Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosions in air box??!!  (Read 1481 times)

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
Explosions in air box??!!
« on: 09 April 2009, 16:08:16 »

what can cause explosion, when i tap the gas pedal few times there the explosion in airbox happen's

any cure, got no fault codes stored

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
Re: Explosions in air box??!!
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2009, 20:04:50 »

The only time I have seen this happening was on an engine with a carb and it was due to the timing being out and getting detonation when the inlet valve was lightly open, reset the timing and all was well.

Probably totally wrong but good luck.

Steve

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2009, 20:26:55 »

if you can root it to your tailpipe you can be a boy racer :y

sorry i know this does not help i was just trying to look more on a positive note.
I hope you sort it out but i do think the post by stevief may have somthing there?Maybe
good luck :y

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2009, 20:54:29 »

Just a thought if it is timing related worth checking that the cam belt is not stretching, when was it last changed.

S

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2009, 20:55:02 »

Have you had any work done on the engine recently?

I'm thinking along the lines of a cam-belt change (incorrectly-set camshaft timing) or something obvious like water around a spark plug/HT leads ........
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2009, 21:08:35 »

Only time ive see this was on a 1.8 Vectra I bought... It suffered a broken water pump, and thus slipped timming and bent a few valves.

I put another spare pump on it to test it. When it eventually started back up, it was like a firework display poping out of the inlet!  ;D That car was then sent to the scrapyard  ;D

Check the valve timming and that the HT leads are on the correct way.
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2009, 22:00:06 »

may be the HT leads, i bought car and owner sad that belt was changed. car has 135000 km. explosion never happens on normal driving and when i tap the pedal when on hi rev, only if the rev's are smal and few tap's make explosion. car drives normal. no missfire on the road. can this be connected to bad response when cold. when starting the car (cold start, 1. start in day) and starting to drive (most time's this is backing away from my yard) car feel's strange, there is no smooth response, but it goes away instantly when i'm starting to go away (clutch relised, 1 gear, than 2. and all is ok)

i'm confused with this

:-/

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2009, 22:03:07 »

may be the HT leads, i bought car and owner sad that belt was changed. car has 135000 km. explosion never happens on normal driving and when i tap the pedal when on hi rev, only if the rev's are smal and few tap's make explosion. car drives normal. no missfire on the road. can this be connected to bad response when cold. when starting the car (cold start, 1. start in day) and starting to drive (most time's this is backing away from my yard) car feel's strange, there is no smooth response, but it goes away instantly when i'm starting to go away (clutch relised, 1 gear, than 2. and all is ok)

i'm confused with this

:-/

if i remember correctly when i was doing tech2 check at mehanic he sad that my mixture was not ok (i don't know if that answer was by tech2 or by his opinion)

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2009, 22:17:00 »

I suspect you may have a leaking inlet valve, you will need to do a compression test.
You may have a leaking injector but i would have expected a fault code if that was the problem.

Try cleaning the plenum and the breathers and then change the oil and filter.  

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2009, 22:21:22 »

cleaning was done recently

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2009, 22:31:09 »

Ah but was was all the solid dryed oil removed.
I know to my own expence that chemical cleaning dislodges the crap but doesnt remove it, as its a solid then it can be drawn into the engine.

Dont fear, give the car a good run at mixed speed with full throtle runs and it may well clear.
Remember if there aint a code its not electrical so its mechanical.
But just check the valve timing first.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2009, 22:33:38 »

A lean mixture can cause backfiring. Any codes stored?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2009, 12:34:03 »

A lean mixture can cause backfiring. Any codes stored?

Kevin

no codes

how can i check mixture and how the mixture can be adjusted

glsboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2009, 09:53:43 »

just to let all know...this happenet to a mate of mine on his saab 2.0 16v 93. very similar to the c20xe i believe... his airbox did explode...into bout 6 pieces and was told fuel found its way up into the airbox due to it running rich and not burning it all...and then got a backfire into the airbox...hence the explosion...be careful mate...very dangerous!!!

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2009, 10:46:43 »

just to let all know...this happenet to a mate of mine on his saab 2.0 16v 93. very similar to the c20xe i believe... his airbox did explode...into bout 6 pieces and was told fuel found its way up into the airbox due to it running rich and not burning it all...and then got a backfire into the airbox...hence the explosion...be careful mate...very dangerous!!!

I know that Pug 406's had this problem. When they were brand new, they were started and driven a very small distance onto a car transporter, then they get taken off the back of the car transporter, then they get driven off the transporter to the dealers yard, then the dealer moves it to be washed, then they move it to the forecourt etc.... All these tiny starts running rich caused fuel to leak into the inlet manifold. The inlets on 406's are plastic, and thus when they backfired (which I am told was often when they were taken out on test drives), the inlet manifold was left with a massive hole in it, and the car is then left undrivable  :o
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.