

Thanks will look at!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2014, 21:36:46 »

..... and, coincidentally, the rocker gasket leaks at the half moon on the rear. Either accept as the patented landrover underbody anti rust system or replace. Remember sealant round the half moon.

10 NM torque on the bolts as well, about £18 for a genuine LR gasket.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2014, 23:16:28 »

Yep,been there done that ::)
other rides 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2014, 00:26:55 »

Don't have that problem with the Jeep, it doesn't have a sunroof..... ;D ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2014, 18:41:14 »

it is poor maintenance vamps if the seals are kept clean and drain holes are clear they won't leak.. the problem is once they start to leak replacement is the only cure and they are PITA to do:y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2014, 19:53:24 »

it is poor maintenance vamps if the seals are kept clean and drain holes are clear they won't leak.. the problem is once they start to leak replacement is the only cure and they are PITA to do:y

You talking sunroof?  Its not the glass to sunroof rubber seal that leaks most of the time.   Problems include (but not limited to) drains and the plastic 'squares' where drains attach to lower cassette assembly but mainly leak where upper and lower cassette portions sandwich the metal roof skin.  The 'seal' is ineffectual at best (thin foam sponge type stuff) that deteriorates over time and allows water to pass and create leaks through winder handle/leccy motor control assembly.

Best repair is removal of upper and lower portions and clean off old guff then reseal with RTV silicone top and bottom.  :y
« Last Edit: 20 January 2014, 19:59:43 by hotel21 »

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2014, 22:10:04 »

correct I am talking sunroof. The seal is only ineffectual due to the not being looked after and it as nothing to do with the lump of glass at all...poor maintenance not cleaning the drainage channels and keeping the drain clear

but as for sealing sunroof that is not a repair at all it is a cop out and a quick fix which doesn't solve the problem all it does do it means you have a sunroof you cannot use

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2014, 22:12:23 »

I still come out in a cold sweat when I see a Land Rover badge, scarred for life! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2014, 22:49:40 »

I still come out in a cold sweat when I see a Land Rover badge, scarred for life! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :y

I have had and loved a few series Land Rovers, not exactly luxury but functional, do you know that you can get 22 Cub Scouts into the back of a LWB model...... :y :y In the old days.... :-X

Martin_1962

« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2014, 23:35:28 »

I have had and loved a few series Land Rovers, not exactly luxury but functional, do you know that you can get 22 Cub Scouts into the back of a LWB model...... :y :y In the old days.... :-X

Should be able to squish mad BMWs with one though and hopefully repel low flying Peugeots, will be interesting to see how much compensation I get

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2014, 08:16:48 »

correct I am talking sunroof. The seal is only ineffectual due to the not being looked after and it as nothing to do with the lump of glass at all...poor maintenance not cleaning the drainage channels and keeping the drain clear

but as for sealing sunroof that is not a repair at all it is a cop out and a quick fix which doesn't solve the problem all it does do it means you have a sunroof you cannot use

H21 is not saying seal up the roofs themselves,they mainly leak where the cassette joins to the roof panel,that is what needs sealing up(on the D2 anyway)
other rides 

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2014, 08:29:10 »

I have to look after and maintain

1 off Series 3 short wheel base pickup - 2.25 petrol
1 off series 4 long wheel base with bench seats in rear - 2.25 petrol
1 off 110 long wheel base with cherry picker mounted on rear, 2.5D
1 off 110 long wheel base with road rail fittings - 300TDi
1 off 110 long wheel base - 2.5TD (19J engine)

There is also a series 1 petrol short wheel base with a rotted head (but dry stored for the last 20 plus years, which I am not going bloody near!

And I bloody hate working on them, there is always 'something' needs doing on the dam things.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2014, 08:49:42 »

Just like an Omega then... ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2014, 08:53:50 »

Just like an Omega then... ;D

No, they require SO MUCH more fiddling with!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2014, 09:55:16 »

H21 is not saying seal up the roofs themselves,they mainly leak where the cassette joins to the roof panel,that is what needs sealing up(on the D2 anyway)

Correct. The sunroof has 4 major components viz outer plastic part that's stuck to outside of roof, inside plastic part that has the drain tubes, operating mechanism etc coming from as well as the rubber seal that the moving glass panel seals against. The seal I refer to is the one fitted between the outer plastic housing and the outer metal roof skin and the inner plastic panel (with drains etc) that seals against the inner roof skin. Removal and reseating requires removal of interior side panels and roof liner before both sunroofs can be split and removed and resealed.

Once done, 99% of leaks are sorted and glass panel remains fully functional. 

It's not poor maintenance it's poor design and manufacturing.  :y

bigboykarl

• barnsley/london.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 January 2014, 10:42:01 »

what sort of mpg does a td5 achieve...at the min i have a e320cdi which averages 30mpg around town and 40 ish at 85 on the motorway

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2014, 12:57:18 »

This sums things up nicely

http://www.repairmylandrover.co.uk/featured-items/alternative-land-rover-owners-manual

One of my favourites:

A note about Landrover horns. It may not be possible to hear the horn sounding whilst driving your vehicle as we fitted the quietist one we could find, that is because Landrover Plc do not wish to contribute to sound pollution. This horn works by giving a small, none damaging, electric shock to an ant that lives in metal box on the front grill, this causes the said critter to fart through a small trumpet, we think. Sh*t if you can’t hear a Landrover heading towards in the first place you are as deaf as a post so sounding the horn is a useless exercise anyway… The sound deadening we omitted to fit to your vehicle also helps prevent you hearing the horn above the cacophony of mechanical noise that emanate from your vehicle during normal use
« Last Edit: 24 January 2014, 13:13:44 by Marks DTM Calib »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 January 2014, 16:33:02 »

what sort of mpg does a td5 achieve...at the min i have a e320cdi which averages 30mpg around town and 40 ish at 85 on the motorway

Thats a distant dream for any Discovery 2 :-\
other rides 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 January 2014, 16:35:13 »

http://www.repairmylandrover.co.uk/featured-items/alternative-land-rover-owners-manual

One of my favourites:

A note about Landrover horns. It may not be possible to hear the horn sounding whilst driving your vehicle as we fitted the quietist one we could find, that is because Landrover Plc do not wish to contribute to sound pollution. This horn works by giving a small, none damaging, electric shock to an ant that lives in metal box on the front grill, this causes the said critter to fart through a small trumpet, we think. Sh*t if you can’t hear a Landrover heading towards in the first place you are as deaf as a post so sounding the horn is a useless exercise anyway… The sound deadening we omitted to fit to your vehicle also helps prevent you hearing the horn above the cacophony of mechanical noise that emanate from your vehicle during normal use

Lol ;D ;D
other rides 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 January 2014, 17:21:20 »

One of my favourites:

PMSL.

Still, still beats a Yamaha horn. It was so bad, I replaced it, only to discover the new one was even quieter ;D
Grumpy old man

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 January 2014, 01:40:13 »

Wife is on her second TD5 and this one is one of the first 99T reg, it now has over 205K on it. 10P engine code
EGR removed
De-cat
Removed centre box (not chipped yet) and pulls like a train 30mpg all day long. Poly bushed all over. :y

I have two spare engines in the garage, a 10P in bits almost at point of rebuild and a 15P with normal head issue (no4 injector hole leaking fuel past it which is a £150 to have welded and re-cut) to start work on this summer.

Martin_1962

« Reply #32 on: 26 January 2014, 10:16:43 »

Wife is on her second TD5 and this one is one of the first 99T reg, it now has over 205K on it. 10P engine code
EGR removed
De-cat
Removed centre box (not chipped yet) and pulls like a train 30mpg all day long. Poly bushed all over. :y

I have two spare engines in the garage, a 10P in bits almost at point of rebuild and a 15P with normal head issue (no4 injector hole leaking fuel past it which is a £150 to have welded and re-cut) to start work on this summer.

75000 on a ten year old one.

The switch placement is very random.

Lights are only halogen, not so nice after Xenons

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 January 2014, 13:40:33 »

Lights are only halogen, not so nice after Xenons
Check the connections to the chassis are good, they sometimes get a bit of corrosion, increasing resistance.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.