Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm going off  (Read 3954 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm going off
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2019, 14:59:14 »

Ok thanks, all was quiet last night thank goodness and I will spend some time tinkering over the festive period to make it safe.
As said just unplug the Bonnet Sensor, Bin the Power Sounder asap.  :y

As a temp measure, assuming the car is parked somewhere secure, ish, Lock the Drivers Door by pushing the button down on the Drivers Door via the rear Door, that will lock the Car (not Dead Locked) and stop the Alarm from being activated until you get it sorted.   ;)

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2019, 18:06:18 »

Is a quick and nasty solution to cut the lead from the car battery +ve to the powersounder? 

The powersounder will now sound as it is detecting the car battery voltage.  After it has run its battery flat you will not have any more trouble from it.  Tape up the cut wire in the loom.

Even if the flat battery in the powersounder carries on corroding it does not have any power to cause a fire.

I have read that insurance surveyors often now look to see if a stolen Omega has had the powersounder removed and a casual glance would not spot this change.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2019, 19:23:53 »

Do insurance surveyors look at Omegas is it worth their time Bearing in mind the value of the car.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 December 2019, 21:15:33 »

I have read that insurance surveyors often now look to see if a stolen Omega has had the powersounder removed and a casual glance would not spot this change.

If that was a concern, for the very little time it takes, you could always remove the powersounder, cut it in half, gut it and tape it back together and put it back. Visually it would still be there if anyone pulled the grommet and peered inside the hole. Personally, when mine chirped at me it was leaving the building.
I do see what you are saying though as the radio guru Dave DND posted a warning regarding the Thatcham category insurance breach if you remove it. It was saved as a sticky in the Electical area I believe.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2020, 11:32:17 »

If that was a concern, for the very little time it takes, you could always remove the powersounder, cut it in half, gut it and tape it back together and put it back. Visually it would still be there if anyone pulled the grommet and peered inside the hole. Personally, when mine chirped at me it was leaving the building.
I do see what you are saying though as the radio guru Dave DND posted a warning regarding the Thatcham category insurance breach if you remove it. It was saved as a sticky in the Electical area I believe.
Are there any implications to reconnecting the bonnet switch no that the power sounder is out? Incidentally, the sounder didn't make any sound at all when I disconnected it, I was prepared with ear defenders on and everything!
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2020, 12:13:43 »

Are there any implications to reconnecting the bonnet switch no that the power sounder is out? Incidentally, the sounder didn't make any sound at all when I disconnected it, I was prepared with ear defenders on and everything!

Now that the powersounder has been removed, the risk of fire has been removed. If the bonnet switch is in the correct position the alarm will still function properly without the sounder, it will sound a seperate horn (not the car horns) when a sensor is triggered. The powersounder function is merely to detect when the main battery power is disconnected during a break in, so no, there are no implications from reconnecting the bonnet switch with the sounder removed if the switch is positioned correctly.
The sounder can be removed within about fifteen seconds of ignition being switched off without sounding. If it was longer than this it was definitely faulty anyway.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2020, 10:18:05 »

I would say it was longer than that, because it took ages to get the wiper arms off...but I'd also disconnected the car battery anyway.  When the car alarm had been going off for no reason it sounded just like the car horn sounding off in time with the hazards. It hasn't happened since the bonnet switch has been disconnected, so I am a bit reluctant to plug it back in now.  I had thought the alarm was all down to the power-sounder.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2020, 12:08:28 »

The sounder can be removed within about fifteen seconds of ignition being switched off without sounding. If it was longer than this it was definitely faulty anyway.

I've just re-read what I'd written above and I should have written "The powersounder shouldn't sound if the main car battery is disconnected within about fifteen seconds of switching the ignition off". Once you have done this you have all the time in the world to remove the sounder. Sorry if that was misleading.  :-[
The alarm horn is close to the powersounder so you may have seen it when the scuttle was lifted.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2020, 19:18:46 »

Have had the Fawlty power Sounder, and lost a car because of of one,, even the fire brigade couldn't save it,, was a sad loss.
 So remove power Sounder, unless you wish to lose that nice car.
Hoof'land storeman.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2020, 13:25:11 »

Have had the Fawlty power Sounder, and lost a car because of of one,, even the fire brigade couldn't save it,, was a sad loss.
 So remove power Sounder, unless you wish to lose that nice car.
Thanks it's gone.  It might get refitted in "safe" mode with guts removed, if ever an agreed value insurance demands it.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2020, 15:16:53 »

Is there an easy way to check if the power-sounder has already been removed/disabled or not?
Without removing the wiper arms and scuttle, I mean.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2020, 16:53:04 »

Is there an easy way to check if the power-sounder has already been removed/disabled or not?
Without removing the wiper arms and scuttle, I mean.

There is a deep rubber grommet in the offside scuttle area that is right next to it. You can stick your finger in the grommet and pull it out completely (after you've removed the leaves  ::) ). Either poke your finger in the hole to feel if it's still there or shine a torch in the hole. If the holding bracket has nothing attached to it then it has been removed. You may also see a small, hopefully taped up multi-plug on the end of a floating wire.
As for disabled, the wire would be loose in the hole, as the multi-plug would have nothing to attach to. I would like to think that nobody would just unplug it, and still leave it in situ without gutting it first.  :-\
Hope that helps.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2020, 17:21:42 »

Undo the single torx screw on the scuttle next to the brake reservoir and lift it slightly, although it is visible without.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.