Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Nasty 4 pot diesel" problem (project car)  (Read 4325 times)

05omegav6

Re: "Nasty 4 pot diesel" problem (project car)
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2014, 12:06:25 »

All the clutch kits online are "2 piece" meaning no thrust bearing? Any idea for this?

Also does anyone know if exhaust (cat) has to be removed on the Dti to get the gearbox off? :y
Vauxhall? Not changing it can, from experience, lead to failure resulting in catastrophic damage to (in no particular order)...

Slave cylinder
Pressure plate
Friction plate
Flywheel
Bellhousing

Three piece kit should include slave cylinder with release bearing attached, but both available separately from Vauxhall. Be daft not to change everything in the bellhousing if you're going to drop the box :y

I totaly disagree in this case, if it was a FWD then yes, totaly but, the rear wheel drive slave cylinder is bullet proof plus you can still replace the release bearing if required as it clips into the slave.

So the slave cylinder I would rate as optional only and definately not essential.
The previous owner of my first 3.2, Devon and Cornwall Police, replaced the clutch without renewing the release bearing. Net result was it shattering, this broke the slave casing, the pressure plate and punched the friction plate in to the flywheel hard enough to take chunks out of the face of it. The resulting debris also scoring the inside of the bellhousing. I was reversing into a parking space at the time, so all done at just above idle.

The issue is that two piece clutch kits require the, imho essential, release bearing to be acquired separately therefore allowing it to be overlooked, whereas the three piece kits include the release bearing as part of the slave.

Whoever fitted the previous clutch to Joshs' car clearly hadn't changed the release bearing, as it had more play in it than all of Shakespeares' work.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2014, 12:16:02 »

Thats not what I stated, I stated that the slave cylinder is optional and that the release bearing can be changed without changing the slave.  :y

All the '2 piece' (which appear to actualy be three piece) Luk and Borg n Beck clutch sets for the Omega I have seen and used came with the release bearing.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2014, 12:18:09 »

And quoting the Luk site:

Clutch discs, clutch assembly and clutch release bearings all play an essential part in professional repair work on a worn clutch. These components are included in the LuK RepSetŪ and guarantee safe function.

The LuK RepSetŪ Pro also contains a concentric slave cylinder, which now combines the slave cylinder and release bearing in one component in one in every two cars.

:y

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2014, 12:41:42 »

I was agreeing with you :y

Reading your quote from Luk, it seems they now include the release bearing in the standard clutch kit, which isn't something that they used to, ime :-\ First clutch in mine was an Luk one and had to buy the Repset Pro to get the release bearing as it 'was not available separately and not included in the two piece kit'... might be where the confusion is from :-\

The last time I changed it, I fitted a genuine NOS 3 piece kit and left the slave cylinder alone :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2014, 12:54:21 »

Interestingly, have we ever seen a slave cylinder fail on here?

I saw one many moons ago but it was not an original, it was a pattern item and not a recognised brand.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2014, 12:56:38 »

The one I referred to was only replaced as the catastrophic failure of the release bearing cracked it :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2014, 21:02:52 »

I would agree with clutch

When my 03 dti's pump started playing up it would either just die or no power and only rev to 3k.
Found it would cut out more when hot (turn off ignition count to 3 and restart).
Was also worse if fuel low.
Did you fix it? Was it the electronic part, or mechanical part of pump that failed?
Grumpy old man

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2014, 22:09:39 »

Apparently all the same, it's the same clutch used in the 2.6 / 3.2 and 3.0 and apparently 2.2 DTI.

My 3.2 estate had a gearbox from a DTI fitted, with the DTI clutch aswell. Seemingly it was exactly the same!
on 2.2 dti was fitted SAC clutch where you need special tool to fit correct other way your clutch will last 5K if you lucky

3.0 one its just standard clutch

EDIT:
that what you need for SAC clutches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5KeAQntGM
« Last Edit: 28 May 2014, 22:11:36 by serek »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2014, 23:47:32 »

I can't see the video out and about on my phone, are you able to describe what needs to be done differently with this clutch? I'd have thought if the components are the same the fitting would be also?

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2014, 00:58:56 »

Video reads like a sales pitch...

You need a 6" extension and a deep socket, large enough diameter to just fit through the friction plate to centre it 15mm springs to mind. Lock the crank with a suitable socket/breaker bar. Position the friction plate on the flywheel, then insert the socket/extension bar home. Pressure plate is then fitted to the dowels, the bolts inserted finger tight. Then tighten the bolts 720° at a time, in opposite fashion, same as you would wheel nuts. The pressure plate will clamp the pressure plate after three or four turns, but don't remove the 'alignment tool' until you're done. Once all the bolts are home, and the pressure plate is tight to the flywheel, torque them as per Haynes bearing in mind that the friction plate bolts to one side of the dmf, the crank to the other so there is some give on the flywheel as you slacken/tighten the pressure plate bolts. Locking the ring gear won't change this :y

When you offer the gearbox up make sure it's in gear so you can turn the input shaft from the prop end incase it doesn't slot straight in :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2014, 12:23:17 »

Cheers Al :y

I've done a couple of omega clutches just not a Dti, so essentially it's saying use an alignment tool ? :y

As an aside do you know if the cat/exhaust must come off the Dti to split the box? :)

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2014, 12:29:07 »

Can't help with the engine specific questions as only ever done 3.2 clutches, but I would assume yes, as the box has to come straight back to remove it, and typically down pipes foul the bell housing :-\

The key thing that Sereks tool emphasised was the need to tighten the bolts progressively and evenly. This keeps the self adjusting mechanism happy and prevents the friction plate from moving as the pressure plate clamps it down :y
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 12:31:33 by Taxi Al »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2014, 12:33:43 »

Yep, as per Al's statement, the self adjusting clutches have a built in compensator that can be triggered if the pressure plate is not pulled down to the flywheel evenly.

Many part turns of the pressure plate bolts works but is time consuming (and not 100% fool proof) and hence the tool.

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2014, 12:54:48 »

I'm not sure I would call five minutes time consuming, after all it's only six bolts :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2014, 17:24:16 »

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But is it only the Dti that has a self adjusting pressure plate? (And hence needs the tool)

I thought earlier it was stated the parts are the same across all models inc v6? So why don't they need a tool to pull it evenly into the flywheel? :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.