Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New job, means new(ish) car, looking for left-field choices?  (Read 6220 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

So, I'm starting a new job in 2016 which will unfortunately mean that the omega will be retired from executive chauffeuring duties. I am planning to stave off the change for a few months but ultimately something new has to come along. My budget is pretty healthy as I'll be borrowing to fund it and would like to treat myself - I've never run a car that's less than about 10 years old before.

My Criteria:
1. Must be big (5-series ish big) - I'll be doing about 20k per year and I'm a fat barsteward big chap (6'1" and 20 stone).
2. Must be comfortable - see above
3. Must be 4-5 years old or less - I'm planning on doing the job 3yrs ish and the car scheme stipulates that a car must be less than 8yrs old, I'd consider a private plate to mask the age to push it for a while if I had to.
4. Must be a 4 seater - kids (2) are in the plan and SWMBO isn't going to give the green light to a sporty 2 seater number.

Where things get interesting is that the company operates HMRC's Advisory Fuel Rate Policy, meaning that the amount I get paid per mile varies according to the fuel I use and the cc of the car.

CC        Petrol (p/mile)        Diesel (p/mile)   
    <1400        11        9   
    14-2000        14        11   
    >2000        21        13   

So, diesels actually fair really badly under this scheme, for example, a 520d auto doing 46mpg actually costs me 1.5p a mile in fuel, whereas a 535i doing 31 mpg on the same route pays 5.5p per mile. This example would translate to nearly £1,500 per year difference running the big Gas guzzler.

The point of all of this is I would like some left-field suggestions on cars I might not have considered as all my thinking up to today has been geared around looking at diesels.

So far I am struggling to think of anything much better than this.

05omegav6

Re: New job, means new(ish) car, looking for left-field choices?
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2015, 16:07:44 »

Go 7 series/S class if you want to do the job properly...

S350 would be my preference for running costs/passenger comfort... if you need load space then an E class estate but you'll struggle to find a petrol one :-\

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2015, 16:09:49 »

Cue dozens of pointless answers. You know what you want/need/like.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2015, 16:19:04 »

Very true, however, that doesn't mean I've thought of everything that's out there - a CLS for instance is worth a look and one I hadn't thought of.

Harris S or a 7 series is interesting, sadly I've been in too many German taxis to consider an E-class, just brings to mind cheesy 80's rock and staring at the back of a blonde mullet ;).

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2015, 16:20:16 »

Very true, however, that doesn't mean I've thought of everything that's out there - a CLS for instance is worth a look and one I hadn't thought of.

Harris S or a 7 series is interesting, sadly I've been in too many German taxis to consider an E-class, just brings to mind cheesy 80's rock and staring at the back of a blonde mullet ;).

I prefer the older shape to the latest ones, but the later ones come with 250 CDI.

They are very frugal and still have quite a rapid pace  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2015, 16:23:40 »

:o

Get a Micra. If they moan about you turning up at clients in that, tell them "well, about your fuel rate policy....".
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2015, 17:44:23 »

Thinking so left field that you could become a labour leader...

A fully optioned Tesla P85S Model S is just over a grand a month to buy with sod all deposit*, full running costs are £1695 pm including really expensive electricity, insurance, servicing (such as it is), tyres and of course the car. About £100 a month more than running an E220 Cdi Estate.
Assumes 60k per year.

Highlights include 100% offset in the first year, free charging for life at all Tesla Supercharger stations, 8 year unlimited mile warranty (car and battery) and not to mention the phenomenal value retention.

* Requires a £2,000 deposit to order it.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2015, 17:45:46 »

60K is a big assumption.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2015, 17:55:00 »

True enough Steve, but lower mileage then means lower running costs... Purchase and insurance costs won't reduce though as the car is being used commercially and vehicle cost is fixed.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2015, 17:57:33 »

Just wondering how you'd charge (sorry) your employer for electrickery.  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2015, 18:14:37 »

LPG!  :y   Get something that's already converted or buy something and get it converted, then claim the petrol allowance!  ;)  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2015, 18:20:17 »

Just wondering how you'd charge (sorry) your employer for electrickery.  :-\

Surely a foreword thinking organisation like HMRC will have pence-per-mile tables for electric cars.. No?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2015, 18:21:26 »

Harris, you and I must be on very similar wavelength as I've devoted a considerable amount of time to man-maths'ing a Model S. However there are a few issues which I just can't overcome.

-Per the tesla site, the P85d is £1039pcm over 4yrs but requires £19,074 down payment  8) (bottom of the grey "finance" box - where did you see the no deposit bit?

-a number of my trips are outside of the Tesla's range (Carlisle for example) so supercharging, although free could become a pain.

-STEMO tougher on this, no way to charge mileage to my employer - HMRC doesn't recognise electricity as a "fuel" in the context of AFR, although if I could convince the company t charge the car for me (highly unlikely) there would be no BIK charge for this.

I had contemplated waiting until 2017 for the model 3 though! Buying a crapper in the meantime.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2015, 18:30:40 »

Octavia vRS, petrol, newish?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.