Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Used car prices getting stupid  (Read 7924 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Used car prices getting stupid
« on: 05 October 2021, 16:00:44 »

I told you a while back what my wife's car was valued at on autotrader. It's gone up again. 66 plate astra 1.6 cdti automatic. We paid £10,100 for it 3.5 years ago with around 9000 miles on it. It now has just short of 40,000 miles on it.

Crazy. But, of course, that's only a paper valuation. Whether someone would actually pay that.... :-\
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Used car prices getting stupid
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2021, 16:11:49 »

Those suggestions are usually on the low side of achievable values.

A chap at work recently walked away from '17? plate Nissan Joke and took out finance on a pre registered '20 plate Joke for the same monthly payment.

He recently had a call from the dealer saying that because his car had increased in value, they would give him an extra £3k as a deposit against a brand spankers one, for the same monthly payment.

Obviously there's a fiddle somewhere, and what he doesn't appreciate is that the term will be longer, but he is a bit, er, special... He's not too far from retiring and was kicking off about not earning enough during furlough to cover his bills, just been kicked down from 12 hours to 8, so buying a new car on finance would be insane, even with an imaginary £3k off :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2021, 16:16:10 »

A chap at work recently walked away from '17? plate Nissan Joke and took out finance on a pre registered '20 plate Joke for the same monthly payment.

He recently had a call from the dealer saying that because his car had increased in value, they would give him an extra £3k as a deposit against a brand spankers one, for the same monthly payment.

Obviously there's a fiddle somewhere, and what he doesn't appreciate is that the term will be longer, but he is a bit, er, special... He's not too far from retiring and was kicking off about not earning enough during furlough to cover his bills, just been kicked down from 12 hours to 8, so buying a new car on finance would be insane, even with an imaginary £3k off :-X
The 20 plate would not attract the 20% VAT, so the price difference between that and the new one should have been at least 30%.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2021, 16:16:54 »

The 20 plate would not attract the 20% VAT, so the price difference between that and the new one should have been at least 30%.
Like I said, special  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2021, 16:25:05 »

Diesel isn't very popular  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2021, 16:27:01 »

No, not to buy new. But I'll bet nearly half of the cars on British roads are diesel.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2021, 16:29:57 »

No, not to buy new. But I'll bet nearly half of the cars on British roads are diesel.
38% in 2020 is the best I can find without trying too hard.
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2021, 17:09:27 »

Works manager where I work left his Aston in at a dealership to have a minor oil leak fixed a few months ago.
The next day the dealership called him and made him an offer on the car. He said he had no sensible choice but to tell them to keep the car and transfer the money into his bank account.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2021, 17:31:58 »

I put the Mondeo into WBAC a couple of days ago......  and drumroll........ £500!  :D

How do they know it's a heap of shite though?  :-\                                                                          ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2021, 17:34:07 »

I put the Mondeo into WBAC a couple of days ago......  and drumroll........ £500!  :D

How do they know it's a heap of shite though?  :-\                                                                          ;D
And they'd probably knock you down to £400 when you got there. Not kidding.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2021, 18:38:41 »

My Jag was immaculate but they still knocked almost £1000 off their initial offer :(.......but this was still far higher than the offers from  Tata dealers. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2021, 18:41:51 »

My Jag was immaculate but they still knocked almost £1000 off their initial offer :(.......but this was still far higher than the offers from  Tata dealers. :y
Portacabins are significantly cheaper to run than the glass and marble emporiums that the franchises have to put up with...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2021, 18:49:38 »

And they'd probably knock you down to £200 when you got there. Not kidding.

Fixed that for you Uncle STEMO!  ;D

The bloody thermostat stuck open the other day on my way to look at a replacement.   >:(  ::)

I'm sure that it has feelings, it rendered itself un-partXable and every time I seriously think about getting rid something goes wrong with it.  :-\

It's the Devil's car!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2021, 18:55:03 »

And they'd probably knock you down to £200 when you got there. Not kidding.

Fixed that for you Uncle STEMO!  ;D

The bloody thermostat stuck open the other day on my way to look at a replacement.   >:(  ::)

I'm sure that it has feelings, it rendered itself un-partXable and every time I seriously think about getting rid something goes wrong with it.  :-\

It's the Devil's car!  :D
For the amount of money we're talking about, just keep it running as best you can and hope you don't have to pay ten grand for something like a diesel astra when it breaks.  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.