Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 221440 times)

alunonhisown

Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #135 on: 19 March 2010, 16:21:47 »

Well, I think I have seen the converted bus that is 'Towing' and the bus at the rear of the main bus is in my opinion an old RVDC bus. The rest of it I am at a loss. My ££££ are on Byron telling us. Is HWO a Newport Registration Number? I had a motorcycle from Newport (Blackwood) and the number on that was EWO177V, so my guess it is in the old Islwyn Borough Council Depot.

I will have to give Sethsmate a chance, Di.
Clue for location......................... near an island.
Ps they have already converted the building, last year. Oooops :-[
Gotta be BARRY then.

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
  • Veccy with a Miggy engine..............
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 19 March 2010, 16:27:26 »

Well, I think I have seen the converted bus that is 'Towing' and the bus at the rear of the main bus is in my opinion an old RVDC bus. The rest of it I am at a loss. My ££££ are on Byron telling us. Is HWO a Newport Registration Number? I had a motorcycle from Newport (Blackwood) and the number on that was EWO177V, so my guess it is in the old Islwyn Borough Council Depot.

Gotta be BARRY then.

Give that lady a prize :y
There is a link, which I will post soon, explaining :y
What did you think of my home town buses then? 8-) 8-)
Thank you for reading this. I’ve officially wasted your time!

alunonhisown

« Reply #137 on: 19 March 2010, 17:12:57 »

Gotta be BARRY then.

Give that lady a prize :y
There is a link, which I will post soon, explaining :y
What did you think of my home town buses then? 8-) 8-)
I just love buses, no matter which town they are from, but I try and savour the Welsh Bus Circuit. A lot of them bring back memories. I bet Byron cannot remember Tudor Davies's buses from Bedlinog. I remember them on the Deep Navigation and Taff Merthyr colliery runs when I was a saucepan. There is also a story to be told there, but that is for a pm and not for broadcast as it may be a little long winded.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 19 March 2010, 17:20:06 »

Okay, okay, okay ..........

The location is the former Western Welsh depot at Barry - now a bus museum project.

Centre-stage in the photo is an ex-Red & White 1950 Leyland Tiger PS1 with rare Lydney Coachworks body, which can easily be mistaken for the contemporary Duple A-type offering.

Behind it is a former RVDC Bristol RESL6G with ECW body.

To the right is one of the former National Welsh Leyland Leopards of the 1971 batch which were converted to towing buses, and allocated to most of the depots. I think that the one pictured here had been with 60-60 coaches at Merthyr for a while.

To the left of the R&W PS1 is former Western Welsh 177.
Registered OUH 177G, it was once the sole coach allocated to my home depot at Bridgend.
It's from the 1969 delivery, and is a 36' Leyland Leopard with Plaxton Panorama Elite body, Eaton 2-speed rear axle and no power steering!
I fitted a reconditioned Leyland 0.600 engine into it, prepared it for MoT; and after a successful pass it was immediately withdrawn and sold to Dunvant School in Swansea.
It's presently finished in the fabulous Peacock Blue/Royal Ivory livery as delivered.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 19 March 2010, 17:26:46 »

Gotta be BARRY then.
Red & White's head office and Central Workshops were located at Bulwark, Chepstow, which was then in the county of Monmouthshire.
Consequently, it's new buses were registered in that county, and had AX and WO plates.

You mention 'island' .....
By coincidence, there's also a bus museum at Canvey Island in Essex!
Think it's called the Castle Point Transport Museum - or similar.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2010, 17:30:33 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

alunonhisown

« Reply #140 on: 19 March 2010, 17:28:30 »

The location is the former Western Welsh depot at Barry - now a bus museum project.

Centre-stage in the photo is an ex-Red & White 1950 Leyland Tiger PS1 with rare Lydney Coachworks body, which can easily be mistaken for the contemporary Duple A-type offering.

To the right is one of the former National Welsh Leyland Leopards of the 1971 batch which were converted to towing buses, and allocated to most of the depots. I think that the one pictured here had been with 60-60 coaches at Merthyr for a while.

Registered OUH 177G, it was once the sole coach allocated to my home depot at Bridgend.
It's from the 1969 delivery, and is a 36' Leyland Leopard with Plaxton Panorama Elite body, Eaton 2-speed rear axle and no power steering!
I fitted a reconditioned Leyland 0.600 engine into it, prepared it for MoT; and after a successful pass it was immediately withdrawn and sold to Dunvant School in Swansea.
It's presently finished in the fabulous Peacock Blue/Royal Ivory livery as delivered.
I fekking knew I had seen it before.YESSSS :y :y :y :y

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 19 March 2010, 17:29:37 »

Red & White Leyland Tiger

Preserved Red & White Leyland Tiger with Lydney Coachworks bodywork, HWO323, in the former Western Welsh depot at Barry, South Wales on 14th June 2009. The depot is now being converted to a bus museum by the Cardiff Transport Preservation Group.

Jeeze I was only asking about the Red one!!!! ;) ;)

Did you see the link I posted for my local area? :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #142 on: 19 March 2010, 17:59:01 »

Gotta be BARRY then.

Only thing at Barry I know if is the famous scrap yard

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 19 March 2010, 18:01:20 »

Yep - Dai Woodham's - long gone now :y

alunonhisown

« Reply #144 on: 19 March 2010, 18:05:26 »

My late brother bought Swansea Vale No1 from Mr Woodham. It is I believe fully restored on the Gwili Railway.

alunonhisown

« Reply #145 on: 19 March 2010, 18:10:39 »

Dai Woodham, MBE, BEM I'll have you know. (1919 - 12 September 1994) RIP!!!!!! Good Man

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 19 March 2010, 18:12:44 »

There was also Bill Way's scrapyard at Cardiff Docks.
Many buses ended their days there, though long gone now :y

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 19 March 2010, 18:45:11 »

My  ex wifes uncle used to live in Cardiff! In Blackwier, North Rd No 59.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&oq=blackwier&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB357GB366&q=blackweir+cardiff&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Blackweir,+Cardiff,+South+Glamorgan&gl=uk&ei=ksGjS7jKJob80wTwheXxCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA
Which is why I'm interested in your banter for this area :y I know it  well :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #148 on: 19 March 2010, 18:52:10 »

When was that in operation? :-/

I wish I had known during my trips to Dia Woodhams yard in the late 70s, early 80s.  I would definately been intrested in seeing a bus scrap yard 8-) 8-) 8-)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 19 March 2010, 19:16:05 »

When was that in operation? :-/

I wish I had known during my trips to Dia Woodhams yard in the late 70s, early 80s.  I would definately been intrested in seeing a bus scrap yard 8-) 8-) 8-)
Certainly up until the late-1970s :y
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.