Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel Saving Tips  (Read 2196 times)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Saving Tips
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2010, 16:00:20 »

well with my luck the last thing id take out is my spare wheel :(, & i have to carry my 25 litre drum & a length of hose pipe as i find that makes my running costs cheaper ;) ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2010, 16:02:22 »

but if you do big miles you want something comfy! I got 32 mpg out of my last tank, that included blasting down some twisties, in summer i get 34-36mpg on average which is not bad, rather pay extra in fuel than drive a small derv

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2010, 16:05:02 »

This could be the start of a new thread - "what 1.9 /2.0 cdti's are comfy"

Signum, Skoda Superb, Mondeo for starters maybe
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2010, 17:32:50 »

If like most of us you have the most uneconmical of cars with an autobox one of the ways to slightly improve mpg is when slowing down just lift off the accelerator gently to allow the car to reduce speed rather than press the brake pedal(unless absolutely necessary) and if it is fitted use cruise control to maintain your speed.
I know these will make the journey dull but as the dreaded Tesco say 'Every Little Helps'
Don't wee on the electric fence

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2010, 17:42:31 »

If like most of us you have the most uneconmical of cars with an autobox one of the ways to slightly improve mpg is when slowing down just lift off the accelerator gently to allow the car to reduce speed rather than press the brake pedal(unless absolutely necessary) and if it is fitted use cruise control to maintain your speed.
I know these will make the journey dull but as the dreaded Tesco say 'Every Little Helps'

From an economical point of view this is actually a bad method of driving!!!!

Well proven that CC in attempting to ALWAYS maintain constant speed will "accelerate" up hills, then go to "engine braking"  on the downhill side...... it is far better to hold the throttle constant and allow the speed to decay slightly as you climb the hill then build back up as you descend the other side.

If you have CC just try it ... watch the instant consumption figures as the CC goes uphill .. then do a constant throttle yourself and compare the results .. :)

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2010, 17:48:42 »

This might sound like porkies, but I haven't filled my car yet this year! I must get it out of the garage this weekend and fill it up & give it a run ....

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2010, 17:57:10 »

Well proven that CC in attempting to ALWAYS maintain constant speed will "accelerate" up hills, then go to "engine braking"  on the downhill side...... it is far better to hold the throttle constant and allow the speed to decay slightly as you climb the hill then build back up as you descend the other side.

If you have CC just try it ... watch the instant consumption figures as the CC goes uphill .. then do a constant throttle yourself and compare the results .. :)

I live in Lincolnshire we don't know what hills are it's so flat  ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2010, 18:01:27 »

okies ... might work for you then ... but for those of us in the "less flat" parts of the world ........      :)

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 March 2010, 18:07:58 »

okies ... might work for you then ... but for those of us in the "less flat" parts of the world ........      :)

Overall on long journeys i try to use cc on the flat and as you state manually hold the throttle at the required position (Oh the hardship of doing it myself ;)) on the inclines

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2010, 23:39:23 »

I retro fitted CC to my motor a few years ago, and whilst I didn't really consider it a fuel economy type of device, it does help with the 'average speed cameras' thereby (hopefully) avoiding any tickets!
Money saved ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2010, 09:33:44 »

I find my speed tends towards the naughty number of digits in the Omega unless I have cruise control on. :-[

Also, consider that an automatic will be very much more efficient once it's in 4th and locked up. I reckon the difference between low 40's with the sludge pump doing its' worst and high 40's locked up is about 6-8 MPG  - so in a V6 you need to avoid dropping below about 45-50 MPH

That's my excuse, anyway.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2010, 09:45:53 »

I find my speed tends towards the naughty number of digits in the Omega unless I have cruise control on. :-[

Also, consider that an automatic will be very much more efficient once it's in 4th and locked up. I reckon the difference between low 40's with the sludge pump doing its' worst and high 40's locked up is about 6-8 MPG  - so in a V6 you need to avoid dropping below about 45-50 MPH

Kevin

I think it's called 'making progress Officer'  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2010, 10:22:04 »

Kevin

I think it's called 'making progress Officer'  ;D

Don't think it saves much fuel these days, either, having to red-line it to get past all the dawdlers. ::)  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.