Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zafira B airbag light  (Read 2718 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Zafira B airbag light
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2023, 15:56:59 »

that said , caution is advised when working on SRS and airbags whichever software & diagnostic interface is used

you could end up with a bag of white powder in the face , and i'm not talking about the moreish Columbian white powder either  :P
I had one go off using one of the dodgy options, can't remember if it was the software than cant be named, or its predecessor, Cheapo-Tech2.  Less concerned about the smattering of power, or my temporary deafness, but more about how much I could fill my pants.

Genuine Tech2, no such concerns, will happily sit in the driver's seat, diagnosing the SRS ECU :y
;D

just eat 12 hard boiled eggs the day before working on air bags and fit/insert a cork to be on the safe side  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2023, 13:58:46 »

that said , caution is advised when working on SRS and airbags whichever software & diagnostic interface is used

you could end up with a bag of white powder in the face , and i'm not talking about the moreish Columbian white powder either  :P
I had one go off using one of the dodgy options, can't remember if it was the software than cant be named, or its predecessor, Cheapo-Tech2.  Less concerned about the smattering of power, or my temporary deafness, but more about how much I could fill my pants.

Genuine Tech2, no such concerns, will happily sit in the driver's seat, diagnosing the SRS ECU :y
;D

just eat 12 hard boiled eggs the day before working on air bags and fit/insert a cork to be on the safe side  :D
Ah, so I'm not alone in being affected by eggs.

Me and bro once went to a Harvester, back when they used to do gammon and as many eggs as you can eat.  Obviously, with me and bro, things got a little competitive, and we ate far too many eggs. Like dozens.  He said it had no impact, but I didn't use the potty for about 4 days, which clearly ended in much pain, lots of blood, and damage to the door hinges as I used the door handle as a straining bar....

I try to keep to a max of one egg a day now....
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2023, 16:31:53 »

;D

Ah, so I'm not alone in being affected by eggs.

Me and bro once went to a Harvester, back when they used to do gammon and as many eggs as you can eat.  Obviously, with me and bro, things got a little competitive, and we ate far too many eggs. Like dozens.  He said it had no impact, but I didn't use the potty for about 4 days, which clearly ended in much pain, lots of blood, and damage to the door hinges as I used the door handle as a straining bar....

I try to keep to a max of one egg a day now....
Am egg a day us not a bad thing at all  :)
I've done some research (because of my mum's dementia & Alzheimer's )
25% of the food you eat us used by the brain ,
 and the cholesterol from one egg a day has no major impact on bad cholesterol  levels .

I always believed hard boiled eggs "bound you up"  :-\
BUT ,
 the GOOGLE says " Some people believe that eggs can cause constipation. However, there is not much scientific evidence that supports this. They are a low fiber food, though, so eating a lot of them may contribute to constipation.

probably wandering slightly off the ait bag topic at this point ,which is unusual for an OOF thread  >:D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2023, 16:41:26 »

Maybe I should try again for a scientific experiement, but fortunately for me, Harvester no longer do unlimited eggs with gammon, my potty and botty are please to say....
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2023, 16:47:51 »

Maybe I should try again for a scientific experiment, but fortunately for me, Harvester no longer do unlimited eggs with gammon, my potty and botty are please to say....
probably best to stick to one egg a day  ;)
Any scientific experiment would mean we'd probably have to read about the "results" here on OOF  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2023, 09:47:06 »

Any scientific experiment would mean we'd probably have to read about the "results" here on OOF  :D
Clearly, from this mornings results, no eggs consumed in the last 24 hours.

Viral_Jim, hows the airbag?
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2023, 18:36:29 »

Viral_Jim, hows the airbag?

It's taken me until tonight to get some diagnostics setup and the VX module installed on it.

After clearing various historical codes, the only one I have left is on the SRS system (no sh!t Sherlock) and it for Drivers airbag squib circuit (stage 1) high resistance.

Reading actual data for some of the circuits on the module I get the following resistance values (expressed in ohm)

Driver's airbag squib stage 1  3.45
Driver's airbag squib stage 2  2.77
Driver's side airbag squib 2.18
Driver's side curtain airbag squib 2.48
Driver's pretensioner squib   2.21

My thoughts (for what they're worth) looking at the values, I don't think it's going to be the under seat plug as this would put the resistance up on a number of circuits as I'm guessing the wiring is shared. Noting that the stage 2 squib resistance is also high, albeit not as high as stage 1, I'm thinking something in the steering column. Dirt in/on the clock spring maybe, meaning power isn't getting through to the wheel as well as it should. Stage 1 is an outer ring, stage 2 is more towards the centre (meaning it's got less crap on it)? I don't know how exactly that part of the car is made up.

That's my thought process, more thoughts would be welcome!

« Last Edit: 18 June 2023, 18:44:11 by Viral_Jim »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2023, 19:39:14 »

I'd unplug/remove the steering wheel airbag  ,then re-check faults

it should confirm  you have the correct faulty circuit
(sometimes some software is confusing about passenger/driver because of LHD and RHD )
IIRC airbag will be 2.2 ish ohms
there is no slip ring/contacts in the wheel ,
 it's a ribbon cable loop I think (so MUST be central when fitting ,or the ribbon tears when you turn the wheel )
check the part numbers on the squib
you don't want to buy zafira A or C bits for a zaf B ,though astra H may be the same part numbers  ;)

this is assuming "someone" hasn't dumped coffee/tea/coke/cider or other liquid(including carpet shampooing)  over the crash module in the center console and corroded the module terminals  :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2023, 20:00:07 »

this is assuming "someone" hasn't dumped coffee/tea/coke/cider or other liquid(including carpet shampooing)  over the crash module in the center console and corroded the module terminals  :-X

Thanks Dave, I will diagnose further as you suggest, although not until Wednesday as I need the car to behave tomorrow and Tuesday for drives to the office.

I honestly don't recall any liquid being spilled in the centre console but I a) am not the sole user and b) do have part ownership of an eight year old boy, so anything is possible. if I wanted to check the ECU, how/where would I find it?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2023, 20:13:22 »

Thanks Dave, I will diagnose further as you suggest, although not until Wednesday as I need the car to behave tomorrow and Tuesday for drives to the office.

I honestly don't recall any liquid being spilled in the centre console but I a) am not the sole user and b) do have part ownership of an eight year old boy, so anything is possible. if I wanted to check the ECU, how/where would I find it?

IIRC under the center console by the handbrake ,so it's a console out job ,
plenty of videos on the youtube u'd think

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2023, 20:43:28 »

Typically it's either under the ashtray at the front of the centre console or behind the handbrake mounting.

Different manufacturers have different approaches, but it makes it less vulnerable in the centre of the car.

The airbag blows in two stages so that you don't get the full monty in the face before the cover has a chance to get out of the way, although we're talking milliseconds  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2023, 12:41:19 »

That live data looks like the steering wheel airbag, but there are a number of components involved.

With battery disconnected, and the airbag itself disconnected, meter through the circuit through the contactor.  I'd be wary putting a meter on an actual airbag squib - a DVM shouldn't set it off, but it could be a nasty accident if an unrestrained airbag does deploy.

If it meters good from ECU plug to airbag squib plug, I'd be looking at a replacement airbag unit - I have seen them go slightly high resistance before.

You might be lucky, and just the act of unplugging, and plugging back in could fix resistance issues.  But disconnect the battery first!
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2023, 14:43:37 »

Did GM fit any Takata airbags :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2023, 23:59:01 »

Thanks all, I'm not now in t'office tomorrow so I'll have a play in the afternoon.

Tb, I will check as advised. If it is the rotary connector, other forums seem to indicate it can only be bought as part of a larger module, like the one linked below. Anyone know if this is the case or if I can get it separately?

https://www.megavaux.co.uk/p10140_cim-module-a05-dual-airbag-2connectors-433mhz

If not I'd be tempted to strip it down and get someone to repair the ribbon...I'm guessing a new CIM would need coding to the car with tech 2?  :-\
« Last Edit: 20 June 2023, 00:02:34 by Viral_Jim »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2023, 07:50:04 »

You will be hard pushed to fix a flexi circuit board if it is the squib in the CIM (the Zaf B/AstraH have a CIM module which is basically a switch pack to CAN interface so handles all the stalks and wheel switches plus some other bits and has a pass through for the airbag)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.