Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Met police driver training  (Read 1200 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Met police driver training
« on: 07 March 2011, 19:05:46 »

Quite a few marked and unmarked Omega's in this vid.... looks like a time when Vauxhall SVO was a big supplier to the Met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYJ-8koyX4&feature=related

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Re: Met police driver training
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2011, 21:54:47 »

Nice find :y :y. The Omega did look the part.
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

belfast stephen

• Belfast NI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2011, 22:25:39 »

in the garage shot you can see 2 white rover 800s

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2011, 22:53:19 »

Interesting video - lots of Vx's, some good footage of Omegas.  The skid pan reminded me of the old police skid pan at Hendon - remember training in a Jag 3.8s running slicks on a surface of oil mixed with detergent.  The police instructor could hydraulically lock any brake (or combination of brakes) with the flick of a switch.  Had some fun in that.

Also good to see the defensive driving techniques - similar to a course one of my previous employers sent company car drivers on.

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2011, 23:36:46 »

First time I tried the link I got Volvo police drivers training in the snow, since when were we recruiting to the Police at aged 15 years, let alone them driving the cars...... ::) ::) ::)  Somehow I feel that this may have something to do with me getting older... :( :( :'( :'( :'(

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2011, 15:42:15 »

As the Mrs will tell you, i'd be crap at that commentary lark, cant multi task, talk and drive at the same time? No chance.

Although the conversation is on topic at least,  :y  and not some random thoughts just falling out into the car. ....  :-X  ::)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2011, 16:20:11 »

As the Mrs will tell you, i'd be crap at that commentary lark, cant multi task, talk and drive at the same time? No chance.

Although the conversation is on topic at least,  :y  and not some random thoughts just falling out into the car. ....  :-X  ::)

Yes, commentary driving is quite difficult and becomes more so the faster you have to drive.

I hated having to do it - as did the instructors who had the misfortune to sit beside me and listen: "Please keep your remarks relevant Constable" was how things started out but as time went on this developed into, "Den, will you for opps's sake stop wittering". ;D

I did master it in the end and I must say that even thinking in that way does improve observational powers.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2011, 16:32:05 »

Yes, commentary driving is quite difficult and becomes more so the faster you have to drive.

I hated having to do it - as did the instructors who had the misfortune to sit beside me and listen: "Please keep your remarks relevant Constable" was how things started out but as time went on this developed into, "Den, will you for blank's sake stop wittering". ;D

I did master it in the end and I must say that even thinking in that way does improve observational powers.

It's the same in the air. Quite often a gliding instructor will ask you to talk through what you are doing and why during a check.

I find the things I remember to comment on I don't actually do, and the remainder of things I do but don't mention. ::) Normally the instructor is happy that I'd actually thought about all of them. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.