Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with some tracking info please?  (Read 1192 times)

car-nut

• Intermediate Member
  • Kent Border, East Sussex
  • Me & My Motors are Truly 1 off's
    • Custom Mondeo TDCi Estate
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with some tracking info please?
« on: 27 July 2011, 16:42:44 »

Today I decided after getting more bad news from my doctors about my health that I wanted to get something done with the Omega. And as a mate of mine helped me replace the track rod end that I should go and get the tracking checked. Front and Rear was done.

Front is out by 1.5mm
Rear is out by 2mm

This was checked at ATS who even though they offer a free tracking service they are very reluctant to give that service out. However when they told me how much they wanted I thought at first it was ok.

£36.

Then the guy pointed out that it would actually be £36 per axle!  :o :o :o

Then he turned round and said that a NEW Pirelli Tyre on my car was PERISHED and KNACKERED  :o :o :o

So with this knowledge I went back to the company that fitted the tyre who checked it and assured me there is nothing wrong with the tyre and to give me more peace of mind I went to my regular garage who said the tyre was fine.

So I am not going back to ATS EVER AGAIN, they are in my opinion nearly as bad as Kwik Fit, also they said my backbox needs replacing, That backbox is also new, So I think the mechanic needs to go back to college and re train.

But to get directly to the point, I am near Hastings on the south coast and wondered if anyone knows a good and cheap place to do tracking please?

ATS quoted me nearly £200 for tracking and a tyre!
Me & My Motors are Truly 1 off's

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with some tracking info please?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2011, 16:45:42 »

I've never known anyone pay more than £40 for 4 wheel alignment.

Seems everyone is having bad experiences with these franchise folks. (ATS Kwikfit) there was something on Watchdog not so long ago. Poor sales forcing them to con people.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2011, 16:49:04 »

Don't bother wasting your money on tracking... You need a proper full geometry and alignment done as offered by Wheels in Motion. They may have a franchise nearer to you. Yes, it's £95+VAT, but it will totally transform the way your car drives :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2011, 16:54:34 »

Tracking is pointless. As is full geo using manufacturers specs. Wim and others have the required data
Grumpy old man

car-nut

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2011, 00:01:13 »

Don't bother wasting your money on tracking... You need a proper full geometry and alignment done as offered by Wheels in Motion. They may have a franchise nearer to you. Yes, it's £95+VAT, but it will totally transform the way your car drives :y :y

I have decided my Omega is here to stay so after I have dealt with my gearbox issue I will save up and get the geo and tracking all re-set.

I am thoroughly dissapointed in yet another franchise failure. I would also like to point out when I had my tramlining problem, it was ATS that said it was my steering idler when in fact it was the track rod end. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Hastings is full of dodgy garages!!!

Thanks for all your help and info.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2011, 00:57:47 »

You can find your local "Wheels in Motion" tyre fitting and geometry centre here

http://www.blackboots.co.uk/tyre-fitting-centres.php
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2011, 07:34:13 »

I tend to use National Tyre Service for my needs cos I am too far away fro WIM. I have never had anything but great service from them and always accurate truthful advice. It cost me £30.00 for the wheel alignment to be done and that was both axles and sides. That is true value for money in my book.
I tried many, many others and found them all to be wanting before I finally settled on them too. BUT, if they let me down I will not go back to them either and I made it a point of telling them that. ::)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

tony2

• peterlee north east
    • 2.6 cdx auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2011, 08:25:20 »

hi car-nut i travelled 130 miles to get my omega tracking done by a wimms/blackboot franchis best £110 spent car drive straight as a dye even at 80 mph let go of steering wheel (not recommended) car still never wandered, better to pay more and have it done correct  :y

car-nut

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2011, 01:46:44 »

I tend to use National Tyre Service for my needs cos I am too far away fro WIM. I have never had anything but great service from them and always accurate truthful advice. It cost me £30.00 for the wheel alignment to be done and that was both axles and sides. That is true value for money in my book.
I tried many, many others and found them all to be wanting before I finally settled on them too. BUT, if they let me down I will not go back to them either and I made it a point of telling them that. ::)

Thanks, I looked that company up on google and as it happens there is one 13.5 miles from me and they got some offers on.

car-nut

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2011, 01:53:38 »

You can find your local "Wheels in Motion" tyre fitting and geometry centre here

Thanks, there is a blackboots not too far from me. They are quoting £114 to do tracking and geometry.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2011, 08:01:04 »

Thanks, there is a blackboots not too far from me. They are quoting £114 to do tracking and geometry.
It's worth every penny ;)

It's a 300 odd mile round trip for me and always worth it :y Drive home in a different car!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2011, 09:41:40 »

Tracking and 4 wheel alignment is a wate of money on the Omega, as it doesn't deal with the common fundamental issues that affect these cars as they age.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.