Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Printer Chat  (Read 17352 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Printer Chat
« Reply #105 on: 27 November 2022, 12:47:23 »

Is it their Xmas pressie?  If so, you need to wait for the big fat bloke to come down the chimney.

He'll be waiting a long time , I don't travel as far as Auckland to do roofing or chimney repairs   :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 27 November 2022, 15:11:32 »

Is it their Xmas pressie?  If so, you need to wait for the big fat bloke to come down the chimney.

He'll be waiting a long time , I don't travel as far as Auckland to do roofing or chimney repairs   :D
Bishop Auckland isn't too far up the M1 :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 28 November 2022, 07:10:56 »

26 hours via A380 .....
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 28 November 2022, 12:30:44 »

26 hours via A380 .....
;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 28 November 2022, 16:16:14 »

Creality are a great starting point, with loads of community support online, and reasonable results straight out of the box.  Start off with PLA filament, as that's usually the easiest, whilst you learn printer (well, software slicer) settings, and what's needed to make certain models print better :y

Hmm. Really must dust mine off and make something with it. ::)
Mine seems to be on non stop.  Currently its printing a new wheelie bar for one of my RC trucks, as the last one didn't survive a heavy landing on its jacksie...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 28 May 2023, 15:27:46 »

Oh darn.  Seems my printer has run out of magic smoke.

More on order from Ching Chong Chinaland.  Else it'll be a new printer.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 29 May 2023, 11:40:04 »

Finally took ours out of the box a couple of months ago.

First few prints worked like a charm (mostly rabbits and unicorns - don't ask....)

Then the weather changed - non stop rain, stupidly high humidity and a new roll of filament that came in a sealed bag but behaved as if it was DOA (damp on arrival)  :-\

So I went out and bought a heated 'dry box'. After about 24 hours off & on in the box normal service seems to have been restored  :y

First serious task is to print a case for an electronics project. Not quite right yet but so much better than trying to carve a plastic case to fit (as I have done since I first started messing with a soldering iron as a 10 year old :-)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 29 May 2023, 14:57:57 »

Never had that from a vacuum packed new reel. Wow.  I've had it from where I've put one back in a sealed bag (with a desiccant pack), but the bag never sealed, and PLA in particular goes ultra brittle.

I'm pretty good at removing spools and popping in a sealed bag if that colour/material isn't going to be used for a few days.

Yeah, I print little boxes all the time, it's very handy for that.  Especially where I live, and I can't just "pop to the shops".  Yesterday, I designed and was printing something like this, as easier/cheaper/faster than going to the shops -https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clamp-Garden-Irrigation-Hydroponics-Antelco/dp/B093TCKFT8/ref=asc_df_B093TCKFT8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=604575377976&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=328279861603038203&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007275&hvtargid=pla-1679251492024&psc=1
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 11 June 2023, 14:37:06 »

New driver modules arrived from Chin Chong Chinaland whilst I was away, so fitted 3 of them, only to find the remaining 2 had also failed, so good job I bought 5 ;D

Filament sensor also had been binding more and more, so took that apart and cleaned it up - the likely culprit was a bit of broken off filament inside on the filament path.

It's back, busy, beavering away.  Currently printing some stands for some wifi access point...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 30 July 2023, 17:29:04 »

Again, it let all the magic smoke out, and blew up 5 driver chips. Also blew up the model cooling fan.  Fortunately I have already bought another set of drivers, and already had a model cooling fan off the last extruder I melted :).

Suspecting the PSU, I wired in an old HPE gen8 PSU I had, which worked well, apart from it was taking forever to heat the extruder, and on fast, high flow prints, was getting runaway protection errors.  So I thought I'd better check the original PSU output, which was 24V.  No wonder the HPE 12v one was struggling.

So wired 2 HPE PSU's together (well, already had one sorted, as I use 24v to charge RC batteries), and that works fine now.

Ordered a new PSU from the land of Chow Mein.

In addition, I thought it was high time I bought a new printer, so now have a Creality K1 Max.  Which means I need to decide what to do with the old Artillery Sidewinder X1 once the new PSU arrives and is fitted....
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 30 July 2023, 19:48:00 »

I've been looking to get into printing for a while now. Mostly to do things like drawer organisers for sockets, spanners, drill bits etc as 'proper' ones seem like a fortune.

I must start writing my Christmas list....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 30 July 2023, 21:34:39 »

I've been looking to get into printing for a while now. Mostly to do things like drawer organisers for sockets, spanners, drill bits etc as 'proper' ones seem like a fortune.

I must start writing my Christmas list....
I've done some drawer organisers (but not for tools), and wall organisers for tools.

But if something is available to buy, and fits your needs, it's likely to be cheaper than printing it, especially as filament prices haven't dropped much since the spike during the pandemic.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 31 July 2023, 11:02:06 »

Its a bit of a mixed bag, there are some tool trays available for my Hellfrauds kit but I think these are OOP now and seem to fetch daft money on eBay.

Other than that, there are individual things like this from Sealey, but buying these for all the sh!t I've got would run well into three figures.

Ultimately I have lots of things I would use one for if I had it, I don't think it would 'save' me anything overall but I have quite a lot of hobby stuff for which having bespoke organisers and bits and pieces for. Also, if I ever get around to working on the kit car, I'd like to use it for prototyping various brackets, hangers etc before I break out the welder.

Lastly, I think they're a cool piece of technology, which is reason enough for me.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 31 July 2023, 17:43:31 »

I use mine as a bit of a hobby, and also because it's quicker than getting shite delivered here, like clips or brackets.  Plus I do a lot of bespoke stuff - it's currently printing a fan duct for a 12 cm fan to blow in the right places over a big heatsink.  The K1 Max records a Timelapse, so I'll post that up when it finishes, though its the first TPU print I've done on it, so it might be a molten mess when I go up and check it (8hr print, due to finish around 8pm)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 31 July 2023, 21:12:34 »

As promised, timelapse of an 8hr print of TPU...

https://theboy.omegaowners.com/oofpics/oof_odds_and_sods/1690798883.mp4

Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.