Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any other Omega/Catera Modifers online?  (Read 5268 times)

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
Are there any other Omega/Catera Modifers online?
« on: 28 December 2009, 15:02:26 »

I have noticed that most of the peeps here seem to keep their cars clean and standard, which is fine, but I was wondering if anyones has modified theirs or is in the process of modifying?

If so what have you done and provide pics too please.....

Mine was a auto 2.5 CD as standard and the previous owner changed it to a 3.0 manual, I fitted a leather interior, bit of sound system with JL Audio front door speakers, Infiniti 12" sub in the boot running of a Mutant amp.  The whole lot is being run by a JVC CD Head unit which is mated to a 12 disc changer in a custom mount in the boot.

I have a set of pre face MV6 rims in the garage waiting for tyres and the car is running on Monroe shocks and MV6 springs.

I have modified the airbox a little and after the new year I hope to get a powerflow cat back zorst.  I am also hoping to get an LSD for her.
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any other Omega/Catera Modifers online?
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2009, 15:17:36 »

.....  I am also hoping to get an LSD for her.

Happy hunting ........ Rocking horse poo & hen's teeth spring to mind!  :y  :y

alunonhisown

« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2009, 15:22:28 »

What is an LSD? In my day that was an illegal substance!!!! Probably still is!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2009, 15:26:26 »

What is an LSD? In my day that was an illegal substance!!!! Probably still is!!!

Limited Slip Differential  :y :y :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2009, 18:04:53 »

In Australia there is a big, no, sorry, a BIIIG culture for improving one's Holden Commodores / Frod Taunuses. The Commodore being something of a cousin of the Omega you may find some new and interesting mods for your vehicle on sites dedicated to the former...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2009, 19:36:46 »

In Australia there is a big, no, sorry, a BIIIG culture for improving one's Holden Commodores / Frod Taunuses. The Commodore being something of a cousin of the Omega you may find some new and interesting mods for your vehicle on sites dedicated to the former...

Do they run the same drivetrain then??
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2009, 19:49:24 »

Its a re-badged Omega, very similar in design, but its going to be no good for you as the Commadore is wider than the Omega, so no body kits will fit.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2009, 01:49:27 »

Yes. Though i suppose it depends on what your definition of 'fit' is, I see all sorts of bodykits (sometimes) skillfully grafted onto cars, for which they were never intended.

I would imagine that there would be a world of Holden suspension/brake upgrades which would be a pretty straightforward job to fit, though. Good luck!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2009, 16:19:25 »

It,s mainly mechanical parts that I am after, such as, brakes, suspension, exhaust manifolds(or headers as they call them) and systems but with the different wdith, I am assuming that the floor plan is different?  Also I am unable to find a 3.0l listing in the Commodore range...?
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2009, 19:43:11 »

Its a re-badged Omega, very similar in design, but its going to be no good for you as the Commadore is wider than the Omega, so no body kits will fit.

Oh no it's not...........
 ;)
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2009, 20:38:16 »

Oh no it's not...........
 ;)

;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2009, 20:40:11 »

It,s mainly mechanical parts that I am after, such as, brakes, suspension, exhaust manifolds(or headers as they call them) and systems but with the different wdith, I am assuming that the floor plan is different?  Also I am unable to find a 3.0l listing in the Commodore range...?

Never heard of the different width thing, before, to be honest. You should be very well catered for, as I said, with the oily bits, though. The PCD is different, that aside I've heard of Holden suspension fitted to Omegas.

There's a lot of disagreement about this, so here's my attempt at straightening it all out (Deep breath...) For anyone that doesn't already know cars are VERY expensive things to develop, (200million just to FACELIFT the Omega in '99) and so a car often shares what's called a 'platform'. This often includes floorpan, scuttle and suspension, drivetrain too. Over-simplification often re-terms this as a 'chassis', or 'floorplan'. This is, as with a lot of things sort-of right, sort-of wrong. But a good example is the Astra and Zafira. They look pretty different cars, but do share the same platform. To say they are 'the same car with a different body' Yes, it is TECHNICALLY incorrect to say this, there are no doubt loads of boltholes, pressings, flanges, blah blah blah that will be different, but one heavily borrows from another. Yes, there are differences, but they're BASICALLY the same. It happens SO much more than you'd think - Didn't know that under the skin the first Discovery is basically an old Range Rover, did you? Aston DB7 / Jag XJ-S, Morris Minor / Marina, Mazda 3 / Focus, Jag X-Type / Mondeo the list is endless!

The Holden Commodore VT / VX / VY / VZ share the same platform as the Omega. So when people say 'No, no its not the same car, look at the front end, look at the interior, etc..' they're half right, half wrong. Just as those that say 'They're the same car, different badge' again, half right, half wrong.

It is therefore totally feasible to take the front end from a Monaro, and bolt it to the mid-section of a Opel Omega, to the rear of a Cadillac Catera. Three cars, three continents, but all share the V-Car platform, that goes right back to 1978. There's a guy on oof that's just put an old 1980s 2.3TD Carlton lump (with a Monza 'box) in a Facelift Omega, it drops pretty much straight in!

Wikepedia does a decent job of explaining the Omega platform thing -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore#VS_.281995.E2.80.931997.29

Hope that helps!  :)

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2009, 20:46:57 »

Good answer, you are indeed a "diamond Geezer"

see what i did there?  eh? eh?? LOL

Of hunting I will go, just one omore question, any hints as to where I should start looking?
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2009, 21:14:24 »

Ohh, now Im blushing!

Well, from memory Holden's motorsport tuner is called HSV (and was related to TWR, too) so that's a good one for google. I suppose it's a case of getting as clued up as best you can on Holdens, so you dont go ordering several grand's worth of tuning mods, only to find they dont fit! And remember the VE is the latest, and ISN'T related to the Omega!!

There must be a bunch of car-mad single men in an Australian forum, that will be able to advise you? And, of course check ebay.com.au that must be worth a shot?

When I get chance I'll scan in some of an Holden Monaro brochure I've got tucked away safe somewhere, for your viewing pleasure....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.