Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: oh crap  (Read 6801 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: oh crap
« Reply #30 on: 03 January 2007, 19:39:20 »

Well, if it was me, I would have the cam cover and cambelt off to remove the backing plate, that will expose a fair chunk of thread.....apply some Rust-off and wind it out.....

Yeah, but you're a clever bugger :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 January 2007, 19:42:26 »

Well, if it was me, I would have the cam cover and cambelt off to remove the backing plate, that will expose a fair chunk of thread.....apply some Rust-off and wind it out.....

Watch the drilling technique.......you dont want swarf in th cambelt area....

Ow yes.....[size=16]You Muppet![/size]
that 2 threads included depth of backing plate!
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 January 2007, 19:43:11 »

Watch the drilling technique.......you dont want swarf in th cambelt area....

Ow yes.....[size=16]You Muppet![/size]

:-[ :-[ :-[

I'd have to take the all the gears and cogs off to get access to that back plate?

Very, Very nervous about doing that!  :(

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 January 2007, 19:54:28 »

Well for what its worth this is what i would do, remove back plate,find a nut that just goes over the remains of the stud , then stick weld inside thus welding a nut to the remains of the stud/thread, then walk away go donwtown the boozer bed or whatever, but leave it for at lest hours to cool down, this will do  things, it will allow the heat in the weld to penetrate the stud then when the stud has cooled down and shrunk back to its proper size it will crack the corrosion around the stud and it will be easy to undo sith a spanner on the nut!!
follow that? sounds complicated but its easy to do, standard engineeriing practice mate, then you just put a new standard bolt or whatever it is back in
Omegatoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 January 2007, 19:56:42 »

Well for what its worth this is what i would do, remove back plate,find a nut that just goes over the remains of the stud , then stick weld inside thus welding a nut to the remains of the stud/thread, then walk away go donwtown the boozer bed or whatever, but leave it for at lest hours to cool down, this will do  things, it will allow the heat in the weld to penetrate the stud then when the stud has cooled down and shrunk back to its proper size it will crack the corrosion around the stud and it will be easy to undo sith a spanner on the nut!!
follow that? sounds complicated but its easy to do, standard engineeriing practice mate, then you just put a new standard bolt or whatever it is back in
Omegatoy
I think that may be slightly beyond Tunnies skills. And I doubt he has the tools :(
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 January 2007, 20:02:28 »

Omegatoy

I can what you mean, good idea!

However the bolt that came out went from thick to thin as in the photo on the first page.

Another problem is i have never welded anything before and don't have a welder.

I appreciate the suggestion, if i had the tools it would make short work of that nut.

The only method i can think of which i have tools / skills for is to WD40 it tonight, leave it till the morning. Try with the plyers again, if not hit it with a chisel to create a grove and unscrew.

HOWEVER I need the car on Sunday, and i bet that screw i need is order only at 4 days...  

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 January 2007, 20:03:26 »

Omegatoy
I think that may be slightly beyond Tunnies skills. And I doubt he has the tools :(

Imagine the damage I could do with a welder!  :o

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #37 on: 03 January 2007, 20:03:39 »

Totally agree  :y

The likes of Tunnie and me that would be beond me  i think :-/

Taking the cambelt off scares me  :-[

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 January 2007, 20:06:32 »

Same here, just taking the cover off was bad enough. I even made a hash of that!  :-[

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 January 2007, 20:10:24 »

Same here, just taking the cover off was bad enough. I even made a hash of that!  :-[

The cambelt on the 4 pots is a peice of Piss, I have done many.

Its the  broken bolt that would worry me....

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 January 2007, 20:10:40 »

hate hitting anything with a chisel to make a groove! havent you got a dremmel? that would make a nice little groove  for the screwdriver to fit in??

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 January 2007, 20:17:21 »

hate hitting anything with a chisel to make a groove! havent you got a dremmel? that would make a nice little groove  for the screwdriver to fit in??

The problem there is, that back plate behind the cogs. The snapped nut does not stick out in front of the plate, it it does its barley 1mm i would end up cutting the plate, and that looks like strong stuff.

I will need the car on Sunday, as said before there are 2 other screws which hold the cover on, as well as 2 big clips at the top with the cable tray. These clips cover almost 50% of the top lip, and holds that top section of the cam cover very firmly.

Now i KNOW the correct way and proper way is to get that out, and replace it. But what do you all think about leaving it?

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 January 2007, 20:19:31 »

bolt it all fogether and try it buddy if it dont vibrate then it should be ok!!
O

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2007, 20:21:56 »

But what do you all think about leaving it?
I would like to see it replaced but do not know enough about that engine to know if it needs to be replaced.

I would certainly go to scrappy tomorrow to see if they have the bolt, just in case it comes out easy...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 January 2007, 20:26:16 »

on my project 2.0, the cam cover seemed very loose without this bolt, BUT.. felt OK with the tray clipped in, I'd have happily driven it.

I think I may have one of those bolts on my Donor car if you need one... free to a good home such as yours Tunnie :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.