Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing NCDC2015 + CID & Telematics  (Read 2911 times)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
Installing NCDC2015 + CID & Telematics
« on: 19 June 2011, 23:12:26 »

Evening all!

My Omega currently has a NCDC2013 HU with GPS and GID.  I'm about to swap this over for a NCDC2015 with CID & Telematics.  Just a few questions....

1. Do I need to put anything into delivery mode prior to removing the parts, or is that not necessary as I am changing the whole system?
2. Do I have to install any additional looms (for telematics, CID, microphone, etc)?
3. Where is the telematics microphone (on the HU or up on the interior light)?
4. Which mobile networks does the telematics work on?

While I'm at it, I believe that the right-angled gps connector on the cage of the car the 2015 system is coming out of has been damaged...

1. Is the OOf recommended fix for this still to adapt the cage and fit an aftermarket gps antenna? Or has anyone come up with another solution?
2. Is there a method of ensuring this connector doesn't get broken when sliding the HU home?

I think that's enough questions for now...

TIA  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

feeutfo

Re: Installing NCDC2015 + CID & Telematics
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2011, 00:17:08 »

1 if it's all paired and original from the previous car, no! It's already done.
2 yes, there is no loom for telemstics in a 2013 car
3 You'll have to fit one in interior light.
4 02 or voda only... Not sure if one of their affiliates will? Guessing not.

Pass on the last 2.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2011, 00:18:45 by chrisgixer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2011, 08:33:08 »

1) No - as long as all parts remain together.
2) Yes - easiest to modify an Traffic Master loom rather than butcher the car loom. Some bits can be got from the phone prewiring, but not all.
3) Conference Mic is its full name, sits in interior light.
4) Any 900Mhz GSM - thats O2 and Voda, plus the networks that run on these, such as Tesco Mobile, and my own personal favourite, GiffGaff (which is what I use in my Telematics). If going for the latter, if you sign up using my referral link, you get an extra £5 credit with your first £10 top-up.  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/theboy

GPS connector.
1) Never found the correct plug that can clip in to cage. When I retrofit NCDC, I use a cheap receiver with the (electrically) correct plug, which I plug in to back of HU before pushing HU back in place, at same time gentley pulling the slack from the cable via one of the footwells.  I can dig out the egay auction for them if thats a route you want to go down.
2) Original connector? Ensure cage isn't distorted, that the connector firmly clips in place.
Grumpy old man

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2011, 10:06:40 »

Cheers Chris and TB for you usual speedy responses!  :y

I'm actually buying the complete car with the 2015 system in so, parts wise, I should have everything I need.

is the telematics loom a separate plug-in loom that just runs from the telematics unit to the HU, or is it actually part of the main wiring harness (in which case I assume it's best to swap over the entire harness, if possible)???

I'm sure it will become clearer once I have the cars together and start taking the apart, but it's nice to have an idea what I'll be facing!   :-/
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2011, 10:08:53 »

2) Yes - easiest to modify an Traffic Master loom rather than butcher the car loom. Some bits can be got from the phone prewiring, but not all.
4) Any 900Mhz GSM - thats O2 and Voda, plus the networks that run on these, such as Tesco Mobile, and my own personal favourite, GiffGaff (which is what I use in my Telematics). If going for the latter, if you sign up using my referral link, you get an extra £5 credit with your first £10 top-up.  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/theboy

GPS connector.
1) Never found the correct plug that can clip in to cage. When I retrofit NCDC, I use a cheap receiver with the (electrically) correct plug, which I plug in to back of HU before pushing HU back in place, at same time gentley pulling the slack from the cable via one of the footwells.  I can dig out the egay auction for them if thats a route you want to go down.2) Original connector? Ensure cage isn't distorted, that the connector firmly clips in place.

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMB-Male-GPS-Antenna-Active-Amplifier-2M-Cable-/230526593445?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item35ac74a9a5

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2011, 12:23:44 »

I'm actually buying the complete car with the 2015 system in so, parts wise, I should have everything I need.

is the telematics loom a separate plug-in loom that just runs from the telematics unit to the HU, or is it actually part of the main wiring harness (in which case I assume it's best to swap over the entire harness, if possible)???

I'm sure it will become clearer once I have the cars together and start taking the apart, but it's nice to have an idea what I'll be facing!   :-/
Its a different dash loom, you stand precise no chance of unpicking that ;D

But, if you're breaking the car, which I suspect you are if its the one I think it is, you'll have plenty of scope to get the required plugs and have access to plenty of bits of wire.  See Lazydockers thread about telematics, as it shows how to fit in via TrafficMaster loom
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2011, 12:24:58 »

GPS connector.
1) Never found the correct plug that can clip in to cage. When I retrofit NCDC, I use a cheap receiver with the (electrically) correct plug, which I plug in to back of HU before pushing HU back in place, at same time gentley pulling the slack from the cable via one of the footwells.  I can dig out the egay auction for them if thats a route you want to go down.2) Original connector? Ensure cage isn't distorted, that the connector firmly clips in place.

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMB-Male-GPS-Antenna-Active-Amplifier-2M-Cable-/230526593445?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item35ac74a9a5
Thats the very one, from the same company (assuming its SMB Male - I always get confused between NCDC and CARiN, one is male, other is female) :y
Grumpy old man

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2011, 12:53:37 »

Its a different dash loom, you stand precise no chance of unpicking that ;D

But, if you're breaking the car, which I suspect you are if its the one I think it is, you'll have plenty of scope to get the required plugs and have access to plenty of bits of wire.  See Lazydockers thread about telematics, as it shows how to fit in via TrafficMaster loom

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but can you explain a bit more please?

Yes I do plan to break the car (and I'm sure it is the one you think it is).  I've been reading LD's thread, but from what I can tell he already has telematics as standard.  It's quite a long thread now, so maybe I'm missing the important bit that's relevant.  As far as I know, neither car has TrafficMaster installed, but I assume from what you're saying is the TM loom will be there anyway?

Confused.com...  :-/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2011, 13:15:03 »

Yes I do plan to break the car (and I'm sure it is the one you think it is).  I've been reading LD's thread, but from what I can tell he already has telematics as standard.  It's quite a long thread now, so maybe I'm missing the important bit that's relevant.  As far as I know, neither car has TrafficMaster installed, but I assume from what you're saying is the TM loom will be there anyway?

You won't have the TM loom already, you need to get one. What he's saying is that the TM Loom is the best place to make connections required as then you minimise the damage to the car loom and also you can do it on the bench ;) :y

I might have to come up and look at this breaker... There's a few annoying little plastic clips I need ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2011, 13:18:55 »

...........and if you need a TM loom ::)http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1308163185
 :)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2011, 13:23:56 »

...........and if you need a TM loom ::)http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1308163185

Rob, can you hold that for me please? I'll be able to confirm that I need it very soon.  :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2011, 13:25:45 »

You won't have the TM loom already, you need to get one. What he's saying is that the TM Loom is the best place to make connections required as then you minimise the damage to the car loom and also you can do it on the bench ;) :y

I might have to come up and look at this breaker... There's a few annoying little plastic clips I need ::) ::)

I'll give you a shout when it arrives then...  ;)  But only if you help me install my telematics...  :y

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 20 June 2011, 13:36:10 »

But he has to come to me first for some other clips and bitz (and help me install "My Naff Code Reader" software and have a look at my Bose unit.) :P :D ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 June 2011, 13:42:56 »

Rob, can you hold that for me please? I'll be able to confirm that I need it very soon.  :y
Consider it done :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 June 2011, 13:43:17 »

But he has to come to me first for some other clips and bitz (and help me install "My Naff Code Reader" software and have a look at my Bose unit.) :P :D ;D

I shall form an orderly queue then!  :P

Must be nice to be so popular, hey Paul!  ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2011, 13:45:08 »

I shall form an orderly queue then!  :P

Must be nice to be so popular, hey Paul!  ;)
Paul`s a decent chap, it`s just that Albs is a tad stupid `cause his "brain hurts" ;D ;D ;D

albitz

« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2011, 14:01:38 »

You can fack orft - geekfreek. :P ;D ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2011, 14:05:47 »

You can fack orft - geekfreek. :P ;D ;D
Get on your horse & cart and start selling your old tat :P

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2011, 14:19:08 »

Now now children, play nicely!  ;D :y

VR4Dave

• Intermediate Member
  • Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2011, 15:47:10 »

Evening all!

My Omega currently has a NCDC2013 HU with GPS and GID.  I'm about to swap this over for a NCDC2015 with CID & Telematics.  Just a few questions....

1. Do I need to put anything into delivery mode prior to removing the parts, or is that not necessary as I am changing the whole system?
2. Do I have to install any additional looms (for telematics, CID, microphone, etc)?
3. Where is the telematics microphone (on the HU or up on the interior light)?
4. Which mobile networks does the telematics work on?

While I'm at it, I believe that the right-angled gps connector on the cage of the car the 2015 system is coming out of has been damaged...

1. Is the OOf recommended fix for this still to adapt the cage and fit an aftermarket gps antenna? Or has anyone come up with another solution?
2. Is there a method of ensuring this connector doesn't get broken when sliding the HU home?

I think that's enough questions for now...

TIA  :y

Some people have fists of ham  :-[

dpanic88

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 June 2011, 13:05:56 »

I fitted an an aftermarket gps antenna?, then ran this up to the window on the pass' side, worked very well.

Car is now broken (gone to the car park in the sky), but I removed all the bits - NCDC2015+CID and aftermarket gps - you can push the unit home and feed the cable slowly - watch your hands, as they can get sliced putting the cable in at first. :y

if you need any bits just send us pm, as need to shift em. (got no loom or tele bits - just re-wired to make fit my cd estate)

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 June 2011, 18:49:51 »

I need a NCDC2015 for a moment now...  ::)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2011, 11:25:05 »

Ok, I'm making progress installing this into my car.  I have fitted the CID and the 2015, primarily to test the functionality of the GPS, which all seems to be working as it should!! I have however discovered that the 2015 unit I am installing is not Bose enabled, so its a tad on the loud side!!  :o

Is anyone going to Billing with a TechII by chance, or likely to be in the Suffolk area anytime soon?  :y

I'm getting stuck into building up my telematics/TM sub-loom, whcih I think I have got my head around! The only thing I need now is to remove the section of coax aerial that runs from the telematics unit to the drivers kick panel.  This look to be sewn into the main loom!!  :o

Has anyone had to remove this cable? If so, is it best to completely remove the dashboard to gain access? Which route does it take from behind the glovebox to the drivers kick panel?

Also, what is the best route for the TM loom and coax lead when I come to run them in my car?

TIA, Twiggy!  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 June 2011, 18:13:59 »

I'm about 30m the wrong side of Billing.

Telematics loom - obvious, straight out.

Aerial, runs in the main bulk of wire from behind stereo, by steering column, down into kickpanel. Unpick, but it will be a pig.

I'd rerun the same way
Grumpy old man

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 June 2011, 23:04:03 »

Aerial, runs in the main bulk of wire from behind stereo, by steering column, down into kickpanel. Unpick, but it will be a pig.

I'd rerun the same way

Thanks Jaime.  :y

I take it you're not planning on going to the show then? If not, I'm wondering if you could spare me a few minutes at some point over the weekend?  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 June 2011, 19:26:04 »

I'd rerun the same way

I take it you're not planning on going to the show then? If not, I'm wondering if you could spare me a few minutes at some point over the weekend?  :-/
I have no spare time to make Billing, too much to do before the Lakes  :'(

If I'm in, I can do that, but will need to know approx time first to ensure I can be in
Grumpy old man

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 June 2011, 09:07:58 »

I'd rerun the same way

I have no spare time to make Billing, too much to do before the Lakes  :'(

If I'm in, I can do that, but will need to know approx time first to ensure I can be in

PM Sent  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.