Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the time  (Read 1286 times)

miggy

Whats the time
« on: 21 January 2008, 22:17:17 »

cem_devecioglu

Re: Whats the time
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2008, 22:18:52 »

;D ;D

by the way +2 here

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2008, 22:23:01 »

Time for your tablets Pete  :D
Is the world ready for me..

miggy

« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2008, 22:23:54 »

Time for your tablets Pete  :D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2008, 22:36:51 »

Whats the time

Funny you should say that...

I've just finished a little project. Yes, it might have been more constructive to have been LPGing my Omega or something but I fancied picking up the soldering iron, so I made myself a little clock...

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2008, 22:38:01 »

Whats the time

I've just finished a little project. Yes, it might have been more constructive to have been LPGing my Omega or something but I fancied picking up the soldering iron, so I made myself a little clock...

Kevin

Wow.. :o

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2008, 22:39:28 »

Bit cool that. :y :y :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2008, 22:42:32 »

Whats the time

Kevin

I like that.

Want to share??

miggy

« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2008, 22:45:48 »

Whats the time

Kevin

Orders are coming.. ;D ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2008, 22:50:36 »

Dead smart, I'll have one :y
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2008, 23:04:34 »

I like that.

Want to share??

Certainly...

It uses Nixie tubes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tubes. A totally obsolete display device from the days before LCDs, LEDs, etc. About the only thing I can remember them being used in is petrol pumps when I first started driving.

Mrs. KW saw one a couple of years ago and took a shine to it so I bought some tubes and they've been languishing in my junk box for a while. Anyway, you can get the tubes and kits to build clocks on ebay but I decided to roll my own circuitry to drive them.

Worst part was soldering up all the connecting wires. 10 individual segments in each tube to wire up, one for each digit 0-9 ::) Started to wish I'd just bought a kit with a printed circuit board. Because they are effectively little neon bulbs they need a supply of 185v dc so there's a little converter to knock up the 12 volts from a mains adaptor to power them and there's a microcontroller in there to keep the time and drive the displays.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2008, 23:07:11 »

I like that.

Want to share??

Certainly...

It uses Nixie tubes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tubes. A totally obsolete display device from the days before LCDs, LEDs, etc. About the only thing I can remember them being used in is petrol pumps when I first started driving.

Mrs. KW saw one a couple of years ago and took a shine to it so I bought some tubes and they've been languishing in my junk box for a while. Anyway, you can get the tubes and kits to build clocks on ebay but I decided to roll my own circuitry to drive them.

Worst part was soldering up all the connecting wires. 10 individual segments in each tube to wire up, one for each digit 0-9 ::) Started to wish I'd just bought a kit with a printed circuit board. Because they are effectively little neon bulbs they need a supply of 185v dc so there's a little converter to knock up the 12 volts from a mains adaptor to power them and there's a microcontroller in there to keep the time and drive the displays.

Kevin

Kewin Wood classic :y

miggy

« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2008, 23:07:57 »

I like that.

Want to share??

Certainly...

Kevin

That seems straight forward enough... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2008, 23:08:22 »

I like that.

Want to share??

Certainly...

Kevin

Yep, I understood all of that! not.
 :) :) :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2008, 23:17:52 »

Plenty of kits around to build these if you fancy having a go. Just need a soldering iron.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=nixie+clock+kit

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.