Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatics  (Read 14528 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Automatics
« Reply #120 on: 30 June 2020, 15:14:38 »

Wouldn't think my old A40 exists anywhere now, the floor was pretty rotten so part of it was made up of a welded in Hillman imp bonnet ! 😃

I loved my Farina bodied A40, but the front passenger seat was supported by air and the remains of the body shell as the cross member had rotted away; the whole of the body could be jacked up leaving the chassis - floor, transmission, wheels etc - on the floor as all the sills were gone and been replaced with an aluminium strip over copies of the Sun newspaper, and the body had holes everywhere!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

However, it passed the MOT TWICE, in 1970 and 71 as all the tyres (remoulds for £10) were good, the lights all worked and the brakes were good due to me making sure everything was "legal" for that time, plus the MOT examiner of the garage, SG Smith of Downham, I used all the time for fuel and masses of oil (10/- for a gallon can), liked me :-* :-* :o :o ;D ;D

In truth the elders around me at the time reckoned if I hit another solid object with my A40 it would disintegrate into rusted through body panels.  They were of course right, as close by me I once saw another Austin of the same vintage on the side of the road with all the body panels in pieces around it!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

Ha yes that's true , I liked the A40 as well mine was Royal blue with a black roof & cream steel wheels with lovely shiny chrome hub caps it looked great..😎

Oh yes, the classic black roof! :D :D   The rest of the body of mine was the classic Austin light blue, and the ONLY thing that was shiny was the chrome hub caps!   Even the chrome bumpers had rust showing through! ::) ::) ::)

Yours sounds as though it was a great example.  I cannot remember seeing many in that Royal blue, but that was a good strong colour for that car 8) 8) :-* :-* :y

I would certainly love a restored A40 now ;)

Nah......you are a Humber girl at heart, Lizzie.

As mentioned before a nice pair of Bristol's would also suit you. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Never have liked the look of the Bristol cars, but a Humber Snipe, or even better a Humber Super Snip of late 1950's vintage, YES PLEASE!! 8) 8) 8) :D :D :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 30 June 2020, 15:28:09 »

And after driving it for 10 minutes you would wonder how you ever liked such a hideous contraption.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 30 June 2020, 15:37:43 »

And after driving it for 10 minutes you would wonder how you ever liked such a hideous contraption.  ;D

Yes, probably!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

It is funny how time distorts the fondest of our memories! ::) ::) ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 30 June 2020, 17:10:01 »

Dad had Super Snipes as his company car from the mid '50s to '67 when they stopped production[apart from a one month dalliance in the early '60s with a Van den Plas 3L-a brand new car that he returned after the second gearbox in that one month ownership went pop]his first one was one of the "Mk" models and then subsequent ones[replaced every two years at most]were the "Series" cars.The last car his dad owned was a '66 Imperial.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 30 June 2020, 18:19:32 »

Ebay has several A40,s to choose from.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XAustin+A40.TRS0&_nkw=austin+a40&_sacat=29751

Lizzie will come over all misty-eyed. ;)

Oh yes, this one is just for me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-A40-farina-1959-new-MOT/143625538971?hash=item2170bfcd9b:g:wScAAOSwhjNe3POz

Now if I could get £7,000 for my Omega................I could go back in time!

Happy memories 8) 8) 8) :y

Look so basic now don't they , think I definitely prefer the RRS.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 30 June 2020, 19:16:35 »

Ebay has several A40,s to choose from.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XAustin+A40.TRS0&_nkw=austin+a40&_sacat=29751

Lizzie will come over all misty-eyed. ;)

Oh yes, this one is just for me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-A40-farina-1959-new-MOT/143625538971?hash=item2170bfcd9b:g:wScAAOSwhjNe3POz

Now if I could get £7,000 for my Omega................I could go back in time!

Happy memories 8) 8) 8) :y

Look so basic now don't they , think I definitely prefer the RRS.

Oh yes they do ;D ;D ;)

But at the time they were perfect for me to learn car mechanics on, with no complicated electronics and sensors everywhere.  Just basic engine with a basic body ;D ;D ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 30 June 2020, 19:32:05 »

Yes indeed,did a few miles in a XR3i last week,what a bloody awful noisey thing :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 30 June 2020, 19:52:01 »

Yes indeed,did a few miles in a XR3i last week,what a bloody awful noisey thing :-\

I went out in my mates MGB GT V8 a couple of times recently made me realise how much advancement has been made since the seventies, it looks & sounds fantastic but I felt very vunerable at high speeds.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 30 June 2020, 20:05:35 »

Yes.....the memories are usually better than the reality.

Much the same with old girlfriends. Thirty years on they don't look so hot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 30 June 2020, 21:10:41 »

I bet they say the same about you Opti ::) ::) :-* :-* ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 30 June 2020, 21:16:30 »

I bet they say the same about you Opti ::) ::) :-* :-* ;)

My boyish good looks will never fade, Lizzie..... ::) ::) ::) 8) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 01 July 2020, 09:03:19 »

I went out in my mates MGB GT V8 a couple of times recently made me realise how much advancement has been made since the seventies, it looks & sounds fantastic but I felt very vunerable at high speeds.

MGB is fifties production thinking and mechanicals. It wasn't even state of the art when introduced.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 01 July 2020, 11:10:52 »

I find the same when driving the series and 110 Land Rovers, they have a charm but, they feel dated.

You then drive the new one and its night and day yet, somehow, it still feels like a Land Rover somehow
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.