Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another alarming problem    (Read 1630 times)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
Another alarming problem  
« on: 11 July 2007, 00:03:24 »

I know everyone will say not another alarm problem, I have read through some previous post and have read about the bonnet switch and the power sounder battery problems. The problem i have is a bit odd I can drive the car to work and park it and leave it at 0800 with no problem then almost as if a timer has been set the alarm will go off at about 1230-1300 no one is near the car at the time it goes off . If I disarm the alarm and then reset it it will not go off for about ten minutes and will then go off again. after this has happened several times it seems to settle down again and wont go off again. If Iremove the bonnet switch this does not happen, I have even obtained another bonnet switch and checked the operation of the switch and it appears to be working ok,at the moment the bonnet switch is removed and the alarm has not gone off. Has any one any ideas please    

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Another alarming problem  
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2007, 09:34:21 »

Sounds like heat from the sun causing the bonnet to shift slightly. At least you've narrowed it down to that one switch.

I would be tempted to try finding out where the bonnet switch contacts the bonnet and then put a self-adhesive felt pad (of the type used on furniture legs to protect floors) on the bonnet at that point to ensure it presses the switch down firmly.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2007, 10:12:15 »

I did wonder if it was something to do with the heat during the day as the alarm is ok during the night. I think I will reconnect the switch but tape the switch down just to see what happens in theory it should not go off.If that is ok for a couple of days I will do as you say and pack out the contact point. I had already adjusted the bonnet catch as the bonnet was not closed properly but this made no difference. Is the bonnet switch a common problem this is my third Omega and the only one that has had this problem?
Martin    

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2007, 14:17:03 »

Yes, bonnet switch, make sure the bracket on which it mounts is not at all bent (they get knocked when working on the engine)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2007, 00:56:33 »

I have now reconnected the switch and put it back in position, I was not sure where the plunger actually made contact. To find out the contact position I put a bit of grease on top of the plunger and closed the bonnet after opening the bonnet the plunger had left grease in the position it made contact. I have now stuck a piece of plastic in the hole to ensure the plunger is fully depressed when the bonet is shut so far so good hopefully that will be the end of the problem  :)  

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2007, 10:17:08 »

park in the shade :y

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2007, 22:52:46 »

Alarm problem now sorted thank you even had it parked in the sun today and it did not go off, it really was getting frustrating. Thanks for all the advice on this  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.