Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project finally done  (Read 1658 times)

Ronald_McBurger

Project finally done
« on: 01 April 2007, 16:59:00 »

This is the CDX auto I bought in February needing an autobox change.

Today myself, Matchless and Laidback66 finally got around to tackling it. In a nutshell it was a gearbox transplant. I started by disconnecting the two oil piupes and loosening the bellhousing bolts first, all of which came undone easily. Then Pete and Dave arrived (coincidentally, just as a put the kettle on). After a quick cuppa we got cracking. Being a V6, we had to remove the entire exhaust system for access. Pete and Dave did most of this between them. Then, we simply took the old box off. Time from start to old box removed and away from car 1hr 3mins.

Then we changed the gearbox mounts for the later type and started the slightly slower process of putting the new box on. Marrying up the torque convertor was a pig. In the end we had to go the longer way of removing the torque convertor and mounting it to the gearbox, then fit both back. the problem with this is that you then have to refit the six bolts which secure the torque convertor to the driveplate, through a very small opening in the worst possible place, right by the cross member. It is VERY easy to drop any of the bolts inside the bell housing, in which case you start again. Pete volunteered for this task and did all six without any trouble. We then finished fitting all the connectors, gear linkage etc and then tghtened up all the gearbox mounting bolts and support.

The exhaust was simply too cumbersome and heavy to easily fit back on in one piece, so reluctantly we had to break the seal from centre secions to cats. Of course, one of the bolts sheered, but surpsingly none of the others did. So, much angle grinding and several drill bits later we had the old stud out.

More tea, bacon sarnies (sorry Pete) and plodding on. Now, at this point I wanted to call it a day, but dave spurned me on so we finished the job. All told, 6 hours from start to finished. Finally, we started it up for the first time in 4 weeks. It ran fine and more importantly the gearbox is fine. No warning lights, no computer messages. job done.

So, I must extend my sincere thanks to both Pete adn Dave, without whom I would have more tea in the caddy and one bacon sarnie more. Seriously, I am extremely grateful to both of them.

This shows guys, that a V6 box change can be done in a day with a couple of mates and a bit of 'lets just do it'.

Project costs:

Car - £300
Box - £75
Petrol to get it £40

Total, £415. Car value now? £1000+. S reg 2.5v6 CDX Auto, 115k from new with full history and MoT'd. Not bad. :y
« Last Edit: 01 April 2007, 16:59:22 by Ronald_McBurger »

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Project finally done
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2007, 17:12:03 »

Well done guys :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2007, 17:15:12 »

Cracking job you guys. :y
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2007, 17:19:49 »

In the end we had to go the longer way of removing the torque convertor and mounting it to the gearbox, then fit both back. the problem with this is that you then have to refit the six bolts which secure the torque convertor to the driveplate

Which is actualy the correct way to do it......sometimes you get lucky and can do it the other way......but there is greater risk of damaging the converter.

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2007, 17:36:29 »

A profitable day! Well done you three :y

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2007, 18:16:12 »

It was good to get working properly on a car again, pratice will stand me in good stead for tomorrow.

Now I start stripping the elite estate in the morning. I aim to have the job virtually done by tomorrow night (I need the car gone quickly as I collect another project on Tuesday!  ::))
The Administrator.

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2007, 22:41:16 »

Dave is very modest. His skills with most things mechanical are very high. His knowledge of how much tea you need on these jobs is also remarkable. Seriously Dave will enjoy stripping tomorrow, but do the car first mate! ;D
« Last Edit: 01 April 2007, 22:41:31 by Ronald_McBurger »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2007, 22:42:40 »

It was good to get working properly on a car again, pratice will stand me in good stead for tomorrow.

Now I start stripping the elite estate in the morning. I aim to have the job virtually done by tomorrow night (I need the car gone quickly as I collect another project on Tuesday!  ::))

If I can help with anything Dave, just say the word...

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2007, 22:45:17 »

In the end we had to go the longer way of removing the torque convertor and mounting it to the gearbox, then fit both back. the problem with this is that you then have to refit the six bolts which secure the torque convertor to the driveplate

Which is actualy the correct way to do it......sometimes you get lucky and can do it the other way......but there is greater risk of damaging the converter.

Yes, yes. You are right, but then again I can tile quicker than you! Ok, so they will not be quiet as straight as yours, or fancy colours. They may also look more like crazy paving too, but hey.... thats just me!

You can do most auto boxes with the torque convertor still on the flywheel, but you do get the odd one that just won't play. This was it!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2007, 22:49:14 »

Nice work guys  :y

Was it just done on axel stands? Seen a few fleabay projects with nakered boxes..... tempted by them at a later stage.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2007, 23:00:58 »

Done with axle stands, jacks (2 are useful), patience and at least 2 people (3 helps).

Not a difficult job but take regular breaks as the fumes from the ATF have a nasty effect after a while.
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2007, 23:13:49 »

Done with axle stands, jacks (2 are useful), patience and at least 2 people (3 helps).

Not a difficult job but take regular breaks as the fumes from the ATF have a nasty effect after a while.

I would have to draft in support then for that job  :D

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2007, 23:28:06 »

ATF my arse!

How else could we consume all that tea AND fresh baked scones PLUS enjoy a virtuoso performance on the piano without taking the odd break.

Spring must really be here, Ive been released from painting and decorating and allowed to play with cars for a morning but then the leash was re-tightened and I was sentanced to an afternoon of gardening as punishment for enjoying myself too much. (or possibly I just smelt of ATF too much to be allowed in the house)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2007, 09:04:02 »

LB, you know you want to help me with my MV6's ATF.... ::).  And handbrake whilst we're under there.... ::)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2007, 11:49:38 »

LB, you know you want to help me with my MV6's ATF.... ::).  And handbrake whilst we're under there.... ::)

You cant do the handbrake....you dont have the correct ratchet spanner.... ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2007, 11:58:18 »

You cant do the handbrake....you dont have the correct ratchet spanner.... ::)
Thats why I don't feel bad making LB do it.... ....you never know, he may leave his on my car, then I would have full set again ;D
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2007, 20:58:08 »

You cant do the handbrake....you dont have the correct ratchet spanner....

Who needs a ratchet spanner?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.