Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Indicator Permanently On  (Read 2766 times)

PJG

• Tyne & Wear
    • View Profile
Indicator Permanently On
« on: 16 August 2007, 15:22:39 »

Hi there, recently my R reg Omega 3.0 Elite has developed some Elite electrical gremlins.  The passenger side indicator bulbs are all permanently on (not flashing just on) evenwhen the car is switched off and locked up.  In order to stop attracting the attention of the law and to save my battery I removed a fuse, this fuse also controls the trip computer, the radio, the heater fans and facia, roof lights and the drivers electric seat.  With the fuse out the indicators do work normally hovever when indicating left in time with the flashes the computer, heater fans and lefthand side interior lights also come on and off, most amusing ;D.  I have replaced the flasher unit under as a precaution but this did not change anything :-[. I have tried to locate what I believe is called Board Three which has the alarm relay on it, I believe this could be part of the problem.  My searches have found nothing, nor could I find the alarm control unit (I found the sounder and disconnected it as I had the alarm going off during the hottest time of the day problem).  Please can anyone help :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Indicator Permanently On
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2007, 16:00:15 »

Try a replacement hazard switch ;)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2007, 16:07:55 »

Failing that it's the relay that the alarm uses to control the indicators. Don't know where it's located, I'm afraid. Probably on the panel by the cabin fusebox. Sounds like a contact has welded meaning it supplies power continuously and that is feeding back into associated curcuits when you remove the fuse.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

PJG

• Tyne & Wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2007, 16:32:07 »

Firstly thankyou for the speedy response, am very impressed with the forum :y.  I had pulled the hazard warning light switch out before thinking that this could be the problem, however nothing changed :-/.  I do think that the problem is definitley related to the relay that the alarm uses to control the indicators.  The only thing is that I do not know where this is located.  I had a look in the modern Haynes Manual but I may as well have looked for the answer in an old copy of the Beano.  Has anyone got any suggestions or an older Haynes?  Once again thanks for the help :)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2007, 16:51:43 »

I seem to remember having this on my other Omega. The relay is behind the glove box. You can either remove the glove box or just the kick panel beneath it. There are a couple of relays there, but not sure which one. Try pulling each one in turn.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2007, 17:08:00 »

Had another check on Yahoo groups where i originally posted my reply to the problem

Its a grey coloured relay to the left and behind the glove box, GM no
90 060 264

You'll find its part of the alarm system so pulling it will still allow your indicators to work, they just won't flash when locking/unlocking the car

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2007, 17:29:02 »

I know if you take the hazard warning switch out of the dash the indicators wont work  :-[ as I found out a while ago after taking the dash out to play with the climate control unit  ;)

PJG

• Tyne & Wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2007, 17:42:31 »

Eureka!!!! It was the little grey bar steward of a relay located behind the glove compartment  :o.  I only wish I had used the forum earlier as I have practically field stripped the car over the last couple of days.  I can now put the car in for its MOT, she has been a good old ship!! a bit like a car version of the millenium falcon, fingers crossed she will pass, thanks again for all the help, Philip :y [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2007, 17:51:26 »

Ahh, glad you've sorted it. I know the relay you're talking about. It's next to the brake light current sensor for the trailer electrics. Glad we know what that relay does now. BTW: Did removing the relay fix it or did you have to put a new one in for the indicators to work again?

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2007, 17:57:38 »

Ahh, glad you've sorted it. I know the relay you're talking about. It's next to the brake light current sensor for the trailer electrics. Glad we know what that relay does now. BTW: Did removing the relay fix it or did you have to put a new one in for the indicators to work again?

Kevin

If my memory is correct it only works on the alarm and locking/unlocking for flashing the indicators, so you can still run without it. I found before the relay had contacts had failed inside, replacing the relay should solve the problem.

PJG

• Tyne & Wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2007, 18:00:33 »

Just in case anyone is interested I took the offending relay apart and found that one of the contacts had snapped and must have made its final resting (explains why the lights behaved oddly for a while before sticking on) place between two other contacts.   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

PJG

• Tyne & Wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2007, 18:05:37 »

Yes all that relay does is flash the indicators when the alarm is armed/unarmed, so everything works as normal with it removed, once again thanks for the support!! Cheers Guys [smiley=beer.gif]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2007, 21:09:31 »

Yes all that relay does is flash the indicators when the alarm is armed/unarmed, so everything works as normal with it removed, once again thanks for the support!! Cheers Guys [smiley=beer.gif]

OK. Just wondered if it had changeover contacts to isolate the indicator / hazard switch circuits or if it just pulls the whole circuit live...

Kevin

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2007, 21:36:40 »

OK. Just wondered if it had changeover contacts to isolate the indicator / hazard switch circuits or if it just pulls the whole circuit live...

Kevin

Just checking the wiring diagram, the relay is K46 which is fed from the anti theft/door locking unit.

2 outputs from this relay feed into the left and right of the the flasher circuit.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2007, 23:19:00 »

I know the relay you're talking about. It's next to the brake light current sensor for the trailer electrics. ........

I suppose it depends upon where your trailer check relay lives! As discussed before mine's above the driver's feet.  ;)  ::)  ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.