Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we gone too far in quest for cheap?  (Read 3157 times)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Have we gone too far in quest for cheap?
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2017, 19:00:19 »

some of the drains I see look like they were thrown in from the side,

a few years ago we had an independant time and motion study, they went through finance like a dose of salts, getting rid of about 25% of them,
when they came to us they said we needed more staff, up to 10, several years later due to cuts and reundancies we are down to TWO staff and another in the office, yes the workload has reduced, but the pressure to "get round" is immense.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 26 June 2017, 19:19:43 »

some of the drains I see look like they were thrown in from the side,

a few years ago we had an independant time and motion study, they went through finance like a dose of salts, getting rid of about 25% of them,
when they came to us they said we needed more staff, up to 10, several years later due to cuts and reundancies we are down to TWO staff and another in the office, yes the workload has reduced, but the pressure to "get round" is immense.
Which part of Yorkshire do you cover?

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 June 2017, 19:30:45 »

it seems like most of it some days, between ( but not including) York and Donny

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 26 June 2017, 19:38:38 »

it seems like most of it some days, between ( but not including) York and Donny
That's a huge area for two people to cover, although I suppose a lot of it is rural. Quite a nice part of the world to be out and about in.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 June 2017, 21:18:42 »

several towns and large villages.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2017, 10:42:04 »

I never had a problem with builders on a bungalow I bought to completely modernise , I had a problem with the building inspector!  ;D
He kept missing appointments....and used to get royally peed off when I told the builders to carry on regardless...I used to tell him when he did finally turn up...."So, are you going to pay my builders to sit on their arses for days waiting for you to turn up".
He had a go at me about a flat roof on extension.....the plans showed mushroom vents in the roof.....it didn't have any...
I asked why do I need the vents....he said for ventilation in the roof space....I replied wheres the ventilation when the roof space is filled with insulation....he asked is it?? I got the electrician who was onsite at the time to pop out a downlighter....which he did and BI shut up when he shone torch up there and saw insulation everywhere....
Never saw the BI again on that project......and still got it signed off  ;D :y

I have had one many years ago who was a bit slow and I had to work through the appropriate section of the Building regs with him plus the span tables for joist sizing (I had used floor joists in the ceiling of an extension so I could board the loft, they were 150 x 270mm, 4.8m span at 400mm centres in C24 timber so well up to the job and he thought they were 47 x 150!)

But the bottom line is, the building regs are really well written and an easy read (they have to be so builders can understand them!) but, if you go full plans on an extension then the vast majority of builders will cut corners and it wont get seen at final signoff (how can it?) so its easy for them to cut corners.

As said, if you actually know what to look for and watch a build happening, you see some real shoddy work!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2017, 12:56:54 »

Some neighbours of ours got an extension built. First inspection revealed that the line of the sewer was exactly where the back wall should have been, so loads of arsing around to get that sorted. Then everything was hunky dory until the roofers turned up with the tiles and declared "Not on those timbers, we don't! Do you know how much it's going to weigh?". ::)

The architect was not a popular chap, as it was all his doing.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2017, 17:12:54 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.