Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick (hopefully) breather question :)  (Read 721 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Quick (hopefully) breather question :)
« on: 18 November 2012, 19:31:26 »

Hi guys,

Did my breathers today. Took my time, couple of tea breaks, took 3 hours. Long time but as I said I took my time and really enjoyed working on the old girl  :y

Now for those who have seen some of my posts you know I've been experiencing some fuel loss issues. I worked out that I was getting 19.5 MPG.

SO.

When I did the breathers today I found two things:

1.) the main 'Y' pipe wasn't secured; I'd previously replaced the hose clamp with a jubilee clip because it was awkward to get pliers or similar in to that space to ''place'' the hose clamp.....this was spinning freely round the where the 'Y' pipe connected to the breather box and therefore wasn't secure.....so I put the old clip back  :y

2.) the pipe connected to the breather box furthest to the right AND THEN connected to the breather bridge third along (as you look at it) was really cracked at both ends  :o........ SO i replaced it with one pinched from ralf. However it was one I'd modified  ::) it was ralf's pipe that fitted first on the breather box (left to right) and seemed slightly bigger diameter than the last one (left to right). i trimmed it and so far no leaks or anything like that.

Will i, do you think, experience problems with this modified pipe in the future? like for instance the pipe being easily forced off by the oil pressure....... although i am sure someone said the oil pressure from the breather box to the breather bridge is low?

cheers guys
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Quick (hopefully) breather question :)
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2012, 19:36:37 »

Hi guys,

Did my breathers today. Took my time, couple of tea breaks, took 3 hours. Long time but as I said I took my time and really enjoyed working on the old girl  :y

Now for those who have seen some of my posts you know I've been experiencing some fuel loss issues. I worked out that I was getting 19.5 MPG.

SO.

1.) the main 'Y' pipe wasn't secured; I'd previously replaced the hose clamp with a jubilee clip because it was awkward to get pliers or similar in to that space to ''place'' the hose clamp.....this was spinning freely round the where the 'Y' pipe connected to the breather box and therefore wasn't secure.....so I put the old clip back  :y

2.) the pipe connected to the breather box furthest to the right AND THEN connected to the breather bridge third along (as you look at it) was really cracked at both ends  :o........ SO i replaced it with one pinched from ralf. However it was one I'd modified  ::) it was ralf's pipe that fitted first on the breather box (left to right) and seemed slightly bigger diameter than the last one (left to right). i trimmed it and so far no leaks or anything like that.

Will i, do you think, experience problems with this modified pipe in the future? like for instance the pipe being easily forced off by the oil pressure....... although i am sure someone said the oil pressure from the breather box to the breather bridge is low?

cheers guys

Slap a cable tie on it .. in fact .. replace all those horrible clips with cable ties !! I secure all 4 breather pipes with cable ties .. there is no great pressure and no fluids to leak ... so  a cable tie just keeps everything secure... easy to remove with snips, and cheap to replace the next time :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2012, 19:39:00 »

Hi guys,

SO.

cheers guys

Slap a cable tie on it .. in fact .. replace all those horrible clips with cable ties !! I secure all 4 breather pipes with cable ties .. there is no great pressure and no fluids to leak ... so  a cable tie just keeps everything secure... easy to remove with snips, and cheap to replace the next time :)

exactly what i was thinking!!! cheers mate  :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2012, 21:04:18 »

SO i replaced it with one pinched from ralf

How many more bits you got stashed away from ralf  ::) ::) All come in handy though dont they  ;)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2012, 21:30:09 »

seemed slightly bigger diameter than the last one (left to right).

On my MFL the two internal pipes were the same diameter, whereas on the FL there are different sizes.  :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.