Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre longevity  (Read 3970 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Tyre longevity
« on: 18 June 2012, 20:02:34 »

The time has come that we all try to put off as long as possible. :'( :'(

Four new tyres time. :'(

My MV6 currently runs on Michelin Primacy 235/45/17.....and the best price I can find is around the £140-£150 mark. NOT CHEAP. :'(

I rate these tyres. I believe they are original equipment on the MV6. They grip well wet or dry and are not too noisy.

Looking back through old bills I can tell you that the fronts have lasted 29,000 miles and the rears about 23,500 miles. Is this about average mileage or better than that? They are still legal (just) :y

I don't want to buy some budget radials for £70 each and find they're donald ducked within 10,000 miles.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2012, 20:05:24 by Opti »

Martian

Re: tyre longevity
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2012, 20:10:23 »

£70 is bordering on "ditchfinder" territory IMHO.

Narrow down your list of chosen tyres, then go to http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I'm currently running Kumho KU31's on the Beemer (225/50/16).
There is a very small (but noticeable) amount of road noise at motorway speeds, but the handling in both wet & dry scenarios is more than acceptable.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2012, 20:17:16 »

£70 is bordering on "ditchfinder" territory IMHO.

Narrow down your list of chosen tyres, then go to http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I'm currently running Kumho KU31's on the Beemer (225/50/16).
There is a very small (but noticeable) amount of road noise at motorway speeds, but the handling in both wet & dry scenarios is more than acceptable.

Yep. On my old 2.6 CD, I paid £240 for four Wanli Ditchfinders. Not as piss poor as legend suggests, I thought. What sort of mileage do you get from your Kumho KU31's, Martian?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre longevity
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2012, 20:58:41 »

Personally I'd rather have Wanli Ditchfinders than the Michelin tyres on any Omega, but each to their own ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2012, 21:35:56 »

I had KU31s on my Omega last. Can't remember exactly how long they lasted but I'd be surprised if it was more than 18K so, from a purely financial perspective, they probably aren't any cheaper than primacy. They did grip well in wet and dry although didn't inspire as much confidence as some tyres. Feedback wasn't great but if you believed they would stick and turned in anyway they did.. mostly. Noise level was a little higher than the best tyres I've sampled but not bad.

Currently got General Atlimax HP on the front (like you, baulked at paying 100+ a corner for anything with a known brand last time). They are wearing well, reasonably quiet and offering decent grip and handling. N6000s on the rear which probably aren't as good on the grip stakes (will rotate front to rear soon and we'll find out if it gets understeery) but also wearing well and possibly slightly more noisy. Both were around the £80-90 a corner mark. 23-29k is good going for tyre life, IMHO, so on that basis maybe the Primacy is still a good value tyre for you if you like them. We all have different driving styles and preferences. Maybe you'd get that mileage from the KU31s? Maybe you'd get through them in <18K like I did. Who knows?

The main thing is to try a few tyres, IMHO. Then you can appreciate what you're getting (or not) for your money. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2012, 21:44:43 »

I used to have Michelin Primacy's
Now have Michelin Pilot Sport 3's
I find them as good as the Primacy's + they have rim protectors
Still very pricey though
And I don't think their going to return the same mileage

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2012, 22:18:24 »

Had the geometry set up when I last changed the tyres. Had to get four new ones today :'( Rears had done 9500, fronts 9000. About what I was getting from the Goodyears that the car came with 8).

Tyres were Runway Enduros, 16"s are £55-60, 17"s similar money :y They grip in the wet/snow, only negatives are a bit noisy and once they get towards the limit they go off very quickly :-\ I don't drive gently, but TB could probably teach me a thing or two about thrashing tyres ::)

Normally get them ordered the day before, but found this morning that they were basically dead, so had to make do :-\ Duruns at the front, Autogrip at the back :-X at least when they give up I'll have half a chance of dealing with it. Don't expect much more than 7.5k from them... still onle £278 for all four :-\

Martian

« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2012, 22:29:29 »

What sort of mileage do you get from your Kumho KU31's, Martian?
Haven't got a clue as they only went on last week, but if the reviews are to be believed then I expect to see 20K out of them.
One thing to bear in mind though is that your car is approx 600KG heavier than mine, so that will obviously impact on tyre life if you do decide to go for them.

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2012, 08:04:53 »

I had KU31s on my Omega last. Can't remember exactly how long they lasted but I'd be surprised if it was more than 18K so, from a purely financial perspective, they probably aren't any cheaper than primacy. They did grip well in wet and dry although didn't inspire as much confidence as some tyres. Feedback wasn't great but if you believed they would stick and turned in anyway they did.. mostly. Noise level was a little higher than the best tyres I've sampled but not bad.

Currently got General Atlimax HP on the front (like you, baulked at paying 100+ a corner for anything with a known brand last time). They are wearing well, reasonably quiet and offering decent grip and handling. N6000s on the rear which probably aren't as good on the grip stakes (will rotate front to rear soon and we'll find out if it gets understeery) but also wearing well and possibly slightly more noisy. Both were around the £80-90 a corner mark. 23-29k is good going for tyre life, IMHO, so on that basis maybe the Primacy is still a good value tyre for you if you like them. We all have different driving styles and preferences. Maybe you'd get that mileage from the KU31s? Maybe you'd get through them in <18K like I did. Who knows?

The main thing is to try a few tyres, IMHO. Then you can appreciate what you're getting (or not) for your money. ;)

Also got the KU31's fitted on the rear and really can't fault them as said above. Think i paid 75 quid each. Only use mine for weekend and towing holidays so no idea on life span.
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2012, 09:37:33 »

Given the mileage Primacy achieve for your driving style, they are possibly one of the cheapest tyres on the market for you.

As Kev suggests, a cheaper model won't last as long. Mileage and comfort being high on their list of qualitys for most drivers.

Obviously this is not applicable to TB, and similar driving styles to his on/off switch throttle pedal. ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2012, 15:09:36 »

Does anyone have a view on Marangoni tyres?. £97 each at KF for 235/45/17. Italian , I believe........or Arrowspeed at £78 each

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2012, 15:57:26 »

Does anyone have a view on Marangoni tyres?. £97 each at KF for 235/45/17. Italian , I believe........or Arrowspeed at £78 each

not recommended.. :-\  (means dont even think about it ;D )

goodyear eagle f1.. asymm 2..  bought some time ago and all tests I have read and some weeks of experience  , I can recommend them..

dont know their uk prices though..

and stay away from run flats..
« Last Edit: 19 June 2012, 16:01:28 by cem »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2012, 16:40:47 »

UniRoyal Rain Sport 2, if they do them in that size  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

waspy

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2012, 16:43:56 »

Avon do your size & over on the HSV forum they rate them very highly. They push alot of horses too.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.