Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TC on a car without tc  (Read 2751 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: TC on a car without tc
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2009, 22:44:02 »

I don't think I'd be able to afford to find out!  :'(  :'(  :'(  :y  :y

Don`t you believe it - the price on those cars is going to fall sharply, Stunning car it may be, but the Vx badge is never going to hold its deserved value, so it will not be too long before they become affordable secondhand, providing they have not been Chavved or crashed in the meantime.[/quote]

I've decided that my Omega will stay on the raod as long as I can make it - with in reason. The next car I buy will be a V8 powered GRP toy made in Blackpool!  :y  :y  :y  :y
[/quote]

V8 and GRP ?  I cant think of a better combination  :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2009, 10:29:44 »

V8 and GRP ?  I cant think of a better combination  :y

V8, GRP and Blackpool is another recipe for first name terms with the AA guy though.  ;)

Was speaking to a mate and owner of such a machine at the weekend who recently achieved a personal best. Broke down before the end of his own driveway. He did add that he's got quite a long driveway, though. ;D

I've always liked this V8/GRP mix myself.  :-*

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2009, 16:38:03 »

V8, GRP and Blackpool is another recipe for first name terms with the AA guy though.  ;) ......

Although I've no personal experience, I think a lot of the bad press comes down to the fact that a lot of these types of cars are high days & holidays cars and are owned by people with no idea at all. Cars need to be driven!  :y  :y  :y

But the couple of visits I made to Blackpool were an eye opener!  :-?  :-?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2009, 16:48:55 »

V8, GRP and Blackpool is another recipe for first name terms with the AA guy though.  ;) ......

Although I've no personal experience, I think a lot of the bad press comes down to the fact that a lot of these types of cars are high days & holidays cars and are owned by people with no idea at all. Cars need to be driven! :y  :y  :y

But the couple of visits I made to Blackpool were an eye opener!  :-?  :-?  ;D  ;D  ;D

I agree with you on the Kit based cars, they need to be driven and constantly tweaked - but then thats the whole fun of the ownership and can be equally as rewarding as driving them. if you don`t want to be tinkering under the bonnet, don`t buy a kit car.

But, when it comes to some of the Exotica, they are simply not up to being driven every day either, and are also beyond the scope of even a good mechanic to keep on the road. It seems that the more you pay, the more you get to look at it sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. My first ferrari was bad enough, and thought I simply had a pup, but the second one was just as bad. I was staggered watching Top gear last night to the number of Lambo`s that had caught fire, (must be very high as a percentage), but I must admit to being interested in the Porsche. One of the few quality brands that really does appear to function and last - even the rough Porsche`s I have had have never broken down at the side of the road, they`ve always made it home first
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2009, 10:30:14 »

But the couple of visits I made to Blackpool were an eye opener!

I agree with you on the Kit based cars, they need to be driven and constantly tweaked - but then thats the whole fun of the ownership and can be equally as rewarding as driving them. if you don`t want to be tinkering under the bonnet, don`t buy a kit car.

Kit based cars are cheap for what they offer, though, purely because they're only as good as the guy who built them. Problem is, there are a lot of low volume production cars with much higher price tags and much the same quality issues.

It comes down to how much testing gets done, both before and, unwittingly, after sale by the early adopters, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind betting more miles get put on a standard production car in the first fourtnight of sales than have been put on Lambo's whole output. If there are issues such as spontaneous combustion, they are picked up and rectified quickly. In fact, the budget of a mainstream manufacturer allows for enough testing that anything serious gets picked up in development before the great unwashed ever get their hands on the car.

A few niggles is the price you have to pay for being individual. ;)

Having said that, if I were running said Blackpool outfit I would be looking to minimise my dependence on components that don't have a track record of reliability, knowing that my budget doesn't allow much testing. I certainly wouldn't be developing engines myself. I'd be buying them in. I'd do a decent job of mapping them too. :-X

But I do agree that there are plenty of clueless people driving cars which really need more TLC than they have the experience to provide.

Kevin

48k miles on a self-built car and not been left stranded yet. :y

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2009, 10:51:48 »

48k miles on a self-built car and not been left stranded yet.

You`re way ahead of me then, I`m just coming up to 2K on my Beach Buggy
 :D
www.dndservices.co.uk

espen22

• Norway(the coldest part of it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2009, 19:55:46 »

Funny reading guys but not much about the TC, besides that my engine is to lousy to spin the wheels;)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2009, 18:39:01 »

quite simply the ecu cannot shut each injector down seperately all ity could poss do would be to cut the pump and you dont want that!! and its torque that spins the wheels guys!! and diesels have plenty of that!!! :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2009, 20:26:37 »

Actually, thinking about it, I take back my remarks, I just remembered the blistering test drive I had in the VXR8 a few months back - Very tempted !!
 :-/

Ah! That's a Holden though in cognito!  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Thats what it says on paper, but to be perfectly honest, I found the VXR8 to be so much more refined than the Monaro, yet couldn`t put my finger on what the difference was. I`d opt for the VXR8 out of the two though

I would like one too - 5 seats as well

espen22

• Norway(the coldest part of it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2009, 01:48:35 »

quite simply the ecu cannot shut each injector down seperately all ity could poss do would be to cut the pump and you dont want that!! and its torque that spins the wheels guys!! and diesels have plenty of that!!! :y
TNX omegatoy :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.