Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Highway Code Changes  (Read 4676 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Highway Code Changes
« on: 21 January 2022, 12:41:44 »

Seen this posted a few times today about £1000 fines for opening the car door wrong. :-\

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-highway-code-rule-fine-22818984?fbclid=IwAR3J3-71n_CZa7IUtasGZ3qq5xpNysGDWVfvDLQWaMUso5pqvfNL-bq5xf0

When are they changeing the rules that all wheeled vehicles must have insurance and the road user has been certified to use the roads correctly. :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Highway Code Changes
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2022, 17:33:22 »

it used to be in the highway code that when passing cars you should allow a doors width minimum . :-\
I've not read the HWC recently ,other than news items about changes .
I think there will be lots more accidents due to the latest mad rule changes,
 which are clearly being put in place to protect stupid people  :(
It's against Darwin's Law of Evolution

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2022, 17:33:36 »

Are we going to see hundreds of Police Officers deployed to observe drivers opening their car doors with the correct hand ?
What a load of boll ocks.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2022, 17:45:42 »

It has been offence to negligently open a car door and cause injury to any person for years.
This amendment to the Highway Code is try to prevent further injuries or accidents by trying to 'educate' drivers to check behind them before opening their car doors.
Nothing particularly new in my opinion.

"It is an offence to open, or cause or permit to be opened, a car door so as to injure or endanger anyone (section 105, The Roads Vehicles (Constructions and Use) Regulations 1986 and section 42, Road Traffic Act 1988)"

This is thus expressed as a ‘MUST’ in Rule 239 of the HC, which states that you “MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door”, with further advice to “check for cyclists or other traffic”.

This rule, however, is not well-known or publicised, and fails to adequately alert drivers to the specific risks to cyclists and motorcyclists if car doors are opened into the road without looking behind first.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2022, 17:48:49 »

Are we going to see hundreds of Police Officers deployed to observe drivers opening their car doors with the correct hand ?
Yes, Mick. I think we're starting to realise that everything from covid figures to rules of the road to percentage of people who are trans, etc, is absolute nonsense and bears no relation to the real world. The media are leading us on a merry dance and I, like you, am starting to take less and less notice of it.
Dangerous to take notice and dangerous to ignore, I suppose, but that's the way it is.
Diesel till I die

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2022, 17:49:14 »

Or has April 1st come round sooner than I thought....?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2022, 17:50:02 »

Very true :y

There are not enough traffic officers at the moment to police all the other breaches of law, but certain people in suits, in offices, obviously think there is! ::) ::) ::)

The situation with police number is slowly improving back to somewhere near 2010 levels, but they are a long way off of being able to man the number of patrol cars we need out there.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2022, 17:50:23 »

It has been offence to negligently open a car door and cause injury to any person for years.
This amendment to the Highway Code is try to prevent further injuries or accidents by trying to 'educate' drivers to check behind them before opening their car doors.

"It is an offence to open, or cause or permit to be opened, a car door so as to injure or endanger anyone (section 105, The Roads Vehicles (Constructions and Use) Regulations 1986 and section 42, Road Traffic Act 1988)"

This is thus expressed as a ‘MUST’ in Rule 239 of the HC, which states that you “MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door”, with further advice to “check for cyclists or other traffic”.

This rule, however, is not well-known or publicised, and fails to adequately alert drivers to the specific risks to cyclists and motorcyclists if car doors are opened into the road without looking behind first.
Who opens their car door without looking? Idiots. Will a media campaign make any difference to idiots? No.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2022, 17:53:31 »

Who opens their car door without looking? Idiots. Will a media campaign make any difference to idiots? No.
It is meant to make us change our ways and open doors with the left hand so the left arm goes across the right hand and arm forcing us to look behind and not just in our door mirrors.  I suppose we have to cater for all the idiots on the road! ;D ;D ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2022, 17:54:57 »

Very true :y

There are not enough traffic officers at the moment to police all the other breaches of law, but certain people in suits, in offices, obviously think there is! ::) ::) ::)

The situation with police number is slowly improving back to somewhere near 2010 levels, but they are a long way off of being able to man the number of patrol cars we need out there.
If there are not enough police to enforce the highway code then perhaps they should have an online self certification system so that stupid people who break the highway code can report themselves  :)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2022, 17:56:05 »

Yes, Mick. I think we're starting to realise that everything from covid figures to rules of the road to percentage of people who are trans, etc, is absolute nonsense and bears no relation to the real world. The media are leading us on a merry dance and I, like you, am starting to take less and less notice of it.
Dangerous to take notice and dangerous to ignore, I suppose, but that's the way it is.

My attitude now is I've got this far in life with a bit of commonsense & I simply refuse to be taken in  by all the nonsense being spouted by " educated idiots" facts & figures that simply cannot be proven one way or the other . I don't know if you have watched After Life ( Netflix ) but I am becoming more like the main character every day. 😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2022, 17:58:04 »

My attitude now is I've got this far in life with a bit of commonsense & I simply refuse to be taken in  by all the nonsense being spouted by " educated idiots" facts & figures that simply cannot be proven one way or the other . I don't know if you have watched After Life ( Netflix ) but I am becoming more like the main character every day. 😄
I've been like that all my life......never did me any harm  ;D
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2022, 17:58:20 »

Common sence says you allways check before you open a door.

What hacks me off is the fact that 90% of cyclists abuse the roads & traffic lights and pedestians just walk across a junction with a phone against thier ear and dont even look where they are going.  I can just imagine the attitude change with the new laws. :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2022, 18:00:35 »

Common sence says you allways check before you open a door.

What hacks me off is the fact that 90% of cyclists abuse the roads & traffic lights and pedestians just walk across a junction with a phone against thier ear and dont even look where they are going.  I can just imagine the attitude change with the new laws. :-X
Highway Code rule number 101: If you knock a cyclist off his bike, stop, return to the scene of the accident and wrench his go pro from his helmet while he lies moaning on the ground.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2022, 18:03:26 »

When I did my driving course for the LAS my instructor said if you treat every other motorist as a complete idiot you won't go far wrong, words I've remembered for 45 years , and it's worked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.