Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5Td cutting out with management light??  (Read 1971 times)

Cptsideways

• N Dorset
    • View Profile
2.5Td cutting out with management light??
« on: 24 January 2007, 18:23:34 »

Hi there, newbie here as I've just bought one, having owned a few in the past & me needing a tow car.

Have an issue with it cutting out though, its a 95 Manual 230k. It cuts out at idle/low speed & the management light flashes comes on as you decelerate, also does it when stationary as it's just started up. There is a relay that buzzes in time with the MIL light flashing so I assume thats the cause?? The MIL goes out though it does'nt stay on & the guys at the garage says there are no fault codes logged.

It also seems to be suffering fuel starvation & does'nt go very well. I've checked the Turbo & actuator thats all fine.

The two seemed to be linked, so I'm guessing fuel pump, blocked filter or fuel pressure reg etc. Any ideas or experiences guys?

Thanks for any help in advance
Omega TD Tow bus

wombatcurry

• View Profile
Re: 2.5Td cutting out with management light??
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2007, 18:51:09 »

My TD has an intermittent EML - it started about 5 years ago(!) - had it checked by an Opel dealer and they came up with no errors/problems. I later found that it is due to a bad contact in the plastic connector (BMW made!) located near/behind the EGR valve on the LHS of the car (looking forward). This connector is quite difficult to see, it is the main loom to/from the engine - once you find it give it a tug whilst someone else watches the EML - if the EML goes out with in sequence with the movements, you've found your culprit! (mine tends to come on on deceleration - I think that the torque reaction of the engine is making it move slightly on its mounts & that puts a little strain on the connector). If it is this, don't panic, I have run mine for approx 200k km like this with no problems - the only noticeable thing is that occasionally on idle the engine doesn't feel 100% smooth.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2007, 20:13:35 »

My Money would be on the glow plug relay buddy!!!! change it and should stop the eml light flashing when you start up after that let us know how it runs!!
there is a fix for the cutting out bit if your brave ennough but your relay may just be the culprit here!!
Omegatoy

Cptsideways

• N Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2007, 22:28:53 »

My Money would be on the glow plug relay buddy!!!! change it and should stop the eml light flashing when you start up after that let us know how it runs!!
there is a fix for the cutting out bit if your brave ennough but your relay may just be the culprit here!!
Omegatoy

Whats the fix if its not the relay [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Omega TD Tow bus

Cptsideways

• N Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2007, 23:18:37 »

Update

I checked out the fuel pump, thats working ok so no issues there, I can't make the relay do anything strange by tapping it & the ECU/Loom plug does'nt have any effect eiether.

So slightly stumped - any more suggestion????
« Last Edit: 26 January 2007, 23:18:59 by Cptsideways »
Omega TD Tow bus

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2007, 09:49:35 »

Can you positively identify which relay is buzzing?

Cptsideways

• N Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2007, 17:57:31 »

Another update, I rechecked the turbo today & it looks like its foobarred, does'nt spool much even with the outlet pipe disconnected, the wategate actuates fine. So thats the cause of its slowness.

Have'nt managed to identify the relay yet, will do tomorrow when I get some assitance.

Anybody got a spare turbo lying about?, its that or rebuild this one which is probably not a bad idea as I'm sponsored by Universal Turbo's for my drift cars turbo (it a bit bigger lol) so no doubt they'll do me a deal.
Omega TD Tow bus

Cptsideways

• N Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2007, 22:36:59 »

Fault now diagnosed & fixed !

It was the MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) after all that, the vacuum/boost hose off the manifold comes off the very bottom of the manifold, so of course over time it gets clogged & blocked up. I simply replaced it with another one from a breakers with some new hose & hey presto, we have boost & it goes as it should do.

Obviously being an electronic fuel system, if the sensor does'nt see boost it won't fuel sufficiently hence no excessive smoke.

Will be taking it for a wee run (450miles) up to Scotland this weekend, with trailer & my newly finished 1JZ-GTE 500bhp Soarer in tow for the Scottish Motor Sport Show. I'm quite looking forward to a nice waft in it  :y
Omega TD Tow bus

busastars

• Gwent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2007, 17:23:14 »

My TD has an intermittent EML - it started about 5 years ago(!) - had it checked by an Opel dealer and they came up with no errors/problems. I later found that it is due to a bad contact in the plastic connector (BMW made!) located near/behind the EGR valve on the LHS of the car (looking forward). This connector is quite difficult to see, it is the main loom to/from the engine - once you find it give it a tug whilst someone else watches the EML - if the EML goes out with in sequence with the movements, you've found your culprit! (mine tends to come on on deceleration - I think that the torque reaction of the engine is making it move slightly on its mounts & that puts a little strain on the connector). If it is this, don't panic, I have run mine for approx 200k km like this with no problems - the only noticeable thing is that occasionally on idle the engine doesn't feel 100% smooth.

This sound's like what is happining with my car, where is the EGR valve, have anyone got any pic's so I can see what I'm lookin for.

Thanks.

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2007, 19:24:16 »

The EGR valve is between the inlet manifold & the black plastic moulding that runs across the front of the engine bay. The connector in question on mine (if that is what you're looking for) is mounted somewhere on the side of the battery mount - you'll need a good light to find it - all is black down there. The connector is in plastic, has a black plastic cover, the body is maybe 2inch diameter & if you look very closely is marked BMW.
On mine, I find that if the EML starts flashing (and the cruise control cuts out), all I have to do is stop, give the connector a good tug/push & I'm off again for a few hundred miles.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2007, 19:31:05 »

The EGR valve is between the inlet manifold & the black plastic moulding that runs across the front of the engine bay. The connector in question on mine (if that is what you're looking for) is mounted somewhere on the side of the battery mount - you'll need a good light to find it - all is black down there. The connector is in plastic, has a black plastic cover, the body is maybe 2inch diameter & if you look very closely is marked BMW.
On mine, I find that if the EML starts flashing (and the cruise control cuts out), all I have to do is stop, give the connector a good tug/push & I'm off again for a few hundred miles.
Sounds like one of the main loom connectors...
Grumpy old man

busastars

• Gwent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2007, 19:35:17 »

Thanks for that, with mine it flashes on momenterarly as I change gear and the engine seams to cut or stall slightly causing the car to kangaroo slightly then back to normal, its as the revs drop, a little like you explained it, I'm rubbish at explaining things and gettin to the point.

So what I need to do is with the ingnition on, engine not running start playing with the connector and see if the engine management light flickers. Think that is how you explained it.

Thankyou.

busastars

• Gwent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2007, 00:21:50 »

I have just read this while searching on the net, can anyone shine some light on it please.

"Having trouble with diesel pump advised by main dealer to replace £1500+++ only 87k miles. The problem with the pump is that sometimes when you take foot off gas the engine wants to cut out but picks up at the last second before dieing. Apparently its a intermittent electronic fault , but you can't repair pumps."

Anyone?

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2007, 13:04:26 »

To reply to your post on the 27th - you need to have the engine running while you mess around with the connector - and yes I think it is the main loom connector.
Of course it might be that you have another problem... :-/

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2007, 13:08:38 »

The problem with the pump seems to be that at tickover the engine runs "lumpy" - this is generally an electrical track inside the pump - Omegatoy seems to be the expert on this one - hopefully he can shed some more light on this - one of my Omegas has this problem - I have a new pump ready to be fitted but have been too busy to get round to it yet - it only gives me a problem in town & 99% of my driving is long-distance motorway work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.