Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re Commissioning old HiFI speakers  (Read 597 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re Commissioning old HiFI speakers
« on: 15 January 2017, 15:29:14 »

As a few know, I love my Hifi and had a lovely sounding setup until my dog decided when excited to thrash the 2 drivers on one unit with his tail too many times and destroyed the speaker cones  :'( :'(

Okay, after coming the closest i've ever come to hurting a animal  :-[,  these speakers was wrapped up and retired to the back corner of the living room because I just didn't have the heart to bin them and were replaced with another newer pair which even though sounding excellent, I never really got on with them  :(

I've been scouring the internet on and off for a few years for reasonably priced spares and since Christmas, I've managed to pick up a pair of battered version of my speakers and another spare still in its box  :y :y

Right that's the background, this is the question ...............

The ones i'm going to re commission are Mission 734's which have 2, 7 inch main drivers and a soft dome tweeter.
The parts came out of a pair of Mission 732's use the exact same main driver but in a 2 way configuration with a smaller case.

The replacement speakers are at this moment running in the same case and humming away to some music at a very low volume but  significantly sound different the other one.

Okay, I know my set have been sat at the back for years and the new spares have come from cases that was running last week so what's the best way to sort this .........

1/.   Leave it now and run them in very slowly at low volumes to bring the old tight 734 back to life ?
OR
2/.   Pull all the drivers, fit the 2 off the 732's into the mid range holes in the larger cases and fit the drivers that have been stood for a few years into the bass position ?

Either way, I know i'm going to have to be very gentle with these for a few weeks  :( ;)

IF I can get these back running how I like them, I will have a very nice pair of Mission 74's that need a loving home  ;)
Pm me for pictures if interested.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
Re: Re Commissioning old HiFI speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2017, 15:55:55 »

Mission 734s are only 100 notes on ebay complete and in good nick...

Ditton 44s/66s. The only way to roll  8)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.