Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 7652 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Tyres
« Reply #45 on: 01 June 2014, 18:01:31 »

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.

.. even if it's a Fer.. Fer.. Fer.. F**ken, I wonder?

Probably not. By the sound of it.

Stemo

« Reply #46 on: 01 June 2014, 18:01:31 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

"Some" here seem to be implying that these are all the same simply due to the fact they haven't noticed the difference.

Ok fine, but why is that?  In the same way all drivers are not the same, all tyres are not the same either. The simple fact that one poster can't TELL the difference, doesn't mean they are the same.

Driving style is a key factor. You need to look at the driving style of the person posting as to weather they will reach those limits in order to find the differences.

I can assure you TB WILL find the limits of any road tyre. And those limits where exceeded LONG before any of the others in that list with the sc5.

Implying that tyre is the same as the others in your opinion is one thing, but implying another drivers opinion is invalid, a driver you don't know, or have any experience of clearly, is not on.

You have no idea of the experience and conditions involved wth the appalling handling characteristics of the sc5. I do. TB does.

Given those facts, at no point should the sc5 be recommended for the omega. Based on the first hand agreed experience of two members. Its Shite.

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.
You and your tyres. They're all much of a muchness on a normal car with a normal driver.  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #47 on: 01 June 2014, 18:04:46 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

"Some" here seem to be implying that these are all the same simply due to the fact they haven't noticed the difference.

Ok fine, but why is that?  In the same way all drivers are not the same, all tyres are not the same either. The simple fact that one poster can't TELL the difference, doesn't mean they are the same.

Driving style is a key factor. You need to look at the driving style of the person posting as to weather they will reach those limits in order to find the differences.

I can assure you TB WILL find the limits of any road tyre. And those limits where exceeded LONG before any of the others in that list with the sc5.

Implying that tyre is the same as the others in your opinion is one thing, but implying another drivers opinion is invalid, a driver you don't know, or have any experience of clearly, is not on.

You have no idea of the experience and conditions involved wth the appalling handling characteristics of the sc5. I do. TB does.

Given those facts, at no point should the sc5 be recommended for the omega. Based on the first hand agreed experience of two members. Its Shite.

You and your tyres. They're all much of a muchness on a normal car with a normal driver.  ;D

I wouldn't recommend sc5 to my Grandma.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 June 2014, 21:19:20 »

That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

Just unsuited, IMHO, to an Omega.

Unless your grandma drives an Omega :P ;D

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 June 2014, 21:24:17 »

In defence, the Irmscher wheels are factory aporoved/certified/available options.

I am with Opti on the Goodyear Assyms, btw :y
I am a little disappointed with grip, I had expected better. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad tyre, just not as good as I had expected.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 June 2014, 21:30:41 »

The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels.
235/45/17, as fitted to one of mine, is a bog standard size, and they are on bog standard Omega wheels. Yes, one of my Omegas (usually) runs on 235/40/18.

It is very similar to TB bleating about how no android phone can provide the email requirements he has, yet that does not apply to 99.9% of us on here.
Indeed, what is right for one might not be right for others. Like the fact we know that Android ecosystem only provides basic/poor email/collaboration tools, we can (as a community of Omega owners) hopefully provide some guidance on what works well, and what works poorly.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 June 2014, 21:36:09 »

Indeed, what is right for one might not be right for others. Like the fact we know that Android ecosystem only provides basic/poor email/collaboration tools, we can (as a community of Omega owners) hopefully provide some guidance on what works well, and what works poorly.

If I didn't have to collaborate with tools, I'd be a happy man. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 June 2014, 22:14:33 »

That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

Just unsuited, IMHO, to an Omega.

Unless your grandma drives an Omega :P ;D

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.

This is where I beg to disagree. I have had a full set on my standard Omega, got about 10k from them ( i am doing huge mileage at the moment) following a new from wishbone+poly and full WIM setup. Admittedly it was predominantly running up and down the A1/A1M. But it was fine, I never lost traction unless I drove like an absolute idiot. And was fine in the wet too. Now how is that unsuitable on an Omega? Why would I not recommend it to the remaining 99.9% of Omega drivers who dont drive like you. After all you are constantly talking about loosing traction, grip etc. The majority of owners here are not experiencing the symptoms you claim to experience.

On the other hand Falkens are deadly. I accept that. They were deadly on a FWD hot hatch I had a few years ago. They were poor on a BMW I had. So I have a low expectation from the company's products.

But as per you assessment, the only suitable tyres are a non existent Dunlop and SC3. How does that help OOF in deciding to buy a new tyre for their cars? And if you ask chrisgixer to contribute than it has to be a MO variant which is as rare as rocking horse shit!

Lastly let me say that my response was to the Phaeton owner who has a car which is completely different from the Omega and the SC5 may be perfect for it. So no need to be dismissive of their choice.

I am not dismissing your or chrisgixer's needs. It is just that your needs are not in line with the rest of the forums needs. So perhaps then, your recommendations are not in line with what other "normal" folk need/require.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2014, 22:17:00 by D »
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

chrisgixer

« Reply #53 on: 01 June 2014, 22:20:19 »

Ah, Troll moDe.... ::)

Anyway, moving on ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 June 2014, 22:25:45 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

chrisgixer

« Reply #55 on: 01 June 2014, 22:29:33 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(

D disagrees with everyone. He's quite a fair troll. ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01 June 2014, 23:41:48 »

just arrived following a troll down M6 M40 and the SC5s are a dream. Cheers to all - report back in 12 months!!
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 June 2014, 00:00:07 »

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 02 June 2014, 00:19:24 »

Well... they're black and round :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 June 2014, 00:29:59 »

And cheap!!!!!..................... ::) ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.