ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
sealant
« on: 02 February 2008, 15:45:13 »

Due to a rather stupid slip of the hand i have managed to drop a small bolt down into the crank case of a v6 that i am preparing to transplant into my brother inlaws car. :( It went down the hole below the crankcase vapour trap at the back of the r/hand cylinder bank.

Now to remove the said bolt i am going to have to remove the sump pan main casting and remove the oil baffle to get to it.  i know there is a seal to be replaced but i need to know what sealant i will need to refit it back together. is it the same as the black goo used on the cam covers, HELP PLEASE,  Stupid from Mitcham. ::)
« Last Edit: 02 February 2008, 17:51:52 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re:  sealant
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2008, 16:43:28 »

Firstly, afaik there is no gasket as such, just sealant that needs to be applied in a specific way (detailed in TIS2000), though i am not sure if this is the case only for later cars or for all of them.

Secondly, maybe you could try one of them very long and flexible tools with magnet at the end, sticking it into the sump through the dipstick hole?
Alas, no more Omegas....

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2008, 16:50:21 »

There is a rubber seal that sits in a machined grove in the crankcase and i need to use a sealant as well. I have a diagram to show where to put the sealant but i need a part no for the back goo. I have tried the bendy thing with a magnet but no luck ::)

Come on mark dtm your the man in the know!!! :y
« Last Edit: 02 February 2008, 17:31:01 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2008, 19:37:12 »

I think the upper and lower sumps are sealed with the same goo as the oil cooler plate, grey and very sticky. There was a rubber seal on early engines but now superseded by goo.
You must clean the flanges well and degrease with cellulose thinners before applying the sealant.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2008, 22:38:26 »

Up date on this thread is as follows, I managed to get the bolt out of the crankcase the following day with a telescopic magnet on the 3rd attempt so good news there. I still MAY have to take the main sump casting off as the engine is going into a veccy b and the sump is different but which bit is different, is it the lower part or all? Gary :y
Jaguar XJ6
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.