Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the bikers...  (Read 7310 times)

05omegav6

Re: One for the bikers...
« Reply #30 on: 01 July 2014, 15:59:32 »

You're welcome...

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 July 2014, 17:24:31 »

I find that the more vents a lid has generally the noisier it is. My son bought me a cheap crash helmet for my birthday (to match his) and even though it was around £60 it was much much quieter than my £180 AGV. I now use the cheapie all the time and its fine up to reasonable speeds. If I think I might be getting a move on I stick in some freebee earplugs I got from the Bennetts girls down at the Ace Café Brighton burn up do. Not only do they help keep the worst of the noise out but Its nice to think of who gave me them. :-* :y

If you've been you will know what I mean! :y

On the odd occasion I also use my "bandit" helmet (Simpson clone) that only has the vents at the front and that is very quite at all speeds, just not quite legal.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 July 2014, 18:38:00 »

Cheers, always been a bit put off the cheapies on safety grounds. When I was learning they said look for the gold sticker  :-\

The Shark, although not tried one yet, gets very good reviews and 'middle of the road' in terms of cost.

Ps you can try it yourself by stuffing, a sock, say, up under your ear between the neck and helmet, or have the lid altered. Shoei and Arai do a fitting service, although I've never used it.

This was a really good shout, I stuffed a sock in the left hand side on the way back. Reduced the noise considerably, so much so, looked down at speed never usually get such low noise at higher speeds. Interestingly I could not get sock in on the right side. So must have gone weak on one side?

Called by here on the way home... http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/

Tried a various Schuberth's not that impressed, tried a few others some did rip my ears off  ;D

None were as comfy as my Shoei though, but I was disappointed by the range of Shoei with flip down sun visors could not see any, only their new 'Air' has them, so not in discount place.  :(

Not got any Shark ones to try.  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 July 2014, 19:49:01 »

Why would you want to impear,your hearing when riding or driving on the public highway,same as the numbtys you now see wearing earphones.,
be interesting to see what the police or insurance would say, if found you had ear plugs in and had an accident.
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2014, 19:50:37 »

Why would you want to impear,your hearing when riding or driving on the public highway,same as the numbtys you now see wearing earphones.,
be interesting to see what the police or insurance would say, if found you had ear plugs in and had an accident.
Careful... that almost reads like an opinion ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 July 2014, 19:57:12 »

Careful... that almost reads like an opinion ::)

whoops.  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

chrisgixer

« Reply #36 on: 01 July 2014, 19:57:27 »

Oh I'm sure they'd give you 3points on the spot, Big ;D

Especially if fatal ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 July 2014, 20:01:03 »

I've used the foam ear plugs, same pair for years with no ear infection problems. As soon as I take them out, I just put them in small plastic box, so they didn't get lost or damaged. Likewise, I've kept to using them (I think they were free with MCN) as they fit just right, where I have tried alternatives, they were either too big or too small which means that they have a tendency to move or pop out. :( It might be worth trying a few different makes / sizes until you find one that fits just right. :y

My AVG helmet is very noisy and they do make a big difference. At one time I was doing a 70 mile round trip commute 2 or 3 times a week with most of it at motorway, dual carriageway and national speed limit speeds. I certainly noticed the end of journey hearing attenuation on the odd occasion I forgot to put them in. :o I also found they provided enough attenuation, but not so much you couldn't hear things around you. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 July 2014, 20:04:16 »

Oh I'm sure they'd give you 3points on the spot, Big ;D

Especially if fatal ::)

only 3.
never find a policeman when you need one, weres jasonm.
Hoof'land storeman.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 July 2014, 20:07:06 »

What about the police motorcyclists with their comms. headphones?

I always found earplugs allow you to hear engine noise etc. and the white noise sound from moving air is quite high frequency, which ear plugs are better at attenuating.

On a bike you are much more in touch with your surrounding including sounds with ear plugs than you are in a car, especially if the radio / CD player is set to a Chav level 11. :D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 July 2014, 21:26:19 »

If you read what has gone before and understand the basics, earplugs reduce harmful windnoise, but retain engine and other sounds. Most bikers use them, including police riders  ::)

Try this for size.... stick your head out of the car window at 70mph, see how you like it!  ;)

I asked for advice on people who used them, if you don't have a fricking clue about subject why show your complete stupidity?  ::)  Fluck me.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 July 2014, 21:27:53 »

I've used the foam ear plugs, same pair for years with no ear infection problems. As soon as I take them out, I just put them in small plastic box, so they didn't get lost or damaged. Likewise, I've kept to using them (I think they were free with MCN) as they fit just right, where I have tried alternatives, they were either too big or too small which means that they have a tendency to move or pop out. :( It might be worth trying a few different makes / sizes until you find one that fits just right. :y

My AVG helmet is very noisy and they do make a big difference. At one time I was doing a 70 mile round trip commute 2 or 3 times a week with most of it at motorway, dual carriageway and national speed limit speeds. I certainly noticed the end of journey hearing attenuation on the odd occasion I forgot to put them in. :o I also found they provided enough attenuation, but not so much you couldn't hear things around you. :y

As mentioned before, generally happy with ones I have, but they are a bag I bought about 4 years ago, just off shelf in a bike shop, without really looking into them. Fine for touring, but day-day use, need something a little better.  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 July 2014, 21:30:58 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 July 2014, 21:33:00 »

I reckon you're better off with a better lid, tunnie.

As you know, when I had a bike, I never used ear plugs, and even at reasonably sustained speeds that you wouldn't be doing, never had an issue. *But* I had a lid that suits my nut, as opposed to one that had specific features I wanted.

Whilst he's not a biker, I do agree with Taxi Al, you don't want to suppress signs of danger. Be it a car, cyclist, or even a new rattle from your own bike.

I'm surprised you find it an issue at 70mph on your beemer - IIRC, it has a full screen on it which sound significantly reduce wind noise, and its hardly a loud bike.

My advice would be to treat yourself to a new skid-lid, and go for the one fits the best. I know you really want that Shark one, but if its not the best fit, its not the correct one for you. IMHO anyway.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 July 2014, 21:34:07 »

If you read what has gone before and understand the basics, earplugs reduce harmful windnoise, but retain engine and other sounds. Most bikers use them, including police riders  ::)

Try this for size.... stick your head out of the car window at 70mph, see how you like it!  ;)

I asked for advice on people who used them, if you don't have a fricking clue about subject why show your complete stupidity?  ::)  Fluck me.
Chill pill, calm it
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.