Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD Auto viscous fan issues...  (Read 1861 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
2.5 TD Auto viscous fan issues...
« on: 20 June 2016, 20:07:30 »

The viscous engine cooling fan on my shed of a 2.5 TD CDX appears to be a bit over keen as once it cuts in, it stays on all the time. Temp gauge shows at between 90 and 95 normal running. I had a 2.5 TD manual a few years ago, I don't ever remember the viscous fan coming on at all, which makes me think that the one on my current one is faulty. What sort of temperature should it be cutting in at?

In the various Senators and Carltons I've had in the past, I've usually just removed the viscous fan altogether snd replaced with an electric one. This car has twin fans on it, which i presume are for the air-con? I'm wondering if these can be used to cool the engine as well? Failing that, I'll replace the viscous unit, if anyone knows of a source for a working replacement? One thing is for certain, the constant whooshing noise from the viscous fan is doing my head in, and can't be doing my fuel consumption much good either!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 TD Auto viscous fan issues...
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2016, 21:05:04 »

Bin the viscous. Not needed in UK, even if towing. If yours needs it, you have other cooling issues.
Grumpy old man

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2016, 21:32:05 »

Bin the viscous. Not needed in UK, even if towing. If yours needs it, you have other cooling issues.
I take it the electric fans will cut in if it gets too hot then? If that's the case then I'll remove it. Is it a left hand thread on the securing bolt?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2016, 22:37:50 »

Yes, and as TB said, the fan is not needed PROVIDED that the cooling system is in good order. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2016, 23:35:46 »

If you're worried about it, a new viscous fan coupling will be readily available from any motor factors in the country.
It's a common wear part on a common engine, and a quick Google shows them at under 40quid. Which is about what I paid for one for a similar petrol BMW engine, and may even be the same part.

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2016, 06:09:39 »

Yes, and as TB said, the fan is not needed PROVIDED that the cooling system is in good order. :y
Well it doesn't appear to be showing any signs of anything being amiss. Temp gauge sits between 1/3 and 1/2, it's isn't leaking or using coolant etc. As it's a fairly eas job to remove, I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens....

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2016, 12:56:53 »

If you're worried about it, a new viscous fan coupling will be readily available from any motor factors in the country.
It's a common wear part on a common engine, and a quick Google shows them at under 40quid. Which is about what I paid for one for a similar petrol BMW engine, and may even be the same part.
  I seem to remember the td viscous fan was taken off the 2.5td I had, also am I right in saying viscous fans should always be stored in an upright position, cannot remember why but I seem to remember being told if one was handed to me in a prone position not to accept it.

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2016, 14:04:05 »

Well I've not long had the car, neither have I done that many miles with it so far.  The viscous is off when you start the car, and stays off till the temp gauge reaches 90 degrees, then it cuts in.  To me that seems a little to early, unless I'm wrong in thinking that 90 degrees is too low a temperature for a viscous to start locking up?  Once it has locked up, it stays locked up.  The temp gauge never goes above 95, and that's only after sitting in traffic, normal driving is usually just above 90 when on the move.  Should my engine be running cooler than this? 

The only thing I remember about my old TD, which I admit I didn't have for long, was that the faster you drove it, the hotter it got.  But I never remember hearing the viscous locking up on that one, probably why it got hot! 

What is the "normal" running temp for the 2.5 TD?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2016, 16:26:35 »

Unless I'm being foolish (again!), I think you have answered your own question. If Sid Vicious cuts in at 90 degrees and the car operates thereafter at up to 95 but anyway over 90, the fan will never cut out because it's seeing a temperature higher that ITS cut-in temperature, which I think you are correct in surmising is too low. The fault therefore is with Sid Vicious!

Ron.

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2016, 17:54:42 »

Unless I'm being foolish (again!), I think you have answered your own question. If Sid Vicious cuts in at 90 degrees and the car operates thereafter at up to 95 but anyway over 90, the fan will never cut out because it's seeing a temperature higher that ITS cut-in temperature, which I think you are correct in surmising is too low. The fault therefore is with Sid Vicious!

Ron.
Makes perfect logical sense to me.  I haven't got round to removing it yet, going to wait till I've got a few other bits so I can have a day on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.