Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Road tax depressing...  (Read 2324 times)

keithnic

• Dunbar
    • View Profile
Re: Road tax depressing...
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2008, 19:41:01 »

Kevin makes a good point re some families cutting back on their smaller economical cars and just running one large family car.  They're putting up road tax, but with no reduction on petrol duty or any other motoring levy. Its totally shaft the motorist again!
We have three young children and a dog and the Omega is ideal.  We also have a Mini for running around locally and we can't sell the Mini, they are soooo much fun.
I was thinking about getting a pre 2001 model, but as another poster said no doubt this loophole will be closed.  Realistically I was thinking about getting a Vectra estate, they don't look too much smaller than the Omega.  Anyone any experience of Vectras?  Might get one thats 2-3 years old and put LPG on it.  Best model/engine to go for?

miggy

« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2008, 19:48:37 »

Kevin makes a good point re some families cutting back on their smaller economical cars and just running one large family car.  They're putting up road tax, but with no reduction on petrol duty or any other motoring levy. Its totally shaft the motorist again!
We have three young children and a dog and the Omega is ideal.  We also have a Mini for running around locally and we can't sell the Mini, they are soooo much fun.
I was thinking about getting a pre 2001 model, but as another poster said no doubt this loophole will be closed.  Realistically I was thinking about getting a Vectra estate, they don't look too much smaller than the Omega.  Anyone any experience of Vectras?  Might get one thats 2-3 years old and put LPG on it.  Best model/engine to go for?

Well i can tell you one thing this goverment will not put me off the road in our miggys, i know some families are not in the same position,

I will drive what i want, when i want and break the goverment, i love this country to bits, i served for her, but I am now thinking of moving on, not because of the country, but because of the idiots running it and allowing things to go out of hand. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

robby30

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2008, 19:51:47 »

my experence of the vectra is that its not as well built as the omega and the only ones worth having are the diesels  (not the 3 litre) the 2.8v6 turbo and the 3.2 petrol are more thirsty than an omega. not much room in the back if the driver is tall. they spend alot of time in the garage being repairedand the 3 litre diesel is very slow and not very economical
buy an older omega  :y

zippo

• Omega Baron
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2008, 19:52:47 »

Road tax isn't the only thing depressing about the UK.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2008, 20:01:10 »

Well im still confused by the dvla website.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

It clearly says at the top of the table for cars registered after 1st March 2001......but.....

Band G says for cars registered on or after 23 March 2006......

So how I read that is......no Omega will pay more than £210  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2008, 20:05:48 »

Personally I wouldnt convert a Vectra to lpg........buy a vx dual fuel one instead.

You can pick up a 1.8 Dual Fuel VeccyC .... 3 years old for around 4k at auctions......I know  ;)

miggy

« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2008, 20:06:36 »

Well im still confused by the dvla website.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

It clearly says at the top of the table for cars registered after 1st March 2001......but.....

Band G says for cars registered on or after 23 March 2006......

So how I read that is......no Omega will pay more than £210  :-/

Thats the way i read it.cannot seem to find out.gonna ring DVLA on Monday.

miggy

« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2008, 20:12:30 »

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022118

Read this..........tax class, what do you read it as saying??????

keithnic

• Dunbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2008, 20:14:03 »

Thats the road tax levels that apply at the moment, but they're going to add another five levels beyond "G" so H, I, J , K and L I guess.  The 3.2 Omegas are a hefty 284 co2 rating so from March 2009 those cars registered after March 2001 will be taxed at £440 a year.  
You can check which tax applies to your car here http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=20786

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2008, 20:18:47 »

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022118

the same as the table........ie you only pay the band G if your car is 2006

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2008, 20:26:20 »

Road tax isn't the only thing depressing about the UK.

You're damned right there. Another of my hobbies that is in danger of being legislated out of existence is gliding. All to make way for the relentless expansion of our airports and commercial air travel.

If it's not good for the environment to run an Omega why doesn't the same apply to a fleet of airliners?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 March 2008, 20:35:00 »

the same as the table........ie you only pay the band G if your car is 2006

Additional tax bands only used to apply for new cars, and band G was brought in in 2006, so only applied to cars registered after the new band was added.

Next year the whole system gets ripped up and replaced with new bands, and they will apply to all cars post March 2001. Hence it will apply retrospectively.

This means a doubling (give or take) in road tax for all post 2001 petrol Omegas.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 16 March 2008, 20:37:50 »

Thats the road tax levels that apply at the moment, but they're going to add another five levels beyond "G" so H, I, J , K and L I guess.  The 3.2 Omegas are a hefty 284 co2 rating so from March 2009 those cars registered after March 2001 will be taxed at £440 a year.  
You can check which tax applies to your car here http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=20786

I have......and think parkers have got it wrong........

It says on the link i posted (dvla website) ....i quote

"The rates shown apply to tax discs taken out from 13 March 2008"

Parkers site also says i quote

"Rates effective from 13 March 2008"

So who's correct .......id tend to believe the dvla site more than parkers  :-/

You are correct with the info for 2009.......but Parkers says from 13th March 2008

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2008, 20:43:25 »

Anyway mine would be £415 for my 2.2 from 2009........and i aint paying that.....once ive fixed a couple of niggles...it will be sold....end off!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 March 2008, 20:45:05 »

Parkers looks right (and same as DLVA) to me. They are listing the 2008, 2009 and 2010 rates.

Tried a few makes and models and anything you don't practically have to peddle yourself doubles in road tax in 2009.

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.