Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monza  (Read 1409 times)

Iain

Monza
« on: 12 January 2007, 11:00:59 »

One of those 'bright idea' moments here but......

I wonder how difficult it would be to convert my Monza to run with either the 3.0 or 3.2 V6 instead of the straight 6 3.0??

The straight 6 is a good plant but in today's scheme of things just lacks the bit of oomph from todays engines....
Mainly from 0 to 60 mph......im quite confident that a good condition Monza engine will match an Elite flat out! A Monza is good for 130 mph easily!
Just the weight and low down grunt would let it down from standing against an Elite with the straight 6!

Anyone got any thoughts.....??

I know it wont be straight forward but,

A. is it do-able
B. is it worth the hassle
C.will i get anymore out of it

or is it a lot of work for not much gain....taking into consideration Insurance etc...you know how they dont like modified things,and it may unqualify it for a classic policy.

I dont think there is much difference in overall weight of the Omega and Monza but if it would work what do you reckon i should go for 3 or 3.2??

Not going to happen soon,just sounding it out at the moment

Probably just a daft notion really but...that what cars are all about eh??

:y :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Monza
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2007, 11:16:24 »

Anyone got any thoughts.....??

I know it wont be straight forward but,

A. is it do-able
B. is it worth the hassle
C.will i get anymore out of it .......
[size=16]DON'T DO IT!!!!![/size]
Duplex chain that lasts the life of the car vs 40000 mile cam belts.
I wouldn't want to buy a classic Monza that some one had 'modernised'
I cringe sometimes as I look through the classic cars on eBay where people have put diseasal engines in P5B Rovers!! WHY?
« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 11:16:41 by Andy_B »

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2007, 11:44:46 »

I'd agree

DON'T DO IT !

better off spending a bit on the Monza lump...

The straight six can fairly easily be taken from 3.0 up to 3.6...   and there used to be a number of cam and ECU chip sets available...   not to mention other performance parts....  I haven't looked for a number of years, but it's possible some of the stuff I had done to one of My Senators many years ago, can still be done....  maybe even cheaply if it's old stock some one wants shot of......   dunno...   but it's a thought...

or even better perhaps.....   swap out for a 24V SenatorB 3.0 ...  although this will require almost as much work as the Omega V6 swap...(wiring, custom exhaust , change the ECU and all sorts of other bits )  THEN go to 3.6.............  

while you're at it, you will also want to upgrade the braking system, gearbox and diff......   ;)  and suspension.....

(I promise you, a 3.6 straight six of either type (12 or 24 valve) has a LOT of grunt to handle...  )

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2007, 11:56:21 »

I like different and would probably consider it, it would make the Monza a much more balanced car with a lighter engine sat further back in the engine bay......

Iain

« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2007, 12:03:55 »

Good stuff!!

Cheers lads.....

I knew it was a daft idea....but just one of those things that kept going round my head!

Thanks for putting me off!

The 24v conversion is not worth the hassle TBH...the problem with the chains (there not duplex on the 24v) is just as bad and then you have to modify either the alternator bracket which gives you the problem of belt sizes or cut the chassis to accomidate the alternator :o ( the Alt is on the same side as the AFM on the 24 but battery side on the 12v)...so if you put a 24v in a Monza it just dont fit unless the bracket is modified or the chassis is chopped!! plus the other point is there can be all sorts of problems with the Dual Ram system then there is the stupid management system!

I'll shut it moaning and be happy with my straight forward 12v! i think!! :y

Iain

« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2007, 12:05:27 »

Posted by: Marks DTM Calib Posted on: Today at 11:56am
I like different and would probably consider it, it would make the Monza a much more balanced car with a lighter engine sat further back in the engine bay......  

NO!! ::)
You did have to go say that man!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2007, 13:35:33 »

My 3.2 books at 149MPH, I doubt the Monza would be able to acheive that in standard guise.

The 3.6 conversion is definitely possible, but it'd require either a Lotus or Irmscher crank!! (£££££££££'s)

If you want extra Ooooomph just stick a GM V8 in it!! The engine's centre of gravity will be further back, they're ten a penny, tuning parts are also dirt cheap and if it's and old one you don't need to worry about ECU's etc!!

You know you want to!!

Do - it! Do - it! Do - it! Do - it!

If I have to explain you won't understand!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2007, 14:29:23 »

do it....dont do it ...who knows

But it would be one very intresting, and quick  :o car  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Iain

« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2007, 16:02:00 »

stick a GM V8 in it!!
:y

Coupled to the 265 Getrag box!!...now theres a thing!! Big Rod!! what you doing putting more thoughts in my head!! ;D

The Monza is listed from the manufacturer as a top end of 132 mph  Although i can assure you it goes quicker than that! *cough* on a private road of course :y

On the Monza,over a ton the speedo reads approx 8 mph faster than actual travel.
A few years back i did the head gasket on one i had,while it was stripped i put new piston rings and shells etc on it too...rebuild the head etc and ran it in for a few hundred miles....it felt great so i decided one night to try it ;) :y.....

A very healthy and respectfull speedo reading of 147 mph!! so take off the speedo error and its still 139 mph-ish...it felt like it was flying i might add!! :y

Not bad for an old bus that was about 19 years old at the time ;D :y

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2007, 20:52:28 »

Did your "Private Road" have three lanes and white lines?  If not you have access to a huge straight driveway  8-)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2007, 21:06:44 »

Wel i put the 24v straight six in my Monza and it flew at Trax in fact that was why IM put one in his!!! and as for the chain probs if you put a new one in before you put the engine in thats it for the life of the car!!!
ref alternator not a problem at all with shortened bracket!!
and wiring is easy!! ecu eetc
Omegatoy

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2007, 21:29:52 »

STUFF the monza , Omegatoy,  I want your 2.0 ;)  Omega !!!  ..... likewise in Oxford......   but jealous as all hell....   :D

Let's just say "It appeals to my sense of humour"  :D :y :y :y
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2007, 21:40:37 »

STUFF the monza , Omegatoy,  I want your 2.0 ;)  Omega !!!  ..... likewise in Oxford......   but jealous as all hell....   :D

Let's just say "It appeals to my sense of humour"  :D :y :y :y

YEP  was a great old bus but the old bill got to know it too well :-[ so was sold last year to a mate of mine in cambridgeshire, where it terrorises m5s and the like !! and has ben tested against a  Lotus Carlton where honours were even!!
Omegatoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2007, 21:48:11 »

YEP  was a great old bus but the old bill got to know it too well :-[  .......  
Presumably just the rear view of it!!  ;)  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.