Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Y26SE, AR25 and Mobile Home 1300kg  (Read 4061 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Y26SE, AR25 and Mobile Home 1300kg
« on: 06 June 2017, 19:19:26 »

Hello
Just bought a Mobile Home (Caravan) having total weight 1300 kg. Is it OK to use D-position in Auto box which allow to lock the turbine or prevent the locking by using e.g. position 3 or S-mode. Heard that locking turbine can be a problem with heavy caravan.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Y26SE, AR25 and Mobile Home 1300kg
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2017, 19:41:37 »

Hello
Just bought a Mobile Home (Caravan) having total weight 1300 kg. Is it OK to use D-position in Auto box which allow to lock the turbine or prevent the locking by using e.g. position 3 or S-mode. Heard that locking turbine can be a problem with heavy caravan.

I think the "locking turbine" is a translation error for "torque converter lockup", however it matters not .. I tow a 1600kg caravan and have done for many years, absolutely no problem with using "D" at all ... very rarely use any other position (other than "R" and "P")   :)

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2017, 19:53:32 »

Thanks for reply and sorry for wrong "translation"; yes torque converter it is. I try to keep that in my mind. Found a bit higher fuel consumption...

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2017, 20:14:02 »

Hello

I think the "locking turbine" is a translation error for "torque converter lockup", however it matters not .. I tow a 1600kg caravan and have done for many years, absolutely no problem with using "D" at all ... very rarely use any other position (other than "R" and "P")   :)

...actually do you have AR35 and perhaps larger torque converter?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2017, 20:25:10 »

Hello

...actually do you have AR35 and perhaps larger torque converter?

yup 3.2 has the AR35 .. no idea on difference in torque converter, although the previous omega was a 2.5 V6  with the AR25 and that towed a similar caravan for 5 years without any problems !!  :)

Omegas are excellent towcars, without any doubt whatsoever :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2017, 08:55:48 »

Ive towed several Omegas (1700kg) for 50 miles or so with a 2.5v6 / AR25  and had no problems whatsoever. 1300kg shouldn't present any problems.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2017, 05:07:01 »

Nice to hear, thanks for comments. In Finland max speed for caravan is 80 km/hour (50 miles/h) so let's see during coming week end...

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2017, 15:50:44 »

Actually one question more, how about tire pressure in back?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2017, 18:11:05 »

Please read the manual ;)

Might even be on the door pillar :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2017, 18:18:46 »

Please read the manual ;)

Might even be on the door pillar :-\
Not on door pillar on Omega. Is in manual.  Pressures, both normal and loaded, varies with tyre size :)
Grumpy old man

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2017, 18:46:47 »

Sure, that I understood but with caravan, is it more safe to understand that as "Full Load".

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2017, 19:04:24 »

Sure, that I understood but with caravan, is it more safe to understand that as "Full Load".
I'm not a pikey, but I thought caravans we not supposed to put significant weight on the car.

I'm sure our resident professional pikey - Entwood - will give some proper, sensible pikey related advice :y
Grumpy old man

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2017, 20:20:00 »

OK, thanks. Understood that the weight to the "hook" can be 50-100 kg (110-220 lb) + extra forces sideways during the journey. So I only thought should I put the max pressure to rear, let's wait the professional to talk...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2017, 21:02:46 »

I'm not a pikey, but I thought caravans we not supposed to put significant weight on the car.

I'm sure our resident professional pikey - Entwood - will give some proper, sensible pikey related advice :y

I can try .. maximum "noseweight" for the towball is 100Kgs, regardless of the weight of the van itself, and that is the "norm" for most 'vans as well, although some do have lower limits. As "most" folk who caravan regularly are very aware of the problems that occur if the van weighs more than the car, or gets close to it, they tend to load the car with as much as they can. So a full boot, stuff on the backseat and the van on the hitch puts a fair weight over the back axle, hence the use of the "Full Load" tyre pressures to avoid saggy sidewalls leading to overheating tyres, and excessive lateral movement etc.

That 100kgs noseweight is actually pretty important, and most aim to get very close to it, but not exceed it, as it aids stability greatly, along with the old adage .. "heavy stuff over the axle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rH-g7LDHeI

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2017, 21:14:15 »

I can try .. maximum "noseweight" for the towball is 100Kgs, regardless of the weight of the van itself, and that is the "norm" for most 'vans as well, although some do have lower limits. As "most" folk who caravan regularly are very aware of the problems that occur if the van weighs more than the car, or gets close to it, they tend to load the car with as much as they can. So a full boot, stuff on the backseat and the van on the hitch puts a fair weight over the back axle, hence the use of the "Full Load" tyre pressures to avoid saggy sidewalls leading to overheating tyres, and excessive lateral movement etc.

That 100kgs noseweight is actually pretty important, and most aim to get very close to it, but not exceed it, as it aids stability greatly, along with the old adage .. "heavy stuff over the axle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rH-g7LDHeI

I thought the max tow ball weight for an Omega was 75kg  :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.