Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 Advice  (Read 1495 times)

Damonsal

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
3.0 Advice
« on: 14 February 2007, 12:10:26 »

I have recently acquired a 1995/6 3.0 Elite but it has a few issues I want to sort out.

I have read through the forum but can’t get a definite answer on this one.

The first issue is that there is "tappet noise" when the engine is cold or has been idling a while. After I take it on a fast run it becomes quiet, but if left idle for a while the "tappet noise" reoccurs.
I have added Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter additive for a couple of weeks, given an oil flush and replaced the oil and filter with Mobil 1 full synthetic, but it hasn’t made any difference.
I also read this noise can be caused by a manifold leak? or are the lifters or cams had it?

Second issue is burning oil smell? but I believe this is the cam covers? so I will clean out the breather system and replace the cam cover gaskets and do the cam belt kit /water pump at the same time.

Third issue there is some brown sludge at the bottom on the header tank? Is this to be concerned too much about? The oil cooler is on the way out?
I was thinking of just doing a flush and refill?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 Advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2007, 12:31:56 »

Welcome to the forum.

Can't answer your questions I'm afraid, as I'm more used to 2.0/2.2's. but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to assist.

What sort of mileage has the car done?

I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2007, 12:34:32 »

your first issue sounds like exhaust manifold , I had a '95 3.0 Elite as a project car which had the same problem

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2007, 12:42:32 »

I have recently acquired a 1995/6 3.0 Elite but it has a few issues I want to sort out.

The first issue is that there is "tappet noise" when the engine is cold or has been idling a while. After I take it on a fast run it becomes quiet, but if left idle for a while the "tappet noise" reoccurs.
I have added Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter additive for a couple of weeks, given an oil flush and replaced the oil and filter with Mobil 1 full synthetic, but it hasn’t made any difference.
I also read this noise can be caused by a manifold leak? or are the lifters or cams had it?

Second issue is burning oil smell? but I believe this is the cam covers? so I will clean out the breather system and replace the cam cover gaskets and do the cam belt kit /water pump at the same time.

Third issue there is some brown sludge at the bottom on the header tank? Is this to be concerned too much about? The oil cooler is on the way out?

First issue:
Do you know when the last oil change was if not it maybe worth giving a go for peace of mind.

Second issue:
If oil is leaking from the cam covers then oil will not be circulating properly so worth doing before the oil change possibly part of the tappity problem and as you say give the breather system a good clean to prevent further cam cover gaskets replacements.

Third Issue:
If it was me I would do the oil cooler asap before the whole coolant system needs a flush ie the rad etc as it can be a pain to do.
Just a couple of Idea's if wrong someone more knowledgable will advise. :y
« Last Edit: 14 February 2007, 12:48:53 by nixoro »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2007, 12:47:00 »

But the main thing is...when was the cambelt and tensioners changed?

If you don't know, or are not sure, or if they were changed more than 40K ago, that needs to be the first priority.
I like red cars

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2007, 12:51:40 »

Maybe worth you reading the Buyers guide on here it may help to answer a few other questions you have.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152602457

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2007, 13:42:51 »

The sludge in bottom of header tank is slightly concerneing. Maybe has had oil cooler failure, now fixed, but not flushed properly?  Remove header tank, clean out, and put back on and see if reoccurs. If so, look towards changing oil cooler (assuming no sludge on dipstick).
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2007, 22:56:01 »

When my tensioner failed on the previous Omega, it initially sounded a bit like rattling tappets - the tensioner is located on the upper part of the engine so this could be misleading. It did however get worst very quickly. My concern is that if you tried Wynns and Mobil-1 (which is 0W-40 so very thin when cold) and the problems is not resolved, there may be more to it than just noisy tappets...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Damonsal

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2007, 08:59:47 »

Thank you for all your responses.

Markjay that is what worries me too.

The car has done 140k,  I have been reading through the service history and there is no cambelt replacement detailed but it did have a head rebuild at 100k which included exhaust valve replacement (so I am wondering if the belt snapped at that time).

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2007, 09:19:21 »

The car has done 140k,  I have been reading through the service history and there is no cambelt replacement detailed but it did have a head rebuild at 100k which included exhaust valve replacement (so I am wondering if the belt snapped at that time).

Sounds to me like the cambelt and tensioners need doing ASAP, if not sooner.

PM Robin Hood for the cambelt DVD (£3) and see if you fancy doing it yourself, it's not rocket science, and you will save yourself a boatload of money.
I like red cars

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2007, 23:41:49 »

I 'stole' this picture from the previous cambelt party thread held while on the other side, apologies if anyone recognises their car...

Red - Tensioner
Blue - Idler
Yellow - Water pump

This may help you to better identify where exactly the rattle is coming from.

« Last Edit: 15 February 2007, 23:43:34 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2007, 23:46:58 »

However - as suggested by others the cambelt and tensioner need doing asap regardless on where the noise is coming from - as the saying goes 'if in doubt, there's no doubt'.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2007, 09:34:41 »

as the saying goes 'if in doubt, there's no doubt'.

I thought it was .... if in doubt --- give it a clout!  ;)  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.