Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall Viva returning.  (Read 3276 times)

2boxerdogs

Vauxhall Viva returning.
« on: 08 December 2014, 11:54:14 »

Saw in the Sunday Mirror that the Viva is coming back soon 1.0 city car picture looked very similar to Corsa. Was thinking of leasing a car for the wife in place of her 2.2 estate, was considering the VW UP, but would rather stay with VX so one these could be next.We have had a VW Polo in the past good car but our local dealership is not too good , whereas our VX is excellent, should be about similar cost about £90.00 per month on a 48 month contract.

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall Viva returning.
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2014, 12:12:32 »

the viva returning...wow blast from the past...one of the easiest cars i ever worked on...cant see that been the case now tho lol

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2014, 12:25:10 »

the viva returning...wow blast from the past...one of the easiest cars i ever worked on...cant see that been the case now tho lol

No, and it won't have a carburetor, a dynamo, distributor, or wind up windows, but it will have a radio and no rust after three years!! ;D ;D ;D ;) 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2014, 12:28:00 »

Is it a biological sign of getting old when you stop liking how new cars out look?

Sorry, but this looks badly proportioned and actually dated... doesn't look any more modern than the Agila - and that's just about to be axed  :-[

Actually, from a marketing viewpoint, I'm surprised. The Adam was introduced as a way of cashing in on the likes of Mini, 500, DS3 with their customised bling; all using names from the past to give that retro appeal. So Vauxhall decide to introduce the Adam, named after Opel's founder... a missed opportunity to call the Vauxhall version Alex... but never mind. But - why not have called the Adam the Viva? Adam or Steve or Egbert would have suited this new thing better.

Personally love a light, simple, functional, cheap car. No frills, straighforward. But that being the case such as the Up! does is so much better. Simple, no-fuss. Why does this look like they've tried to force too much style on a little platform?

As I say, want to know if it's a sign of getting old? I remember people 10, 20 years older looking at cars when I was a kid, that I thought stunning, beautifully resolved designs, but them suggesting a 'proper car' from their youth that looked so much better than this etc...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2014, 12:36:02 »

Viva. Huh, I went around Europe in 1980 in a Viva HC 1160cc. Great experience but gutless car that had an intermittent misfire(throttle spindle warn) the minute we landed on foreign soil. Oh and the radiator sprang a leak on day two. Fixed that with the egg trick which I didn't believe would work. It did for 3000 miles. Only redeeming feature was the brakes but they caught fire in the Alps.

Nothing wrong with recycling names . Lets have a Viscount rear wheel drive with a V8.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2014, 12:48:53 »

Viva. Huh, I went around Europe in 1980 in a Viva HC 1160cc. Great experience but gutless car that had an intermittent misfire(throttle spindle warn) the minute we landed on foreign soil. Oh and the radiator sprang a leak on day two. Fixed that with the egg trick which I didn't believe would work. It did for 3000 miles. Only redeeming feature was the brakes but they caught fire in the Alps.

Nothing wrong with recycling names . Lets have a Viscount rear wheel drive with a V8.
I'd accept a rebadged Holden/Chevrolet on that basis... they did an estate too iirc :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2014, 13:13:50 »

The viva will just take sales away from the adam and the corsa. I thought GM would have learned this lesson when they replicated the zafira, mocca and antara with orlando, trax and captiva.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2014, 13:21:45 »

Its BMC / BL all over again - competing cars from the same company - so the 'idea' is to make each department make theirs a bit worse, so as not to take sales from the other one... only downside is, other car marques are not so hampered, you only encourage people to not buy any of your products, in favour of the competition.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2014, 13:27:29 »

Why attach memories of an utterly awfull car to a brand new one?

....it actually looks quite good imo. I wonder if they do a size 12?

The Sheriff

« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2014, 13:29:00 »

Why attach memories of an utterly awfull car to a brand new one?

....it actually looks quite good imo. I wonder if they do a size 12?
So nostalgic old gits will post on car forums about it.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2014, 13:37:55 »

I am at the stage now that I don't care what they call it, just need to get something smaller for pottering around town in. The 2.2 auto is fine on a run 33mpg but in town around 19 so we feel we ought to have something sensible, got the 4x4 for the caravan towing & my 2.6 hopefully will go on forever !! Never used on short runs & always 30 mpg & is in superb nick.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2014, 14:17:14 »

Well... the original Viva was so awful that when they introduced the Chevette to replace it, which was the same recipe, but with more modern styling, and a hatchback to boot (no pun intended) they couldn't get rid of the Viva, too many people were buying them. (and a British car company making lots of cars was a rarity in the mid-70s) it ended up selling in droves for another 4 years  :y The Bedford Vivavan - based on the 1963 HA lasted until 1983  :)

I like Vivas, and they shall be defended on this forum  :y First car I worked on, aged 3  :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2014, 14:22:04 »

No, and it won't have a carburetor, a dynamo, distributor, or wind up windows, but it will have a radio and no rust after three years!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

I remember a boy from school beaming with pride because his dad had just bought a brand new  1967 Viva SL90.

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2014, 14:53:45 »

Yep , dad had a viva .. i can still remember that horrid plastic smell that made you feel sick on a day trip to skegg  ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2014, 14:55:16 »

Sorry to hear your dad smelt like plastic...  :o

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.