Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tyre advice? With emphasis on wet grip pleeeease...........  (Read 4343 times)

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile

so...........decided not to sell the old girl - just cant part with her.......

but..........been driving with Autogrips which grip about as well in the wet as a metal tray on ice  >:(

Got caught out simply by the camber of a roundabout the other day in wet weather (and I am careful) which made the end swing out narrowly missing a lamp-post so I need to get these death traps off the car asap ..... :'(

Ive typed tyres in the search but its all old posts - only gonna do the rears for now as I don't want to die any time soon

Researched tyres such as Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and Good year then checked reviews online and quite a lot of negative views on them despite 'A' ratings. im 46 and know when to drive enthusiastically and not - but even when no acceleration is applied, the weight of the barge is enough to send the bum out!

need some recommendations folks - wet grip a priority - only a 2.2 auto so not mad power going down. Failing that, some 2 x 2 slabs in the boot! :D :D :D :D :D :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Best tyre advice? With emphasis on wet grip pleeeease...........
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2015, 19:11:45 »

Autogrips will kill you, once more than a couple of thousand miles old.

Any premium tyre will have reasonable wet weather grip. Generally any budget tyre will be "exciting" in the wet.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2015, 20:41:20 »

I've got a new full set of new Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and they are fantastic.  A full 4 Wheel Geometry set up help by someone who knows their onions, or toe on, toe out, caster,camber and thrust angle  :y. Nigel langs Bolton it highly respected and recommended.

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2015, 09:53:12 »

I've got a new full set of new Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and they are fantastic.  A full 4 Wheel Geometry set up help by someone who knows their onions, or toe on, toe out, caster,camber and thrust angle  :y. Nigel langs Bolton it highly respected and recommended.

Cheers mate- had been looking at them as first choice - read some reviews from rwd owners who weren't that impressed but would rather take advice from an owner who has them on!! Im up in the wilderness in Fife so need to find a good garage to get the geo set up  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2015, 10:00:48 »

Cheers mate- had been looking at them as first choice - read some reviews from rwd owners who weren't that impressed but would rather take advice from an owner who has them on!! Im up in the wilderness in Fife so need to find a good garage to get the geo set up  :y
Might be worth having a word with your local Admin, Hotel21, to see if he knows of anywhere trustworthy to set up the geometry :y

Grumpy old man

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2015, 20:11:37 »

Might be worth having a word with your local Admin, Hotel21, to see if he knows of anywhere trustworthy to set up the geometry :y

Thanks mate - will do  :y

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2015, 20:29:04 »

Oh- should I get 'XL' or will standard ones do?

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2015, 07:38:51 »

Hi mate- did you go for the normal load or the XL version on the car?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2015, 07:40:20 »

Personal preference. I have always tended towards XL because I tow but am not so fussy now. It means there is a little less give in the sidewall.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

mka306

« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2015, 09:22:50 »

I always look at www.camskill.co.uk for low cost premium tyres.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2015, 09:28:06 »

Had an old, probably dry, hard spare on my Turbo Weasel, the rest were ok-ish vredsteins dunlops etc. Found on a tight right hand bend (as the weight shifted to that side/tyre) the tail would skip out in the wet. Add another 10 mph turning the opposite way before anything clise to that kind of tail-happy action.

Now running on Michelin HXs (yup, the spare wheels) with good results, I've tried some show-boating in the wet (and empty) roads and she's tracked straight and true, and I feel safe.

Will be keeping my eye out for some deals on Uniroyals, though, as the Michelins are really just my 'Billing' Wheels.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2015, 11:43:36 »

so...........decided not to sell the old girl - just cant part with her.......

but..........been driving with Autogrips which grip about as well in the wet as a metal tray on ice  >:(

Got caught out simply by the camber of a roundabout the other day in wet weather (and I am careful) which made the end swing out narrowly missing a lamp-post so I need to get these death traps off the car asap ..... :'(

Ive typed tyres in the search but its all old posts - only gonna do the rears for now as I don't want to die any time soon

Researched tyres such as Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and Good year then checked reviews online and quite a lot of negative views on them despite 'A' ratings. im 46 and know when to drive enthusiastically and not - but even when no acceleration is applied, the weight of the barge is enough to send the bum out!

need some recommendations folks - wet grip a priority - only a 2.2 auto so not mad power going down. Failing that, some 2 x 2 slabs in the boot! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hear good things about this tyre. :y

The only negative being that they wear excessively quickly. :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2015, 11:51:20 »

I believe the higher the number, 91.....94.....97 etc ..etc  means that the tyre can take a higher load/ more weight.

I'm guessing this means a 97Y would 'deform' less than a 91Y beneath the weight of the car.

I'm also guessing this would give better road holding because the tyre is less 'deformed'......but a harder ride.

However, I could, as usual, be talking boll*cks.

Personal preference. I have always tended towards XL because I tow but am not so fussy now. It means there is a little less give in the sidewall.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2015, 17:05:43 »

I,ve got Nexen N8000,s all round on my 2.2, so far no dramas and were a reasonable price. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.