Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from a Catera owner  (Read 3286 times)

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
Hello from a Catera owner
« on: 26 January 2007, 08:58:23 »

Greetings from Buffalo, New York. My name is Elvin Rivera and I am the proud owner of a Cadillac Catera Sport. I believe it's equivilant to an Omega MV6. Maybe someone here can verify that for me. My "Cat" is a platinum 2001 Sport version with 53,000 miles. Your Omegas and our Cateras share the same 3.0L V6 powerplant but we get only the 4-speed automatic transmission. We also get the transmission's Sport setting in addition to Traction Control and Snow Mode. The Catera Sport has 17 inch wheels with 235/45-17 rubber. The suspension settings are decidedly firm, with self leveling shock absorbers on the rear. No Cadillac before the Catera ever handled like this. The resulting ride is closer to Corvette than Cadillac.

I absolutely love this car. It's had a few issues that I've had to address like weeping valve covers and a leaking heater valve but I expected things like this with a used car. Cadillac issued a recall regarding the timing belt tensioner and my car had its replaced at 18,000 miles so I guess I'll be due for a new belt and tensioner fairly soon. I wish there was a way to convert the belt to a chain but regardless, I accept this as part of owning the best handling car I've ever owned.

Handling is more important to me that top speed bragging rights. As big as this country is there are no autobahns on which to explore the far end of the speedometer. When the money appears I'll add lowering springs, premium sport dampers, and strut braces front and rear.  I'll probably need upgraded control arm bushings and wheel alignment eccentric bolts too. I'm also shopping for bigger brakes or at least drilled/slotted discs with ceranic pads. I used to club race slaloms years ago, before being a responsible father took precedence, and would like to start again now that my kids are both done with college.

You can keep your BMWs, MBs, and Audis. I prefer Opel's styling, especially over the origami look that Cadillac has embraced. I seriously dislike their creased and folded sheetmetal. I've already added a personal touch to my Cat with new 17 inch wheels that wear Michelin snow tires for winter driving. I'd like to add a few body pieces like a front spoiler and side skirts to make her stand out. I don't want to go over the top, just some subtle updates. Those kits are hard to come by over here as the Catera was never a big seller. There's little aftermarket suport for her here so I'll have to order from the UK or Germany for what I want.

I generally like the 3.0L engine. I've owned motorcycles for almost thirty years (I currently ride a Kawasaki Concours, a GTR1000 to you) so I'm used to high reving engines, and boy does this engine like to spin. Sounds like a racecar. I do wish it didn't seem so delicate. The 3.0L doesn't enjoy a reputation for reliability over here. Among the complaints are leaking valve covers, seizing timing belt tensioners, leaking waterpumps, an oil cooler which contaminates the engine's coolant, and numerous electronic bugs. The biggest weakness is the timing belt which destroys pistons and valves when it lets go.

Like I said before I love the car, but would consider an engine swap. Is the 3.2L an improvement? Does it suffer these problems? Will the 3.2L swap easily with the 3.0L? Are the electronics the same for both engines? Cadillac uses the 3.2L in their CTS so they are available but if they're not an improvement why bother swapping. While I'm not looking for more power, the LS1 5.7L V8 would've  been nice. Obviously they're plentiful here and have lots of aftermarket support. The Aussies put one into their Commodores. I wish Opel/Vauxhall had done the same.

Wow, I just realized I've droned on for too long. I apologize. I guess now you all know how long winded and boring I am. Still, I'm afraid it won't prevent me from posting from time to time. "I am what I am, and that's all that I am." Thanks for being patient.

Elvin

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

Martin_1962

Re: Hello from a Catera owner
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2007, 09:10:56 »

Hello & Welcome

We get the 4 speed auto too

Rumours there were 5 speed in Europe

Engines are reliable provided you keep them maintained

Parts may be cheaper bought direct from the UK

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2007, 09:32:29 »

Hi Elvin and welcome to the forum.

You could message Mtek performance and see if the chip he supplies at a very reasonable price will work on your car. :y
Retired

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2007, 10:51:23 »

Hi Elvin & welcome.  If you want to stand out and look good I suggest styling from Irmscher - see this link in parts for sale for front bumper assembly http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168519369
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2007, 11:37:41 »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2007, 12:02:01 »

Hi Elvin and a big welcome from the other side of the pond. :y The V6 is a great engine if taken care of properly but the rocker cover seals are a weakness.
Regards
Bob
« Last Edit: 26 January 2007, 12:02:57 by bob.dent »
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2007, 12:27:23 »

Welcome to the forum, Elvin!  8-)  :y
What an introduction!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2007, 12:36:36 »

Welcome to the site Elvin :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2007, 14:18:29 »

Welcome to the forum :y
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2007, 18:02:36 »

Welcome to the site :)

Its great to hear about the differences between essentially the same car around the world.

Ours are mostly 4 speed, I believe there is a 5 speed box, but not sure if it was ever fitted to UK cars, certainly I've not seen one.  Ours too have the sports mode on the box :y

The 3.2 is only marginally more powerful, certainly not enough of a difference to warrant swapping.  Its a similar block, but significantly difference electronics - eg Motronic 3.1 (as opposed to Motronic 2.8 in 3.0l), coil per plug, no egr, no SAI, and is a Drive By Wire system.

For the Motronic 2.8 fitted to your 3.0l, there are a few chips giving an extra few HP, but I do not know of any US suppliers, sorry.

Your weeping cam cover gaskets and leaking heater valve are common enough problems, but really want sorting quickly before it causes a breakdown.  On this site, we have guides how to change the gaskets (also do the breathers, as its these that cause the gaskets to fail), and the heater bypass valve (HBV) has been covered here a number of times as well.  UK prices (in UK Pounds) are about £75 for the gaskets and associated O rings, and about £30 for a new HBV.  Your prices are hopefully a little cheaper - we're not called 'rip off Britain' for nothing!
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2007, 18:43:34 »

Hello Elvin & welcome  :)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Big Steve

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2007, 19:06:39 »

Hi & welcome :)
IT'S AN OMEGA JIM BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2007, 07:45:20 »

Welcome to the Forum Elvin :y

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2007, 15:03:51 »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the advice.

That Irmscher airdam is tempting especially with the foglights and bracket thrown in but it really is more DTM than I prefer. I'm looking for something that will actually reduce the airflow under the car. With those huge openings I don't see how it can accomplish that. I'm more of a "function over form" type of guy. Irmscher and Steinmetz both have front spoilers without all the scoops. They attach to the existing front valance. Besides, the car already has foglights.

I agree about the engine. Any motor will perform better and last longer if maintained properly. America is, for the most part, the land of the pushrod valve. Many ignore the regular maintanance chores. Basic stuff like frequent oil and filter changes. Some never learn and treat these new engines with the same disregard as before, then have the nerve to complain when they fail. Old dogs/New tricks.

The problem with the Catera is that in the US they've been out of production for 6 years and we're buying them not knowing their service histories, playing catch-up to bring them back to proper form. Cadillac treats it like an illegitimate child barely acknowledging it. Their dealerships have either lost the Catera trained techs or they've gotten rusty so odds of your car getting proper attention from a Catera Certified Tech are long. Then there's just plain goofy engineering. Opel could have helped matters by packaging the components differently so the HBV doesn't take the DIS with it when it leaks, or designing the valve covers so they would blow off excess pressure and not leak, or fixing the cambelt tensioner once and for all. The engine has been around long enough for these changes to have been made, but noooooo.................

I also agree regarding the 3.0 to 3.2 swap. Not much performance benefit there but I was hoping that with the LA3 GM had addressed the problems with the L81. If the unfortunate was to happen and a 3.0 engine was ruined by a cam-belt failiure swapping it with a 3.2 might possibly be an option. Cadillac used it in the CTS from 2002-2004 and I've seen some on eBay. I don't know enough to say but couldn't the systems off the 3.0 be transfered to the 3.2 longblock or the 3.2's ECU follow the 3.2 engine?

Ideally I'd love to slip a 5.7 V8 into my Catera but I couldn't begin to imagine the nightmare trying to meld that engine with the ECU would be. Opel did but GM must have cancelled the project.
http://www.senatorman.de/bilder/omega_B_V8_05.jpg
Holden uses the LS1 but those Commodores are so removed from the standard Omega that I doubt that sourcing parts from there is the solution.

These are only musings. The L81 is a good engine and I plan to take care of it. I just like to daydream a lot.

Again, thanks for the welcomes.

Elvin

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2007, 16:26:55 »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the advice.

That Irmscher airdam is tempting especially with the foglights and bracket thrown in but it really is more DTM than I prefer. I'm looking for something that will actually reduce the airflow under the car. With those huge openings I don't see how it can accomplish that. I'm more of a "function over form" type of guy. Irmscher and Steinmetz both have front spoilers without all the scoops. They attach to the existing front valance. Besides, the car already has foglights.

I agree about the engine. Any motor will perform better and last longer if maintained properly. America is, for the most part, the land of the pushrod valve. Many ignore the regular maintanance chores. Basic stuff like frequent oil and filter changes. Some never learn and treat these new engines with the same disregard as before, then have the nerve to complain when they fail. Old dogs/New tricks.

The problem with the Catera is that in the US they've been out of production for 6 years and we're buying them not knowing their service histories, playing catch-up to bring them back to proper form. Cadillac treats it like an illegitimate child barely acknowledging it. Their dealerships have either lost the Catera trained techs or they've gotten rusty so odds of your car getting proper attention from a Catera Certified Tech are long. Then there's just plain goofy engineering. Opel could have helped matters by packaging the components differently so the HBV doesn't take the DIS with it when it leaks, or designing the valve covers so they would blow off excess pressure and not leak, or fixing the cambelt tensioner once and for all. The engine has been around long enough for these changes to have been made, but noooooo.................

I also agree regarding the 3.0 to 3.2 swap. Not much performance benefit there but I was hoping that with the LA3 GM had addressed the problems with the L81. If the unfortunate was to happen and a 3.0 engine was ruined by a cam-belt failiure swapping it with a 3.2 might possibly be an option. Cadillac used it in the CTS from 2002-2004 and I've seen some on eBay. I don't know enough to say but couldn't the systems off the 3.0 be transfered to the 3.2 longblock or the 3.2's ECU follow the 3.2 engine?

Ideally I'd love to slip a 5.7 V8 into my Catera but I couldn't begin to imagine the nightmare trying to meld that engine with the ECU would be. Opel did but GM must have cancelled the project.
http://www.senatorman.de/bilder/omega_B_V8_05.jpg
Holden uses the LS1 but those Commodores are so removed from the standard Omega that I doubt that sourcing parts from there is the solution.

These are only musings. The L81 is a good engine and I plan to take care of it. I just like to daydream a lot.

Again, thanks for the welcomes.

Elvin

In case you have'nt already found it, check this site out may be of interest to you elvin:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2007, 22:30:21 »

In case you have'nt already found it, check this site out may be of interest to you elvin:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/
Thanks for the tip but I'm already a member. I also joined this group:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/

And this group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/omega_owners/

Knowledge is power!!

Elvin

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2007, 18:18:37 »

Hi & welcome :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2007, 21:51:19 »

Hello  :) and welcome to the forum  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2007, 11:51:54 »

Just a short note. No need to reply. I have pictures of my Catera in the Gallery, along with one of my motorcycle, if anyone is curious.

Elvin

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 January 2007, 13:56:15 »

Welcome to the site Elvin  :y

I always enjoy reading about the differences between the US and UK versions of the Omega/Catera. I especially like the garage door opener in the rear view mirror  8-)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.