Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel prices down?  (Read 6935 times)

STEMO

Re: Fuel prices down?
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2020, 11:41:24 »

I'm gonna get shot here, but I also think that 1-2p on income tax would not affect people that much, but would certainly make a difference to the money available for NHS, etc.

You think the NHS is short of money ?
Higher taxation almost always causes more problems than it solves. Every Labour Govt. in history should have learned this lesson, but they never have, which is why most people in work vote Tory.
It doesn't matter what I think. The manifesto promised no rises in NI, Income tax or VAT, so they will have to find more creative ways of squeezing our pips.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2020, 11:46:06 »

I'm gonna get shot here, but I also think that 1-2p on income tax would not affect people that much, but would certainly make a difference to the money available for NHS, etc.

Higher taxation almost always causes more problems than it solves. Every Labour Govt. in history should have learned this lesson, but they never have, which is why most people in work vote Tory.

I think it depends on exactly how much you increase taxation. When it comes to personal tax, we still have some of the lowest rates in Europe, particularly for middle to high earners. That said, if you get towards some of the nonsense Labour tried in the 1970's, its easy to see why people don't play ball.

It doesn't matter what I think. The manifesto promised no rises in NI, Income tax or VAT, so they will have to find more creative ways of squeezing our pips.

Yes, because manifestos are typically set in stone.... :y

TBH, until Labour cotton on to the idea that they first and foremost need a leader who is actually electable, the tories are free to do more or less as they choose.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2020, 12:03:01 »

I think Boris will stick to those pledges.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2020, 12:13:52 »

Never bother even checking prices , just fill them up when necessary I've got pals at work who drive out of their normal route just to save a few pence seems daft to me.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2020, 13:06:50 »

Asda diesel £118.7 this morning.

When I can get it I pay about £1.24 for 99 octane rocket fuel for the Tata......... :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2020, 13:10:43 »

Momentum I believe they call it.

Nothing to do with comrade Corbyn. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2020, 14:13:57 »

I think it depends on exactly how much you increase taxation. When it comes to personal tax, we still have some of the lowest rates in Europe, particularly for middle to high earners. That said, if you get towards some of the nonsense Labour tried in the 1970's, its easy to see why people don't play ball.

Yes, because manifestos are typically set in stone.... :y

TBH, until Labour cotton on to the idea that they first and foremost need a leader who is actually electable, the tories are free to do more or less as they choose.

We are more highly taxed than we have been since the Labour nonsense in the 70,s. Much of the rest of Europe is addicted to ever increasing taxes, which is why their economies are in terminal decline.
As for the NHS. Gormless McRuin more than doubled its budget and made it worse in the process. Its problem isn't money. Its problem is that it doesn't work and cant work in the 21st century. Someone needs to scrap the whole thing and start over again with a clean sheet of paper.
An NHS consultant pretty much told me this less than a fortnight ago. He now tells his patients to completely ignore the wholeNHS appointment system and its associated bureaucracy, and deal with him via personal email as that is the only way he can even attempt to give his patients the treatment they need.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2020, 14:16:21 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 February 2020, 14:38:27 »

As for the NHS. Gormless McRuin more than doubled its budget and made it worse in the process. Its problem isn't money. Its problem is that it doesn't work and cant work in the 21st century. Someone needs to scrap the whole thing and start over again with a clean sheet of paper.

This I agree with, in part. Its biggest issues are a) advancements in medical science, which are expensive and people believe should be provided free at the point of use, most of which link to quality of life, which was not in the remit of the original NHS. b) a rapidly ageing population. Only about half of employed people pay any income tax at all (and about 1/3 is paid by the top 1% of earners). While it has been funded comparatively well of late, what hasn't been is social care, particularly for adults, which pushes a significant burden onto the NHS for activities which, by rights should never have been with its remit.

NHS inefficiency is probably the most well loved UK cliche but if you compare it to other systems, it is reasonably efficient, but doesn't produce as strong health outcomes as some other systems.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 26 February 2020, 14:40:02 »

I called the GP this morning to try and get an appointment .. according to the receptionist I don't need one.

Good to know that the reception staff are highly trained medical personnel these days  :y :D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2020, 14:52:54 »

:D

Our local one has a system where you ring up, speak to a GP and they do an initial assessment over the phone.

I like this method as it weeds out those with the sniffles and the old people who just want somewhere out of the rain where they can go and talk at someone until Weatherspoons opens.

Funnily enough, when I phoned to say I'd just got off a plane from China, felt like cr@p and had a rash, they had an appointment for me that morning  ;D.*

* I should add this was 2017, before anyone labels me as a Covid 19 carrier.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 February 2020, 15:35:39 »

I called the GP this morning to try and get an appointment .. according to the receptionist I don't need one.

Good to know that the reception staff are highly trained medical personnel these days  :y :D

What really annoys me is when the receptionist (usually in front of a line of waiting people) asks " What do you want to see the doctor for?"

I always tell the middle aged menopausal bitch that I will discuss such things with the doctor and not her. The NHS seems to delight in employing receptionists who lack discretion. Gobby slappers who probably can't keep their gob shut after a couple of gins.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2020, 15:38:38 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 February 2020, 15:38:06 »

My GP has a similar system where you first speak to a receptionist explaining your problem/symptoms and then have a "phone consultation" with the doctor and a course of action is then decided from there.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2020, 15:40:46 »

My GP has a similar system where you first speak to a receptionist explaining your problem/symptoms and then have a "phone consultation" with the doctor and a course of action is then decided from there.

The job of any receptionist is to arrange an appointment to see the doctor. ........and nothing more. :)

They have no medical training. They are not doctors , just like to believe they are. :-\

:)

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2020, 16:28:39 »

I just tell the receptionist something like I have a huge growth on my arsehole, that stops them dead. Then I tell the doctor what's really going on. There is no communication between receptionist and doctor, so they're non the wiser.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2020, 16:29:41 »

I just tell the receptionist something like I have a huge growth on my arsehole, that stops them dead. Then I tell the doctor what's really going on. There is no communication between receptionist and doctor, so they're non the wiser.

But.. how are you getting on with that huge growth?  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.