Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autonomous cars  (Read 5128 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Autonomous cars
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2020, 21:48:55 »

As a taxpayer, and believer in small state and self reliance, I would still rather see subsidised taxis

Surely small state self reliance and subsidized private hire cars don't sit together? AFAIK the only places that offer such things are the lefty liberal Scandinavian countries.

Getting tour hand in your own pocket for your own privately owned self driving car is far more self reliant.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2020, 22:45:09 »

When I say signal I mean over the ether via this 5g.  Something along the lines of “ I see you are waiting to come out. OK I will decrease speed to allow a big enough event window, GO” at thesame time it would advise following vehicles so they didnt all panic brake .  It would work pretty well if there were no bugs in the software!

The Highway code would need  rewriting anyway to suit the bulk of vehicles being autonomous.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2020, 10:17:45 »

Surely small state self reliance and subsidized private hire cars don't sit together? AFAIK the only places that offer such things are the lefty liberal Scandinavian countries.

Getting tour hand in your own pocket for your own privately owned self driving car is far more self reliant.

owning the car is the cheap, affordable part of 'private' transport. If it was done properly, without the massive state subsidies we currently rely on, you would be charged at cost for every metre you travel. Then we would all be insisting on improvements to local public transport; cheaper taxis and smaller buses on more flexible routes are the most efficient and cost-effective way of doing this.

The current obsession with 'better' transport hides the real problem: travel became so ubiquitous because it was briefly cheap, easy and convenient for almost everybody. Those times are over, we're just too stubborn to admit it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2020, 12:26:20 »

The question I would ask is how does an autonomous car deal with those situations that are difficult?
I assume you are referring to "difficult" as a moral dilemma?  As for current mainstream processors in computers, there is no such thing as "difficult".

The same moral dilemmas that a driver has to deal with in an emergency, knowing they are in a no win situation, has to be dealt with at the design stage.  And there lay problem number 1, not every conceivable scenario could ever be predicted, and the current mobile-ish processing power available wouldn't be able to process it - problem number 2.

Problem number 3 is that no code of even minimal complexity is bug free.

Problem no 4 is that, as cars become connected, even if security is designed in (and traditionally it hasn't been in automotive), Problem No 3 exists, and will be exploited by those wishing to raise the profile of their own beliefs or simply to make large amounts of money.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2020, 12:27:41 »

travel became so ubiquitous because it was briefly cheap, easy and convenient for almost everybody. Those times are over, we're just too stubborn to admit it.
Only the world changed at the same time, making travel necessary.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2020, 13:37:45 »

Remember the predictions of 'the future' from days gone by, where everyone lives in identical high rise flats, where everyone wears identical silver boiler suit type garb and gets carted around in autonomous vehicles, some on the ground, some in the air?  ???

Well I think that that Orwellian type future is closer than we think and they will use the 'climate emergency' to achieve it.  ;)

The wealthy elites will carry on of course, business as usual.  ::)

Which reminds me, I must go out and buy that full fat Range Rover while I still can!  :)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2020, 14:39:52 »

Remember the predictions of 'the future' from days gone by, where everyone lives in identical high rise flats, where everyone wears identical silver boiler suit type garb and gets carted around in autonomous vehicles, some on the ground, some in the air?  ???

Well I think that that Orwellian type future is closer than we think and they will use the 'climate emergency' to achieve it.  ;)

Which reminds me, I must go out and buy that full fat Range Rover while I still can!  :)  ;D
Do it, believe me you won't regret it..😀
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2020, 15:19:48 »

Which reminds me, I must go out and buy that full fat Range Rover while I still can:)  ;D

What is the definition of a 'full fat ' Range Rover.

5.0 Supercharged petrol V8 or stump pulling V8 derv?

Perhaps it is either, or both.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2020, 15:53:35 »

Which reminds me, I must go out and buy that full fat Range Rover while I still can:)  ;D

Purely my opinion I would say that 5.0 supercharged petrol if you can handle the 15mpg, beyond my finances but my 3.6 TDV8 twin turbo is more than adequate for me & can return 30 mpg on a run
I have driven the 5.0 and it is a superb vehicle.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2020, 16:10:06 »

Not the Range Rooney Sport :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2020, 17:53:41 »

As a taxpayer, and believer in small state and self reliance, I would still rather see subsidised taxis

Exactly. Although I believe in small state / self reliance, faced with the choice between the two I would rather see taxis for some groups of people subisdised by the state than everyone forced into autonomous vehicles.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2020, 11:21:31 »

travel became so ubiquitous because it was briefly cheap, easy and convenient for almost everybody. Those times are over, we're just too stubborn to admit it.

There is certainly some cause and effect, but if cars had remained rich mens toys, we wouldn't have ended up commuting 50, 60, whatever miles to work each in our own cars, which is a mind boggingly stupid thing to do.

We've ended up with the dog leading the owner, not the other way round

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2020, 13:30:38 »

There is certainly some cause and effect, but if cars had remained rich mens toys, we wouldn't have ended up commuting 50, 60, whatever miles to work each in our own cars, which is a mind boggingly stupid thing to do.

We've ended up with the dog leading the owner, not the other way round

Good point. Before the 'great unwashed' had access to the motor car the journey to work would be no longer than a brisk walk or cycle ride...... or maybe a short bus or tram journey.

The downside of this would mean that you end up marrying the girl next door, or your sister*

* applicable to people living in the north of England and Wales only. :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2020, 20:45:42 »

At one time Englands economy was largely agriculture based,then came the industrial revolution where factories etc opened up.In order to have a ready work force mining villages and factory towns sprang up and people moved there from the countryside.Those industries largely died out and work centres moved leaving the work force no option but to commute which meant it was more convenient to own a car/motorcycle than to use whatever public transport was available.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2020, 21:25:06 »

At one time Englands economy was largely agriculture based,then came the industrial revolution where factories etc opened up.In order to have a ready work force mining villages and factory towns sprang up and people moved there from the countryside.Those industries largely died out and work centres moved leaving the work force no option but to commute which meant it was more convenient to own a car/motorcycle than to use whatever public transport was available.

how does that explain living in one town and driving to, and from, another town 50miles away?
Commuting occurs because it became feasible to do it, first with railways and then cars. Stevenson wasn't inspired to design trains because lots of people wanted to live in Ashford and work in London.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.