Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedding in brakes and MOT  (Read 2626 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Bedding in brakes and MOT
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2010, 00:47:12 »

they need bedding in.

if you do a full disc and pad change all round the brakes are especially rubbish so much so that even after a good smoking (residual protection oils) i still feel it best to whack a sticker on the dash advising of poor performance.

next time you see the motor the brakes are spot on again.

There should be no protection oil remaining, if fitted correctly.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2010, 00:49:22 »

they need bedding in.

define 'bedding in' to me then ....... I must've been doing it wrong for the last 30 years  :-?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2010, 13:54:30 »

After replacing the pads and dics on my Senator, how do i go about bedding in the brakes .....

new discs & pads are virtually bedded in straight from the box. The faces of both the disc & pad are flat ..... how much bedding in do you need?  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)   :y

Sorry Andy, cant agree with that at all.

I put new disks and pads on my GLS a while back and as good as they were straight out of th box at low speed I had no confidence in them at high speed.  I build the heat and braking cyles up carefully and then I was happy with them after about 100/110 miles

Same again on the Elite, genuine Vx disks and pads, not as good as the others out of the box, took my time bedding them in, came good after about 90 miles, were ok for notmal driving in the first 90 miles just not spirited driving incase they were called upon in an emergency.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2010, 13:54:33 »

You don't want to get them smoking on brand new pads either. Just enough gentle braking to get them working with some degree of efficiency. Get a few hundred gentle miles on them before you start heating them up.

I would be surprised if it fails but I believe you can ask for a road test under certain circumstances.

Kevin

I wont question your awesome, seldom wrong info, but I doubt you'll find an MOT tester nowadays who knows how to 'road-test' a car, let alone agree to do it immediately after it has failed a roller brake test.  ;D

??? :-? :-? :-? :-?

All MOT testers can drive... The "Road Test" for brakes is a decellerometer test... Drive in a straight line, has to meet a certain "Rate" dependant on car and pull in a straight line.... Simple!

It is (or should I say was) part of the Testers training when I did it several years back as most places can't put a proper 4x4 on the rollers ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2010, 13:56:57 »

After replacing the pads and dics on my Senator, how do i go about bedding in the brakes .....

new discs & pads are virtually bedded in straight from the box. The faces of both the disc & pad are flat ..... how much bedding in do you need?  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)   :y

Sorry Andy, cant agree with that at all.

I put new disks and pads on my GLS a while back and as good as they were straight out of th box at low speed I had no confidence in them at high speed.  I build the heat and braking cyles up carefully and then I was happy with them after about 100/110 miles

Same again on the Elite, genuine Vx disks and pads, not as good as the others out of the box, took my time bedding them in, came good after about 90 miles, were ok for notmal driving in the first 90 miles just not spirited driving incase they were called upon in an emergency.

I agree that they aren't at peak efficiency "out of the box" but are good enough to pass a MOT test ;)

I always advised 200 miles of gentle to moderate braking for bedding in when in the garage with a further 300 miles of caution :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2010, 14:01:40 »

I agree that they aren't at peak efficiency "out of the box" but are good enough to pass a MOT test ;)

I always advised 200 miles of gentle to moderate braking for bedding in when in the garage with a further 300 miles of caution :y[/quote]

Yes would agree, 50/100 miles of short heat cycles. then montitor as feel they progress.

A golden (unwritten) rule - Never fit new brakes the day before a holday or towing with a van and risk all your family whilst bedding in brakes, do it at least 500 miles before hand
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2010, 14:11:04 »

A golden (unwritten) rule - Never fit new brakes the day before a holday or towing with a van and risk all your family whilst bedding in brakes, do it at least 500 miles before hand

Which reminds me... Must move the brake fitting up my list of priorities other wise I'll be bedding them in on the way to Dover ::)

Must ring Andyc ;D ;D

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2010, 09:13:45 »

ive fitted a fresh pair of disks n pads before n took it straight to mot the next day with no probs on passing so u should be ok.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.