Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Chevy v8 for the uk?  (Read 2557 times)

feeutfo

A Chevy v8 for the uk?
« on: 16 February 2013, 09:09:49 »

Seeing as we have Chevrolet dealers, could we be getting this in the uk?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/2014-chevrolet-ss-performance-sedan-racing-dna-116415/

Shame they've taken the styling from the totally gay insignia. But there we are! :-\

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: A Chevy v8 for the uk?
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2013, 09:25:53 »

Seeing as we have Chevrolet dealers, could we be getting this in the uk?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/2014-chevrolet-ss-performance-sedan-racing-dna-116415/

Shame they've taken the styling from the totally gay insignia. But there we are! :-\

+1 :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2013, 10:11:07 »

Would be nice, but bet it will turn out like 300c?

As you can get the V8 Hemi version of that here

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2013, 11:06:34 »

Would be nice, but bet it will turn out like 300c?

As you can get the V8 Hemi version of that here
Why? It's a Holden comadore with different bumpers effectively.

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2013, 11:08:47 »

I bet it won't turn up over here .. we don't get many of the 'fun' American cars imported in RHD guise; I mean, if there was much of a market for it, Corvette would have done it years ago, I reckon..

Although it is GM so maybe. If they weren't flat broke.. ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2013, 11:15:21 »

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't offer the whole range. 3.6 or diesel alternatives with an Estate as well.

How else are GM going to take on the BMW/Mercs of this world ...? Such a large car maker, and no ambition. :(

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2013, 11:30:48 »

...........if it does come to the Uk, no RHD version if the Camero is anything to go by.....

And also lots of speculation that there will be no manual Transmission either (as well as 4WD which seems more of a big thing to the thread posting forum members from what I could see).

VXR8 or a left hooker it would seem....... :-\
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2013, 11:40:07 »

The Holden VF SS-V looks really nice. (Go to the home page of GM insider and scroll down a bit)

A much more civilised look to the VXR8 I think.
Wonder if you'll be able to import via the select few VXR8 dealers?

(Rummages around for a lottery entry ticket....)

Sigh ::) ::)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2013, 11:59:07 »

Cts v didn't get right hand drive, but then they didn't make many.

This looks a bit more main stream to me. The chrome grill and wheels on some models seem more European bound to me.

Plus, I thought Vauxhall didn't announce four wheel drive on the insignia until late in the day...? :-\ ...although, development on that would be expensive I guess. But on the other hand, wouldn't the current v8 markets of New Zealand, Aus, USA, Emirates offer similar sales opportunities...?

Add in GM's fuel injection management that shuts down pairs of cylinders to save fuel, what ever its called, and Vauxhall and Holdens lpg initiative, the answers are all there to make it happen.

Just needs gm to get on with it, IMO.

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2013, 12:11:28 »

Just been following links from GM insider.

If you go to the Holden site (NOT the HSV site) you can see the launch release video.

The new Holden is being released thin the US as the new Chevy V8 (ie built in Oz and exported there)

So maybe the right hand drive option won't be a problem, although I'd imagine that potential purchasers will be directed to VXR8 dealerships.......

I think the standard Holdens are much more attractive that the HSV ones (Chrome and all!) .

Come the lottery Holden it is for rear wheel drive V8 driving!

Yum Yum :y :y
« Last Edit: 16 February 2013, 12:15:35 by MV6Matt »
(thanks Ian)

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2013, 12:15:12 »

Yes just copied this link. Look at the styling on the new commadore for Aus. Jag sides, insignia front and rear with BMW copy wheels. It's all European stuff, and that's just the outside.

But will we get it?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/no-compromise-new-vf-holden-commodore-revealed-116268/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2013, 13:42:38 »

The trouble is, and in all our enthusiasm for an V8 engine, we forget that the price of petrol in the US is, at around $3.60/$3.70 per gallon a lot cheaper than our fuel.

It means that any V8 in mass production, of right hand drive, just will not sell in the numbers Chrysler or any other car manufacturer can justify.

Just my thought, but V8 engines in the UK are in a very niche market, and in a car that appears as it does in the links, ugly, Merc's and BMW's will leave it standing all round. ;)

PS The Chrysler 300C 3.0 CRD V6 Executive, that big macho beast only comes in a V6 and numbers on the road are small.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2013, 13:45:36 by Lizzie Zoom »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2013, 13:54:23 »

The trouble is, and in all our enthusiasm for an V8 engine, we forget that the price of petrol in the US is, at around $3.60/$3.70 per gallon a lot cheaper than our fuel.

It means that any V8 in mass production, of right hand drive, just will not sell in the numbers Chrysler or any other car manufacturer can justify.

Just my thought, but V8 engines in the UK are in a very niche market, and in a car that appears as it does in the links, ugly, Merc's and BMW's will leave it standing all round. ;)

PS The Chrysler 300C 3.0 CRD V6 Executive, that big macho beast only comes in a V6 and numbers on the road are small.

Not so Lizzie, did come to the UK with a Hemi V8:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302115287416/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/5lplus/model/300c/make/chrysler/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/nn136er/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2013, 14:26:34 »

Now that is nice and ticks all the boxes as an Omega replacement :y :y

Please GM, bring it to the UK ;D ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2013, 15:56:57 »

Not so Lizzie, did come to the UK with a Hemi V8:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302115287416/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/5lplus/model/300c/make/chrysler/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/nn136er/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Thanks Tunnie, I didn't know that :y :y :y

However, as I have not seen one of those on my travels I think it proves how limited the market must be for V8's.  As I said a niche market. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2013, 16:04:57 »

Quite a few 300c's around, spotted quite few Hemi ones in London.

V8 ones just have a tiny badge, so bit of a sleeper  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2013, 16:54:07 »

Quite a few 300c's around, spotted quite few Hemi ones in London.

V8 ones just have a tiny badge, so bit of a sleeper  :y

The latest version of it is diesel only isn't it ???(over here)

http://www.chrysler.co.uk/300c
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2013, 17:15:09 »

I'd buy the Chevvy :y

The Chrysler handling as a long way short of woeful :'( in fact, I would go as far as saying that its handling is poor enough to make a worn out Mk2 Granada feel tighter than a tight thing ;D

Assuming that Chevrolet is the Holden VF, you can pretty much guarantee an estate version :y Not sure about the interior, but the outside is a bit less bland than the base Holden VE :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2013, 18:10:53 »

The Chrysler handling as a long way short of woeful :'( in fact, I would go as far as saying that its handling is poor enough to make a worn out Mk2 Granada feel tighter than a tight thing ;D

Assuming that Chevrolet is the Holden VF, you can pretty much guarantee an estate version :y Not sure about the interior, but the outside is a bit less bland than the base Holden VE :-\

Fingers crossed ;) ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2013, 18:11:33 »

The AWD issue is a big one for US market. Every premium manufacturer offers an AWD version of most models.

BMW offer it on the 3,5 and 7 series, Mercedes offer it on the E, CLS, S and CL, and VW/Audi on pretty much everything they cobble together :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2013, 18:48:51 »

Like that Chevy! Quite understated but the joy of having a V8 under your foot when you wanted it  8) 8) 8) 8)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2013, 18:57:31 »

Fingers crossed ;) ;)
Oohohoooo yes please. Really like the estate version of the comadore. :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 February 2013, 18:59:54 »

The AWD issue is a big one for US market. Every premium manufacturer offers an AWD version of most models.

BMW offer it on the 3,5 and 7 series, Mercedes offer it on the E, CLS, S and CL, and VW/Audi on pretty much everything they cobble together :y

So... Not such an issue here, although I must admit I would be tempted to go down the AWD route if available ::)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2013, 19:56:30 »

:o I wasnt aware of that. But there must be a demand, for them to offer it on a lowly 320i. Wonder why?
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2013, 20:06:08 »

Doubt this is true, But it's not that bad of a looking car ?
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B5219A5436606F1ACA257A450020A3C5

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2013, 20:18:41 »

RIP Paul Lovejoy

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2013, 22:45:52 »

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B5219A5436606F1ACA257A450020A3C5

Nah, the Commodore is vastly superior that that!
(thanks Ian)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2013, 00:20:47 »

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 17 February 2013, 00:32:55 »

Looks like a crappy CTS.
See, this is what I mean. A half arsed attempt at cutting down the ugly tree while sat at the top of the self same aforementioned ugly tree. It might be rear wheel drive, but who's going to buy that pile  of crap against what the Germans offer...?

Ok, it might even be a decent car under that pig ugly exterior, but nobody will care when it looks like a mutant experiment. (Biiiig loooong siiiiiiiiiiiiigh ::) )

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 February 2013, 00:49:47 »

Looks like a crappy CTS.
See, this is what I mean. A half arsed attempt at cutting down the ugly tree while sat at the top of the self same aforementioned ugly tree. It might be rear wheel drive, but who's going to buy that pile  of crap against what the Germans offer...?

Ok, it might even be a decent car under that pig ugly exterior, but nobody will care when it looks like a mutant experiment. (Biiiig loooong siiiiiiiiiiiiigh ::) )

It's quite common knowledge that VX are very good at making shitty small euro-boxes to compete against the likes of Shitroen and Pukegeot.  They still cant outsell a Ford in the small market.

As for larger cars, nothing is going to beat BMW, Merc & VAG in real terms, no matter what it looks like.  GM are not a big player.

GM are not a big player (I typed it twice for conviction).
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

feeutfo

« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2013, 00:54:32 »

Looks like a crappy CTS.

It's quite common knowledge that VX are very good at making shitty small euro-boxes to compete against the likes of Shitroen and Pukegeot.  They still cant outsell a Ford in the small market.

As for larger cars, nothing is going to beat BMW, Merc & VAG in real terms, no matter what it looks like.  GM are not a big player.

GM are not a big player (I typed it twice for conviction).

I thought I just said that. (Turns to everyone and asks) I did, I did just say that didn't I?(everyone nods agreeingly) yes I thought I did.

That's why they need to bring a decent motor into Europe! :)

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 17 February 2013, 01:14:41 »

You did and they should ::)

If they want to save money, they could relaunch the Omega with a broader range of engines :-\

They should just import the Commodore range and be done with it :y

The Calais would give BMW and Mercedes a run for their money, but they need a decent diesel for that, say a twin turbo 3.0 v6...

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2013, 15:20:53 »

But who would buy the relaunched Omega? Unless it was significantly cheaper or better made or faster or sportier or something significantly different than BMW/Merc/Audi etc.

I dont think there are too many people on the site who bought a new Omega back in the day? Even though everyone says GM should relaunch the Omega, what they truly mean is: I hope GM launch a car now that is big comfortable RWD with toys but isn't quite as good as the competition, so that it depreciates like a stone and hence I could pick up  bargain in 5 years time to replace my fast dying out old Omega.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2013, 16:27:41 »

But who would buy the relaunched Omega? Unless it was significantly cheaper or better made or faster or sportier or something significantly different than BMW/Merc/Audi etc.

I dont think there are too many people on the site who bought a new Omega back in the day? Even though everyone says GM should relaunch the Omega, what they truly mean is: I hope GM launch a car now that is big comfortable RWD with toys but isn't quite as good as the competition, so that it depreciates like a stone and hence I could pick up  bargain in 5 years time to replace my fast dying out old Omega.
...and? :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.