Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound at last!  (Read 2128 times)

brett1408

• leamington spa
    • View Profile
sound at last!
« on: 27 October 2007, 20:31:10 »

i finally by-passed the stupid blown-up phillips amp today, quite easy really!!! i bought the whole roll of speaker wire from the hardware shop and ( sorry ) butchered the amp loom, i joined the wires for the  bass speakers to the wires for the rear door speakers and ran all the new speaker wires into the car, here the fun began! out came the rear seat side bolster, the kick strips and lower b-post trim, the under dash panel, glovebox and arbag cover, side vents and end-of-dash panel, after a few go's at removing the wooden centre console switch and heater panel i gave up before breaking something, even the misses, Chelsea had a go but in the end it was a good old coat hanger that found a way through and with the ends of the new speaker wires firmly taped on through it came, so after putting everything back and wiring up a cd player, you dont half take iso connectors for granted dont you!! it sounds really good, all the speakers are on, none of em rattle or vibrate and the rear bass ones are loud enough to hear! i've got wiring colours all written down and any many pics of it all and i'll be happy to help anyone else do the same!  :y

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
Re: sound at last!
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2007, 22:47:27 »

Brett,

Mine was working and I'd decided to live with it until half the speakers stopped working the other day >:( Now I'm thinking of doing the same. Where abouts does this amplifier live and is it difficult to get at? Thanks for any help!

Humpy

brett1408

• leamington spa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2007, 12:59:00 »

sorry, not been on much lately! the amp's in the boot, take the spare wheel out, and its just in front of it in the wheel arch, 3 phillips screws, the speaker wires are the intertwined ones and the shelf speakers are in pairs, just cut them all and join the end that goes into the loom to your new wires and run it through the car to the back of the stereo, have fun mate!!!! ;D

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2007, 20:14:57 »

Mine was working and I'd decided to live with it until half the speakers stopped working the other day

You know I said that I thought my radio had packed up? Well, I, er, found the problem, although it pains me to admit it, once I'd adjusted the Balance control all the speakers now work :-[ Oh well, you know what they say, Please read the manual, (Read The F***ing Maunual)!

Humpy

PS Mind you, the radio still doesn't light up at night :(

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2007, 17:07:03 »

Mr Dumpty, have you got a multimeter?

If so, check the 'Illumination' supply from the loom plug that connects to the radio. It is an orange wire I believe? I.E. Connect your meter from the plug to a ground anywhere on the car. There should be a reading here, obviously there will only be a supply when the headlights are switched on.

Report back here and we'll get it sorted  :y

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2007, 00:27:02 »

Yeah that was my next point of call! Of course it'll have to wait until some flippin daylight :(

Humpy (feeling a bit embarrassed :D)

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2007, 18:54:20 »

Why embarrassed? If it doesn't work it doesn't work, happy to help mate! Always taught there's no such thing as a stupid question  :y

...and i've fitted car audio in the dark before!....

.....didn't work like!  ;D

There is always a nice feeling about getting a car audio system working though  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2007, 15:00:25 »

There is always a nice feeling about getting a car audio system working though

Yeah, having a car that has interior trim again, and the thought that you won't have to go through it again until next time you get a new car  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2007, 23:51:49 »

I had a nice feeling when I changed the bulbs in the heater controls so I can see what I'm doing in the dark :) And I was gobsmacked when my local dealer had them in stock and only a couple of quid ;D

Humpy

PS Still haven't checked the o/p of the ISO connector for 12v on the appropriate pin yet! Tomorrow hopefully when it's light :y
« Last Edit: 14 November 2007, 23:52:44 by Humpy »

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2007, 12:30:35 »

Well, had a look at the appropriate pin on the ISO connector and guess what, yup +12v when you put the lights on and off when you turn the lights off. Looks like I'll be taking the radio apart tonight then :o

Humpy

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2007, 13:08:37 »

Humpy,

Well, whadya know? The radio's started lighting up at night now [smiley=laugh.gif] Now all I've got to do is sort out the radio reception :'(

Humpy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.