Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spraying costs  (Read 3785 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Spraying costs
« on: 09 April 2021, 13:38:40 »

Does anyone have any idea roughly what it would cost to respray an Omega roof. Its gone funny around the antenna area.  :(
Lot of people would say why bother, but I am a perfectionist.... :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Spraying costs
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2021, 13:54:14 »

Does anyone have any idea roughly what it would cost to respray an Omega roof. Its gone funny around the antenna area.  :(
Lot of people would say why bother, but I am a perfectionist.... :y

You're going to be looking at <£100 of materials and a couple of hours work., assuming it's just the paint that's gone 'funny'

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2021, 14:11:04 »

I haven't had any spray work done for a long while but after hearing what folk seem to be paying I would budget at least £500 for a proper job.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2021, 14:19:32 »

Glad you said that......I had it in my own mind it probably would be about £500. Based on that, I shall see if I can get a quote. Had you said around a thousand, I would not bother.
TB...if you read this, have you any experience of sprayers in Brackley. :)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2021, 14:39:26 »

Spraying is a weird one. As there are so many things that could wrong. I couldn't understand the price range when I was looking. When I spoke to mate he enlightened me.

There are 2 pricing schemes, 1 For a trade job and the other for a bloke off the street price. The difference is the bloke off the street price will be approximately double the trade job. They apparently base this on the number of returns that come back from each and as such they price the bloke off the street as if they are going to have to do the job twice, due to higher expectations.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2021, 14:55:44 »

Spraying is a weird one. As there are so many things that could wrong. I couldn't understand the price range when I was looking. When I spoke to mate he enlightened me.

There are 2 pricing schemes, 1 For a trade job and the other for a bloke off the street price. The difference is the bloke off the street price will be approximately double the trade job. They apparently base this on the number of returns that come back from each and as such they price the bloke off the street as if they are going to have to do the job twice, due to higher expectations.
So, if you buy a car from a dealer that's had some paint done you are getting a substandard job. In these days of folk getting cars click & collect that's  not so good. Can understand in normal times,  you can walk around the car and make your choice, but awkward now.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2021, 15:34:36 »

Could well be worth getting someone like cpc ,(cosmetic paint care) smart repair,
 or another mobile service to do a localised repair (like they do with bumper scuffs ,alloy wheels ,stone chips etc  ;)
BEFORE spending £500 getting the roof done,
 there are some very skilled smart repair people out there
about £80- £100  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2021, 16:21:56 »

The trade jobs tend to be more frequent, so are priced for turnover with a small profit.
Walk-ins can't be relied on, so are priced higher to for a bigger profit margin.

Lots of industries do this; regularly buying thousands of items from a trade supplier gets a very different unit price to someone who occasionally buys half a box full.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2021, 16:32:58 »

Depends where you go. I took my ML to a body shop where he replaced the lower chrome bit of the bumper (best part of £500 on its own) & painted half the coloured bit .... £1100 but he knew an insurance company was paying.

My daughter took her Yaris to another body shop 100yds away run by a couple of Polish lads. She had both corners of the rear bumper painted (car park damage) and virtually one side of the car sprayed due to someone with a key. It all came to £600. I could find fault in the Yaris paint job .... I found a run at the front .... but on the whole, it wasn't a bad job for the money.

My favourite painter died!  :'(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2021, 16:42:52 »

Depends where you go. I took my ML to a body shop where he replaced the lower chrome bit of the bumper (best part of £500 on its own) & painted half the coloured bit .... £1100 but he knew an insurance company was paying.

My daughter took her Yaris to another body shop 100yds away run by a couple of Polish lads. She had both corners of the rear bumper painted (car park damage) and virtually one side of the car sprayed due to someone with a key. It all came to £600. I could find fault in the Yaris paint job .... I found a run at the front .... but on the whole, it wasn't a bad job for the money.

Why are people so inconsiderate!  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2021, 18:30:07 »

John worked till silly o'clock 7 days a week .... never took a day off. Not sure how old he was but believe he was only late 60s when he died  :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2021, 18:30:51 »

Glad you said that......I had it in my own mind it probably would be about £500. Based on that, I shall see if I can get a quote. Had you said around a thousand, I would not bother.
TB...if you read this, have you any experience of sprayers in Brackley. :)
'Fraid not.  My man was hard to pin down, but has since moved jobs making private jobs more challenging.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2021, 11:14:16 »

John worked till silly o'clock 7 days a week .... never took a day off. Not sure how old he was but believe he was only late 60s when he died  :'(

Working with paint and filller  dust doesnt tend to extend life expectancy,especially old school non mask wearers
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2021, 13:13:39 »

Could well be worth getting someone like cpc ,(cosmetic paint care) smart repair,
 or another mobile service to do a localised repair (like they do with bumper scuffs ,alloy wheels ,stone chips etc  ;)
BEFORE spending £500 getting the roof done,
 there are some very skilled smart repair people out there
about £80- £100  :y

That thought crossed my mind, Dave. However, being as the roof takes all the weather, I thought it would be almost impossible to blend in. Especially after all these years. If its going to look odd, I would rather go for the full roof  :y
« Last Edit: 10 April 2021, 13:15:27 by Terbs »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2021, 13:43:42 »

Minimal dismantling too... Unless it has a sunroof. The A pillars can be painted seamlessly down behind the top of the front wings, and the C pillars can be painted seamlessly to the trim piece, so no visible masking edges with a bit of care.

Screens out, side channel trims off (handful of screws),
Rear quarter trims off (unclip) and that's it.

Sunroof meeans headlining out and sunroof cassette out (all straightforward, just more effort.

Or you can bodge it and have lots of edges :-X

If you strip/reassemble most of it yourself, then you will limit the painting costs to the bare minimum.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.