Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: CCR 2006 Blank Screen  (Read 4361 times)

Rog

CCR 2006 Blank Screen
« on: 21 January 2013, 09:20:24 »

CCR 2006 BOSE in a 200 X Reg 2.5 V6 Elite

Everything fine with unit switched off. But when switched on radio & CD all works ok but no details on screen display, just empty.

I've been termpted to disconnect from power and have code ready, but what if screen is the same and I can't enter codes ?

Any ideas out there ?

A while back unit was sent to Dave DVD to sort the "CD Safe" issue, been fine since then but this happened out of the blue.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: CCR 2006 Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2013, 10:52:18 »

Does the screen work with the other data on it when radio is off ?

ie: is it the screen thats faulty, or the radio ?

If screen still shows other data, then may well be worth disconnecting for 10 minutes, refitting and see what happens.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2013, 12:20:23 »

Is the time on the screen?

If the screen is completely blank, check you haven't turned down the dash illumination (the only wheel on the headlight switch)
Grumpy old man

Rog

« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2013, 13:16:29 »

Does the screen work with the other data on it when radio is off ?

ie: is it the screen thats faulty, or the radio ?

If screen still shows other data, then may well be worth disconnecting for 10 minutes, refitting and see what happens.

It's just the radio data, everything else is ok, time, temp, fuel, miles etc

I'm a bit concerned about disconnecting as this will require codes on reconnection, and without have a screen could be difficult.

Rog

« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2013, 13:17:03 »

Is the time on the screen?

If the screen is completely blank, check you haven't turned down the dash illumination (the only wheel on the headlight switch)

See above. Yes, time etc is fine

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2013, 13:48:55 »

Dodgy joint or connector maybe?  :-\

Its going to be a case of pull it out to try to reset it I`m afraid
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2013, 17:49:10 »

I know the earlier Phillips ones, which this is based on, allow you to adjust display type.. ...wonder if worth trying to change? Although that could leave you up shit creek ;D
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2013, 20:33:49 »

I know the earlier Phillips ones, which this is based on, allow you to adjust display type.. ...wonder if worth trying to change? Although that could leave you up shit creek ;D

Believe you can get paddles off ebay  ;D :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2013, 23:26:11 »

Worth a try - the code screen is always shown in both screen variants upon battery connection, so that whatever display you have, code entry is always possible when power is restored.

After that, the display will either freeze or dissappear, depending on 8 or 10 digit display configuration settings.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Rog

« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2013, 17:44:40 »

Ok, so far I have totally failed to remove the head unit. I've been using correct removal tools, been really patient. Pushed, pulled, wiggled, twisted, you name it.

Today, I got a bit impatient and tried force. Result, part of the unit facia detatched from the internal unit. I may have knackered it, BUT I still CAN NOT GET THE UNIT OUT.

I have removed the unit once before to send it to DaveDND, and it wasn't easy. This time it's impossible.

Any ideas ?

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2013, 22:09:39 »

I can't offer any positive advice, but I have been trying to get mine out for some time with no luck!
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2013, 01:05:18 »

If you have cheapo removal keys, try careful filing to get "sharp" tangs at the end - this should help.

Like this -

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Rog

« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2013, 20:45:45 »

If you have cheapo removal keys, try careful filing to get "sharp" tangs at the end - this should help.

Like this -

Could well be worth a try ! Thanks  :y

However . . . . I am also seriously considering a very big hammer  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2013, 10:02:03 »

A few minutes with a file to get those sharp edges is a very wise idea   :y

we do exactly the same with our tools here   :y
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2013, 21:19:33 »

Indeed, mine are all like that as well. The crap autoleads ones Hellfrauds sell need regular refiling, made of cheese.

I don't need to do this for the single DIN units, only the double DIN ones.
Grumpy old man

Rog

« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2013, 13:31:19 »

Update: TB and others had a go at it at the High Wycombe meet, still would not come out. So, used some brute force, fascia broke off and out it came with help from some hefty pliers. There's some comfort in knowing that others also failed not just me !

Unit is now almost certainly completely knackered, but it was no use anyway. I got given (yes given!) another unit (thanks Ben!), but completely untested, with a possible code, and almost certainly not Bose enabled. Not tried fitting it yet, I want to use some lubricant to make sure I can get it out again if I should need to. If it works, then I will need to see if it can be Bose'd

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2013, 18:59:21 »

I had similar issues getting my unit out too, and had to repair the fascia  :-[
When refitting I removed the locking plates from the side of the unit to allow easier removal while testing  :y

Rog

« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2013, 20:32:50 »

I had similar issues getting my unit out too, and had to repair the fascia  :-[
When refitting I removed the locking plates from the side of the unit to allow easier removal while testing  :y

I wondered about that. I'm a bit concerned that If I slide in another unit, I'll get the same situation in not being able to get it out again. Might try the same.

Rog

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2013, 18:12:58 »

CCR 2006 BOSE in a 200 X Reg 2.5 V6 Elite

Everything fine with unit switched off. But when switched on radio & CD all works ok but no details on screen display, just empty.

I've been termpted to disconnect from power and have code ready, but what if screen is the same and I can't enter codes ?

Any ideas out there ?

A while back unit was sent to Dave DVD to sort the "CD Safe" issue, been fine since then but this happened out of the blue.

So . . . the saga continues

Unit got stuck, ended up wrecking it to get it out.

Got given another complete CCR2006, Removed retaining clips in case this one got stuck

Slide it in and . . . . . exactly the same as the original  >:(

With unit off the screen is completely 100% as normal. Switch unit on and where you would normally see the radio station, or CD details, its just nothing. The time etc still shows. Switch unit off everything as normal again.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I emphasize, this is a different CCR 2006 unit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2013, 18:47:39 »

OK, you need to check the continuity on the 3 (or is it 4) wires between HU and screen.
Grumpy old man

Rog

« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2013, 21:52:11 »

OK, you need to check the continuity on the 3 (or is it 4) wires between HU and screen.

Jamie, sorry but I know that many out there are serious techies, but just what does that mean in English. And why does it work, and then NOT work ? What's changed ? Does a wire suddenly become incomplete on it's own ?

Although this car generally is pretty damned good now I have a serious feeling that I am going to end up almost dumping it because . . . . . . the sound system doesn't work. Not good when everything else is ok.

Simon.rose1

• Walsall
    • Omega 2.5v6 cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2013, 16:55:52 »

This might be a silly question but the bulb behind that part of the display hadn't gone has it as had them go on the vec and if you put a torch up to it you can see the figures if they working

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2013, 09:33:59 »

This might be a silly question but the bulb behind that part of the display hadn't gone has it as had them go on the vec and if you put a torch up to it you can see the figures if they working
The other lines are OK, so not bulbs (MIDs will still display even if only 1 bulb is working)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2013, 09:38:13 »

Jamie, sorry but I know that many out there are serious techies, but just what does that mean in English. And why does it work, and then NOT work ? What's changed ? Does a wire suddenly become incomplete on it's own ?

Although this car generally is pretty damned good now I have a serious feeling that I am going to end up almost dumping it because . . . . . . the sound system doesn't work. Not good when everything else is ok.
Hmmm, 2 options I see, either measure the continuity between HU and screen, or try a replacement MID.  How far are you from me?
Grumpy old man

Rog

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2013, 14:05:09 »

Hmmm, 2 options I see, either measure the continuity between HU and screen, or try a replacement MID.  How far are you from me?

Thanks TB, North London so not so far. However, I've just bought an MV6, and probably I will be putting this car as it is in the "For Sale" section soon.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 18 queries.